Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Code 34?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:34 AM
JimmiesVixey
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Code 34?

Post from another thread:i have flashing airbag every once in while when i drive. some days it never lights. others it flashes every time i start it and drive it. sometimes it doesnt flash till 10miles down the road. sometimes it quits flashing until i start it again. any ideas? how do i read a flashing airbag light to get codes?

I now know its a code 34. the light blinks just like checking check engine light.
problem i have found is:

first, where can i find a list of codes and how to trouble shoot? i have googled till my eyes watered and cant find anything.

second, is this clockspring issue? my cruise control doesnt work and have this code? my horn works but looks like original owner put in a new horn- maybe to pass inspection with quick fix.

third, my abs light and brake light is on like my emergency brake is on. brake is not on and i have fiddled with it to see if its a bad connection shorting out to show brake is on. no change

thanks for any help guys

Old 02-28-2017, 07:42 AM
StephanieKY
New User
I found this:
"...PINPOINT TEST 34: DRIVER SIDE AIR BAG CIRCUIT LOW RESISTANCE OR SHORTED (CODE 34)
Normal Operation
The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance across Pin 10, Circuit 615 (GY/W) and Pin 11, Circuit 614 (GY/O) every time the key is turned to RUN. Normal resistance across these circuits is between 1.5 and 2.0 ohms. This resistance comes from the driver side air bag module (approximately 1.0 ohm) and the windings of the air bag sliding contact (0.25 to 0.5 ohm per winding, two windings in all). If the resistance across these two circuits is less than 0.7 ohm, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash Code 34 on the air bag lamp.
The connectors for the driver side air bag module and the air bag sliding contact have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 and 615 together when the connectors are not mated. Do not attempt to remove the air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the air bag. The air bag sliding contact shorting bar may be removed to measure the resistance of the air bag sliding contact. Use extreme care when reinstalling the shorting bar to make sure it is installed correctly.

Possible Causes
Low resistance across Pins 10 and 11 can be caused by:
(1) A poorly mated connector on the air bag sliding contact may not push the shorting bars back into their fully retracted positions.
(2) A faulty shorting bar may short Circuits 614 and 615 together.
(3) A short in the air bag sliding contact windings between Circuits 614 and 615.
(4) A short across the terminals within the driver side air bag module. DO NOT attempt a direct resistance measurement of the driver side air bag module. Follow the diagnostic procedures to determine if the driver side air bag module resistance is lower than normal.

34-1 CHECK FOR DTC 34
Key to RUN.
Count diagnostic trouble code (if any).
Is Code 34 flashing?

Yes
GO to «34-2».
34-2 MEASURE RESISTANCE
Turn ignition switch to OFF.
Deactivate system. Leave driver side air bag harness connector empty. (DO NOT install air bag simulator.)
Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor .
Remove plastic locking wedge from black harness connector.
Measure resistance across Pin 11 (Circuit 614, GY/O) and Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W).
Is resistance across Pins 10 and 11 infinite (open)?

No
READ the normal operation description for this code.

EXAMINE the code schematic and LOOK for areas where intermittent problems would occur (connectors, splices, crimps, etc.). DO NOT PROCEED with pinpoint test until the code is flashing! Failure to do so will result in needless replacement of the air bag diagnostic monitor and repeat service.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 AM
JimmiesVixey
Freshman User
yeah i found that last night but none of that makes any sense to me. like reading another language. i was hoping for a more step by step guide for help.
what does any of this mean?
thanks

Old 02-28-2017, 08:57 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,358 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by StephanieKY

34-1 CHECK FOR DTC 34
Key to RUN.
Count diagnostic trouble code (if any).
Is Code 34 flashing?

Yes
GO to «34-2».
34-2 MEASURE RESISTANCE

Measure resistance across Pin 11 (Circuit 614, GY/O) and Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W).
Is resistance across Pins 10 and 11 infinite (open)?

No
READ the normal operation description for this code.

EXAMINE the code schematic and LOOK for areas where intermittent problems would occur (connectors, splices, crimps, etc.). DO NOT PROCEED with pinpoint test until the code is flashing! Failure to do so will result in needless replacement of the air bag diagnostic monitor and repeat service.
It is step by step so is this any better? It is telling you to measure the resistance of the circuit.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 AM
JimmiesVixey
Freshman User
Deactivate system.how do i do this? Leave driver side air bag harness connector empty.how do i do this? (DO NOT install air bag simulatorwhat is this?.)
Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor how do i do this?where is this?.
Remove plastic locking wedge from black harness connector.how do i do this?
Measure resistance across Pin 11(what is Pin 11? 10? how do i measure? where are they? (Circuit 614, GY/O) and Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W).
Is resistance across Pins 10 and 11 infinite (open)?how do i do this? what does this mean? what is infinite(open)?

thats what i mean by step by step? then at the end it says read normal operation description? what is this? where do i find this info?
thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 AM
JimmiesVixey
Freshman User
i found this last night too. any ideas if this is useful info? do i need to replace clockspring?
thanks,

My air bag light is flashing code 34. I have tools and meters.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Deactivate system.how do i do this? By disconnecting the battery and waiting ~15 minutes.

Leave driver side air bag harness connector empty.how do i do this? That implies that you should disconnect the airbag from the harness inside the steering wheel. Remove the airbag by removing the 4 nuts on the back of the steering wheel, then disconnect the yellow electrical connector. Set the airbag somewhere safe, face UP. You won't hurt the airbag if you don't set it down face up, but in the unlikely event it somehow fires it won't launch into the air if it's face up. Don't be squeamish of handling the airbag though... the squib is electrically fired so it ain't like it's gonna go off if you handle it too roughly.

