1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 F-250 V10

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Sucker4aford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still trying

Originally Posted by Sucker4aford
My 2000 F-250 V10 won't start has a new alternator and new starter all it does is Click when I turn the key?
the starter i bought was bad so i returned it and put the new one in and it sarted right up ran fine for about 10 min then the battery light came on i shut the truck off tryed to start it and nothing just click one click just like it was doing in the first place so the only thing i havent replaced is the battery so im gonna try that and see what happens?? Any ideas would help and any sugestions about what kind and size battery would be appreciated also

Old 03-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
Granted a lot of new parts, but check all the connectors for corrosion. When ever I clean a connector I will put some of the nickel never seize on it and that seems to stop future corrosion.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Sucker4aford
New User
Still trying

I checked the battery it's fine I brought it to a company and they checked it and said that it's in working order truck was running battery light came on I turned it off went to turn it back on and just the click again the same click the same thing it was doing when I first got it and replaced all these parts I have a new alternator good battery new starter new wires from the battery to the starter and from the battery to the alternator all brand new don't know where to go next going to pull out the starter and check it again this is the second starter the first starter I got reconditioned was bad I brought it back and got this starter which is also reconditioned don't understand what is going on??? Running out of things to try or replace??

Old 03-28-2017, 05:06 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
At a certain point, you'll probably just need to take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked the battery it's fine I brought it to a company and they checked it and said that it's in working order truck was running battery light came on I turned it off went to turn it back on and just the click again the same click the same thing it was doing when I first got it and replaced all these parts I have a new alternator good battery new starter new wires from the battery to the starter and from the battery to the alternator all brand new don't know where to go next going to pull out the starter and check it again this is the second starter the first starter I got reconditioned was bad I brought it back and got this starter which is also reconditioned don't understand what is going on??? Running out of things to try or replace??
If your battery dashlight is still illuminated, your alternator isn't charging. Your engine can still run on the batteries for a time but won't last long. Once you've drained those batteries from running without an alternator, you probably don't have enough current to restart.
Again, get a vom and check the batteries when static for a reference voltage. Start the truck and check the voltage at the battery terminals after and expect to see between 13.4-14.2 volts. Not a bad idea to also check the voltage at the large terminal on the alternator, knowing you will see a slight drop in voltage due to wire resistance.
If not, replace the alternator...again.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:30 AM
Sucker4aford
New User
Thank u i will check the alternator again. I pulled the new,new starter and it is also bad??? So i dnt know if im just haveing really bad luck or what but im gonna buy a new one and seevif that makes a diferance? Also the mark twain comment not sure why that would be directed to me i dnt want to take it to a shop until i have no choice because 80to 100 $ a hour is somthing i cant really aford right now

Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also the mark twain comment not sure why that would be directed to me i dnt want to take it to a shop until i have no choice because 80to 100 $ a hour is somthing i cant really aford right now
I hear you. We really all want to help here. Sometimes we will list possible solutions but people don't read the comments close enough and then ask the same questions over and over.
Also, the tech folder is a great resource as well as the particular "forum" search function.
Some people ask the same questions that have numerous responses to their solution but they never dig in to find those answers.
Some claim that they don't have time and want others to do their homework!
However, Nobody wants to offend others here.
We all hope you find your solution... It will be the alternator or connections from the alternator. Did you do the screwdriver test as advised?