2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Platinum needs new engine?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 PM
maypo59
Tuned
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I have had the "pleasure" of having TWO engines replaced under warranty, one a short block, one a long block. It was before the carfax days for both of them, but the fact was disclosed when traded, not an issue.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:32 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by amorello
... At this point they have now agreed to offer a 7 year /200k power train extended warranty for free. Don't know if there is much else to do, they are fixing the truck and at least for the time being I am in an Expedition vs the original loaner Focus which sucked.
Sounds like a good deal to me. I'd ask for 8 years though as their extended warranty can run that long. If you'll put 200K miles on it, it is sounds like a great deal to me.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 PM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts
Shame to hear about this but ***** happens and Ford will make good. However, you might want to talk to a lawyer - not about suing but about him writing a letter demanding they buy the truck back/replace it with a new one! Perhaps a lemon lawyer can get it done for you. Worth a discussion for sure.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I'm not sure why a lot of you guys feel a factory-replaced engine is such a bad thing. I think it is a good thing! If my engine blew right now with 6.5k miles on it, I'd be unhappy about the inconvenience but very happy about the new engine and possible extended warranty!

I don't think it devalues...it tells the perspective buyer the engine is younger than the rest of the truck. If anything, it adds value, particularly when the engine is factory new / dealer replaced.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Canwan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I'm not sure why a lot of you guys feel a factory-replaced engine is such a bad thing. I think it is a good thing! If my engine blew right now with 6.5k miles on it, I'd be unhappy about the inconvenience but very happy about the new engine and possible extended warranty!

I don't think it devalues...it tells the perspective buyer the engine is younger than the rest of the truck. If anything, it adds value, particularly when the engine is factory new / dealer replaced.
IMO there are two schools of thought on this. You need to find the buyer with the same attitude that it adds value.

I tend to be the opposite. I like the robots putting in all the nuts and bolts and torquing them. The Ford mechanic changing the motor, no matter how good of a mechanic is still hasn't likely changed more than a handful of motors. He is not going to look at the book and torque every but and bolt perfectly. Also if he ends up with a bold or two all said and done, he probably isn't going to look to hard to find out where the spare parts belong.

With that being said, if the mechanic does his job properly, and you are putting in a NEW engine, there really should not be any issues.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 AM
maypo59
Tuned
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
Shame to hear about this but ***** happens and Ford will make good. However, you might want to talk to a lawyer - not about suing but about him writing a letter demanding they buy the truck back/replace it with a new one! Perhaps a lemon lawyer can get it done for you. Worth a discussion for sure.
Perhaps you should look into how lemon laws work..

He needs to have the same problem, unresolved, over multiple attempts..

ie: 3 new engines from now, he has a lemon law case.

My brother had to go through that once.. We learned all about how they work.

In my state, it goes like this:

In KY, a vehicle is considered a lemon if:
  • It has a fault within the first 12,000 miles on the odometer or 12 months of purchase (whichever comes first).
    AND
  • The issue cannot be repaired after 4 attempts OR the problem causes your vehicle to be out of service for at least 30 days.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:34 PM
amorello
New User
Well still no truck yet. I have not gotten any word from the dealer at all. The only information I have gotten was from the Ford customer service manager. He called a week ago to tell me the truck would be done by Friday. Well that time has come and gone and I went to the dealership only to see the same site, the truck on a lift with the front end off. The service writer had no clue what was going on and did not even know if the parts had arrived. I have been calling Ford customer service rep and emailing him but no response. Also called dealership service manager with no response. I keep emailing Ford rep that if they can't fix the problem or supply the parts they need to buy truck back. I asked the sales manager to trade me out of this truck and sell me a new one. As expected they offered 55K on the trade. Guess they don't think selling a used truck with a replaced motor at 6k will be so easy. Not going well at all.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Unacceptable customer service.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:55 PM
REPO.
Senior User
I'm not sure why a lot of you guys feel a factory-replaced engine is such a bad thing. I think it is a good thing!
Well this isn't a factory replaced motor for one thing.....its dealer replaced. And secondly, it's not a complete motor, it's a short block. Unless something has changed, in my world, a short block is just the block,crankshaft, pistons/rods.
EVERYTHING else has to be swapped over, including heads. There is ALOT of room for error. Now you are relying on a mechanic that MAY, or MAY NOT have the qualifications/experience to do this.
I would be much more accepting if they were doing a complete drop-in engine.