(DO NOT install air bag simulatorwhat is this? It's a resistor that Ford dealers use to simulate an airbag module being installed without actually having to install an airbag. That way if a firing signal is sent then it just gets shunted thru the resistor/simulator instead of blowing up an airbag and possibly hurting someone in the process.

Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor how do i do this?where is this? Blue box under the driver side of the dash. You disconnect it by disconnecting the electrical connectors that are plugged into it.

Remove plastic locking wedge from black harness connector.how do i do this? I'd have to look at the connector to say for sure but with most ford electrical connectors, if you look into the female end of the connector (the side that plugs into the device) you'll see a plastic bar between the two horizontal rows of pins. It just pulls straight out.

Measure resistance across Pin 11(what is Pin 11? 10? how do i measure? where are they? You measure resistance with an ohmmeter, these pin numbers refer to the numbered positions within an electrical connector. Most of the time there will be tiny numbers on the connector showing each position, OR the first and last positions will be numbered and you'll just have to count the pins from one of the numbered ones to get to the one you want.

(Circuit 614, GY/O) and Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W).
Is resistance across Pins 10 and 11 infinite (open)?how do i do this? what does this mean? what is infinite(open)? An open circuit is one where there is a break between the desired starting and ending points. You check this with an ohmmeter like I mentioned above, if there is an open circuit (infinite resistance) then most meters will show OL instead of a numerical value.

thats what i mean by step by step? then at the end it says read normal operation description? what is this? where do i find this info?

Basically saying to read the shop manual to find out how the system works normally.

And one last word here... you're obviously new to electrical troubleshooting so please do make sure you disconnect the battery and wait the 15-20 minutes before removing the airbag. And don't start any troubleshooting until you've actually done that (removed the airbag from the truck) because that's about the only part of the system that can physically hurt you.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:02 AM
JimmiesVixey
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dixie460
Deactivate system.how do i do this? By disconnecting the battery and waiting ~15 minutes.

Leave driver side air bag harness connector empty.how do i do this? That implies that you should disconnect the airbag from the harness inside the steering wheel. Remove the airbag by removing the 4 nuts on the back of the steering wheel, then disconnect the yellow electrical connector. Set the airbag somewhere safe, face UP. You won't hurt the airbag if you don't set it down face up, but in the unlikely event it somehow fires it won't launch into the air if it's face up. Don't be squeamish of handling the airbag though... the squib is electrically fired so it ain't like it's gonna go off if you handle it too roughly.

(DO NOT install air bag simulatorwhat is this? It's a resistor that Ford dealers use to simulate an airbag module being installed without actually having to install an airbag. That way if a firing signal is sent then it just gets shunted thru the resistor/simulator instead of blowing up an airbag and possibly hurting someone in the process.

Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor how do i do this?where is this? Blue box under the driver side of the dash. You disconnect it by disconnecting the electrical connectors that are plugged into it.

Remove plastic locking wedge from black harness connector.how do i do this? I'd have to look at the connector to say for sure but with most ford electrical connectors, if you look into the female end of the connector (the side that plugs into the device) you'll see a plastic bar between the two horizontal rows of pins. It just pulls straight out.

Measure resistance across Pin 11(what is Pin 11? 10? how do i measure? where are they? You measure resistance with an ohmmeter, these pin numbers refer to the numbered positions within an electrical connector. Most of the time there will be tiny numbers on the connector showing each position, OR the first and last positions will be numbered and you'll just have to count the pins from one of the numbered ones to get to the one you want.

(Circuit 614, GY/O) and Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W).
Is resistance across Pins 10 and 11 infinite (open)?how do i do this? what does this mean? what is infinite(open)? An open circuit is one where there is a break between the desired starting and ending points. You check this with an ohmmeter like I mentioned above, if there is an open circuit (infinite resistance) then most meters will show OL instead of a numerical value.

Basically saying to read the shop manual to find out how the system works normally.

And one last word here... you're obviously new to electrical troubleshooting so please do make sure you disconnect the battery and wait the 15-20 minutes before removing the airbag. And don't start any troubleshooting until you've actually done that (removed the airbag from the truck) because that's about the only part of the system that can physically hurt you.
Dixie- thanks so much....this helps soooooooooooooo much. i really appreciate a break down. im new to the truck world and havent really worked on a car since i was 17 and had a 92' firebird. this is a new animal altogether for me.

anyone have any info on the other link i posted about the clockspring?

thanks

Old 03-01-2017, 04:40 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,358 Likes on 1,073 Posts
I didn't see another thread. Run the test here first. A broken/defective clockspring can cause airbag faults but you need to diagnose before throwing parts and money at it.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:12 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You're welcome, always glad to help and encourage.

As for your other thread, I don't see one either. If you mean this post where you hijacked StephanieKY's thread, then that's why you didn't get a reply. It's considered rude to take over (hijack) someone's thread when they are discussing a different topic than you are.

As My4FordTrucks said, do the test here first then post back with results.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:03 PM
JimmiesVixey
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dixie460
You're welcome, always glad to help and encourage.

As for your other thread, I don't see one either. If you mean this post where you hijacked StephanieKY's thread, then that's why you didn't get a reply. It's considered rude to take over (hijack) someone's thread when they are discussing a different topic than you are.

As My4FordTrucks said, do the test here first then post back with results.
sorry I didn't mean to "hijack"....I posted a link on post number 6 about the clockspring. Maybe someone would like to pm me about it so the op can continue to get their help they need without my piggybacking
thanks