Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2017 f150 Lariat upfitter switches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Native Images
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2017 f150 Lariat upfitter switches?

Does anyone one know if the wiring is there on the upfitter overhead console for the 2017 f150 lariat with tow package? I'm still at dealership for wheel well liner, brake controller and mudflap install and I got to look at a 2017 Raptor and saw the upfitter switches and heated steering wheel...so I asked parts kid for upfitter switch install options and heated steering wheel upgrade....does any ford experts know the answer cause the kid is not sure if the upgrades are available for the 2017 f150 lariat with tow package Supercrew...thank you...by the way that raptor is real kewl....I want it...ya baby...$78K....ouch....$10K over retail market...

Old 02-24-2017, 08:12 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haven't heard one way or another, but do post when you find out. I'm dying for some switches and there isn't any room on the dash as it is....

Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
The new Super Duty upfiiter switches will fit the F150. I don't know if the wiring harness is compatible though.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:26 PM
2016BoostedGreyGoose
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wiring is NOT there. It is a DIY upgrade mod. A few of us have done this. I even make a custom upfitter harness that runs from the upfitter console down the driver side A pillar and into the engine compartment where it gets pinned and connected to the upfitter relay box....... While I was in there I even added and enabled the intrusion sensor. This is on a 2016 F150 XLT 302a Sport......

Old 10-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I like the idea, but wonder about whether I love it enough to justify the cost. What is the total cost, with the new overhead console, switches, relay box, your wiring harness, and anything else a DIY person would need?

Old 10-09-2018, 10:59 PM
2016BoostedGreyGoose
Senior User
Honestly if you have to ask about price in the context that you did....it is too expensive. (please note, this is not a put down or a judgement on you personally... ) I will be the 1st to say that mods like this is not for everyone. You have to be committed. lol
I only provide my harness as a way to solve bigger problem when adding this to a truck that didnt come with the upfitter overhead console....and that is to GREATLY simplify the wiring and solve bridges as to where to connect what where and why. I dont remember my total cost when I did this. I started out just trying to solve an issue those trying this before me faced and it spiraled out of control. If I had to guess I would say all parts required to do this is about $600.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
I'm not offended and don't think you meant it to be offensive. I think you nailed it in seeing that it just doesn't have enough value for me to spend $600 and the time required to install it.
I don't have anything to hook up to it right now, but I could probably find something to hook up if it was a $100 mod.

Having said that, I'd buy an F150 with the switches built in if they offered it from the factory. I had considered a SuperDuty before settling on the F150...the overhead switches were on my list of things I wanted on the truck when I was looking at those SuperDuty trucks.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:48 PM
2016BoostedGreyGoose
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
I'm not offended and don't think you meant it to be offensive. I think you nailed it in seeing that it just doesn't have enough value for me to spend $600 and the time required to install it.
I don't have anything to hook up to it right now, but I could probably find something to hook up if it was a $100 mod.

Having said that, I'd buy an F150 with the switches built in if they offered it from the factory. I had considered a SuperDuty before settling on the F150...the overhead switches were on my list of things I wanted on the truck when I was looking at those SuperDuty trucks.
Thanks, it def wasnt meant to be offensive. As it stands the only F150 that gets the upfitter console from the factory is the Raptor. For the rest of us...its left up to us to solve the riddle of the missing upfitter console.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:08 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
If I recall, the switches aren't all that expensive. I'd buy the switch panel, and power them all through a relay with direct power from the battery. Making a harness isn't a big deal. The biggest cost is the factory switches, but not $600. Just gotta roll up the sleeves and get on it.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:53 PM
2016BoostedGreyGoose
Senior User
Originally Posted by smokewagun
If I recall, the switches aren't all that expensive. I'd buy the switch panel, and power them all through a relay with direct power from the battery. Making a harness isn't a big deal. The biggest cost is the factory switches, but not $600. Just gotta roll up the sleeves and get on it.
Well... please share pics of your harness and relay(s) that you end up using. Curious to see how yours comes out.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:52 PM
wgierczynski
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Native Images
Does anyone one know if the wiring is there on the upfitter overhead console for the 2017 f150 lariat with tow package? I'm still at dealership for wheel well liner, brake controller and mudflap install and I got to look at a 2017 Raptor and saw the upfitter switches and heated steering wheel...so I asked parts kid for upfitter switch install options and heated steering wheel upgrade....does any ford experts know the answer cause the kid is not sure if the upgrades are available for the 2017 f150 lariat with tow package Supercrew...thank you...by the way that raptor is real kewl....I want it...ya baby...$78K....ouch....$10K over retail market...
My 2017 Lariat before I send it out to Roush had Heated Steering Wheel from Factory. I have 502A package in my and its standard on 502A. Also Fiendly Ford in Roselle, IL. by me has couple 2018 Raptors with 802A package (highest one) window stickers are at $69,500.00

Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 2016BoostedGreyGoose
Well... please share pics of your harness and relay(s) that you end up using. Curious to see how yours comes out.
Not sure if I'll add them to this truck, but I get your sarcasm. 😜
Not directed specifically at you, Boosted, but it's Funny how us guys who wired our own lights, winches, brakes, trailers, etc. loooong before relays were en vogue, are stupid when it comes to wiring up some accessories in a new truck because everything has to be plug and play.
A lot of assumptions on my part, but I figure other than the pretty molded plugs that are probably on the switches Ford uses, they are probably dumb animals that open and close the circuit. They just look prettier. Unless a guy needs to power a massive power draw winch that needs overload protection and such, I can't see the average guy needing to spend big money to integrate the switches into a fancy harness like Ford does with several different amp ratings on the Superduty.
Most aux switches I see used are for raptor lights, board lights, etc. A simple add-on fuse box powered by a switched relay is more than enough for most, and has worked for me for about 40 years. Even me rewiring a portion of my FIL's '56 Chevy has eliminated issues that almost left him in the dark. I guess I'd rather take a simple route, but I can see someone feeling the need to duplicate the factory harness.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:05 PM
2016BoostedGreyGoose
Senior User

Not sure if I'll add them to this truck, but I get your sarcasm. 😜
Not directed specifically at you, Boosted, but it's Funny how us guys who wired our own lights, winches, brakes, trailers, etc. loooong before relays were en vogue, are stupid when it comes to wiring up some accessories in a new truck because everything has to be plug and play.
A lot of assumptions on my part, but I figure other than the pretty molded plugs that are probably on the switches Ford uses, they are probably dumb animals that open and close the circuit. They just look prettier. Unless a guy needs to power a massive power draw winch that needs overload protection and such, I can't see the average guy needing to spend big money to integrate the switches into a fancy harness like Ford does with several different amp ratings on the Superduty.
Most aux switches I see used are for raptor lights, board lights, etc. A simple add-on fuse box powered by a switched relay is more than enough for most, and has worked for me for about 40 years. Even me rewiring a portion of my FIL's '56 Chevy has eliminated issues that almost left him in the dark. I guess I'd rather take a simple route, but I can see someone feeling the need to duplicate the factory harness.
Lol, I think I like you!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic

...............but I figure other than the pretty molded plugs that are probably on the switches Ford uses, they are probably dumb animals that open and close the circuit. They just look prettier. .....
...............Most aux switches I see used are for raptor lights, board lights, etc. A simple add-on fuse box powered by a switched relay is more than enough for most, and has worked for me for about 40 years....
You are correct. The factory switches just look nicer and are a clean install. They simply dictate which relay to close in the factory relay box. I do like the look of the factory switches, since they have that 'made at the factory' look.
Part of why I see less value in the whole setup is that I've already added 4 relays for my front LED aux driving lights (I created a harness to tie into the factory LED lights using factory connectors and the aux lights have DRL, low beam, high beam, and turn signal functions...which automatically mimic the factory lights through relays). I do have an override switch I mounted inside the truck which is tied to a main power relay to kill the 12V going to all the other relay's terminal 30....in case I want everything off. I still need to do the turn signals, those are not hooked up yet. Here are the lights I bought..they are LED, road legal, and made by a great company here in the US.... https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/l...632-evolution/

I did consider buying the Ford accessory switches and doing my own relays in a weatherproof relay box that holds 6 relays and their fuses. However, I got excited and installed it all before ordering the relay box. So, if I redid it all...it would be a bit of work with little gain other than the nice overhead switches.

That's probably more of the reason I don't want to pony up the added $$. With all those relays, I still only have a single switch in the cab because I have already automated all the functions with the relays. I did choose relays with a freewheeling diode to protect the factory computer, since they are tied to it.

For guys that need plug and play, 2016BoostedGreyGoose's harness is surely a godsend. But, like you, I grew up doing this for friends...so I roll my own.
The only note I'll add is to ALWAYS use relays with a resistor or diode (you can buy relays with them built in) if you will be using a factory computer as your trigger. Otherwise, when the magnetic field collapses, a very low power (but high voltage) spike will ping the factory computer and eventually mess it up. Optionally, you can use electronic relays that won't do this...but good ones are pricey.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Brett Busse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2016BoostedGreyGoose
Wiring is NOT there. It is a DIY upgrade mod. A few of us have done this. I even make a custom upfitter harness that runs from the upfitter console down the driver side A pillar and into the engine compartment where it gets pinned and connected to the upfitter relay box....... While I was in there I even added and enabled the intrusion sensor. This is on a 2016 F150 XLT 302a Sport......

Anybody know where you get the insert to install these switches into the mesh part of the overhead console. Can’t find anything anywhere

Quick Reply: 2017 f150 Lariat upfitter switches?