I've lived this experience once before. It didn't go well. In the long run I ended up getting a second (complete) engine within 3 months of the first.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:52 AM
K2500Z71
Senior User
Originally Posted by amorello
Well still no truck yet. I have not gotten any word from the dealer at all. The only information I have gotten was from the Ford customer service manager. He called a week ago to tell me the truck would be done by Friday. Well that time has come and gone and I went to the dealership only to see the same site, the truck on a lift with the front end off. The service writer had no clue what was going on and did not even know if the parts had arrived. I have been calling Ford customer service rep and emailing him but no response. Also called dealership service manager with no response. I keep emailing Ford rep that if they can't fix the problem or supply the parts they need to buy truck back. I asked the sales manager to trade me out of this truck and sell me a new one. As expected they offered 55K on the trade. Guess they don't think selling a used truck with a replaced motor at 6k will be so easy. Not going well at all.
Well if this drags on another couple of weeks, you'll be at the "30 days out of service" point which qualifies it as a lemon in many states.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:52 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The new warranty offer is a good deal if you can get the truck back.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:03 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The new warranty offer is a good deal if you can get the truck back.
I agree! Heck, I'd let them change my engine at my dealer if I could get that kind of warranty for free and there is nothing wrong with mine...

Old 03-15-2017, 07:30 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I agree! Heck, I'd let them change my engine at my dealer if I could get that kind of warranty for free and there is nothing wrong with mine...
I'd be pissed it's dragging out, I know one thing, I would drive it close to, but sell it before the new warranty is up.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:42 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by REPO.
Well this isn't a factory replaced motor for one thing.....its dealer replaced. And secondly, it's not a complete motor, it's a short block. Unless something has changed, in my world, a short block is just the block,crankshaft, pistons/rods.
EVERYTHING else has to be swapped over, including heads. There is ALOT of room for error. Now you are relying on a mechanic that MAY, or MAY NOT have the qualifications/experience to do this.
I would be much more accepting if they were doing a complete drop-in engine.

I've lived this experience once before. It didn't go well. In the long run I ended up getting a second (complete) engine within 3 months of the first.
What I meant was a factory "replacement" motor, I realize the dealer does the work.

Yes, you are correct on a short block. But replacing the heads is not rocket science...there are no cams in the heads like on many vehicles. The shortblock might well come already with the cam and fuel pump pre-timed to the crank. So basically, new head gaskets, bolt heads down with proper sequence and torque values. After that, its all just ancillary equipment: turbo, EGR cooler, fuel lines, wiring, exhaust, etc. If I had the cab off the truck, I'd do this job myself fairly confidently.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 AM
JasonB1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I meant was a factory "replacement" motor, I realize the dealer does the work.

Yes, you are correct on a short block. But replacing the heads is not rocket science...there are no cams in the heads like on many vehicles. The shortblock might well come already with the cam and fuel pump pre-timed to the crank. So basically, new head gaskets, bolt heads down with proper sequence and torque values. After that, its all just ancillary equipment: turbo, EGR cooler, fuel lines, wiring, exhaust, etc. If I had the cab off the truck, I'd do this job myself fairly confidently.
You are right about all, especially the the extended warranty part. Literally every buyer views this as an advantage.

OP (assuming he's not a troll, since we have had a few of those lately) will get the truck back and put many trouble-free miles on it. Then, if he sells it in a few years, it will still have an extended warranty on it, though he didn't say what type. Any used buyer will see this an advantage.

Quick Reply: 2017 Platinum needs new engine?????