1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with CB radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:54 PM
SuperDutyJoeJoe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with CB radio

Hey guys,

for this upcoming hunting season a few buddies and I have decided to add some cb's to our trucks for easier communication out of cell range.

With that, I scored an old Pace CB at a yard sale last week for a couple dollars and the guy threw in three different antennas. My question is, when I got it all hooked up and keyed the mic, it just squeels really loud. It looks as though the cord on the old Pace mic is worn and maybe making a bad connection. Would this cause the squeeling i'm experiencing.

I have been reading/learning a lot about CB's and realize that there are a lot of other factors such as location of antennae, length of coax cable, ensuring a good ground, etc. But, theoretically, if all else is good, could the mic be the problem?

Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
For a CB to work right, the antenna has to be matched to it. It's not a major deal but it makes all the difference. Also the alignment of the internals. Take it in with the antenna to a CB shop, you may find one still around. Shouldn't cost very much and they can set you up real quick.

Before you do that, pull the cover. You'll see some big "cans", those are electrolytic capacitors. Replace those with equal or greater voltage and capacitance rating. Just a soldering iron and some rosin core solder.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:38 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes a bad cord can do that.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Does that CB go to eleven?

What can also do that is a phenomenon known as "feedback".
This can occur if the speaker volume is too loud and the microphone is used too near the speaker.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:38 AM
SuperDutyJoeJoe
New User
Is it worth it to go through all that for this old CB, SWR, and new mic? Or should I just buy a new Cobra and be done?

Old 02-23-2017, 02:12 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Probably. I had a DeLuxe Kraco in my 64 when I got it. So it was just somethin' ta do. Took it in to Red's, and he growled at a tech in the back "Get him the $15 tune up" Works great, though.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Pace has been out of business since the 1980's.

your problem. most likely is mic cable damage/broken..
you will have bigger issues.. with this.. a low dollar unit and 35 plus years old.. its trash. my opinion.

its called de-tuning from age. and capacitors dry out from age..

Old 02-23-2017, 12:57 PM
cra_fizzer
New User
Why not just use FRS radios?

Old 02-23-2017, 02:35 PM
SuperDutyJoeJoe
New User
Originally Posted by cra_fizzer
Why not just use FRS radios?
We've been using FRS radios for years, they work fairly well and every couple of years get a little bit better. I guess I was just looking at another option... I may not do it after all as it seems to be a pretty finicky system. New top of the line FRS might be a better way to spend my money.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:15 PM
OneCylinder
Senior User
I would say check the mic cord, plug and key-up switch. When you key up a CB the reciever on the CB is shut off and the transmitter is turned on. It can only work this way because a CB transmits and recieves on the same frequency. A cell phone by contrast transmits on one frequency and recieves on another frequency, so keying a mic is not needed. I would first off check the mic wiring for continuity or shorts.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:41 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyJoeJoe
Is it worth it to go through all that for this old CB, SWR, and new mic? Or should I just buy a new Cobra and be done?
You'll still need to set the SWR's with a new radio and antenna.(if you don't do this the radio won't last long) Be that as it may, old CB's are as someone else said "junk". Go to a CB shop, ask for a "peaked and tuned" Cobra. I like Wilson antennas, but there are other good'uns out there too. Let them run the coax then set the SWR's for you. Range is a variable, it's affected by the output of the radio and the antenna capability plus the terrain and weather conditions and how many others are talking (not so much a problem today as it once was) If you really want to "get out there" you'll need a linear (amplifier) to do that. Minus the linear a new peaked and tuned Cobra, coax and antenna plus installation will run you about $300

Old 02-24-2017, 06:30 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 941 Likes on 580 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyJoeJoe
That's what I did. I only use it once a year on a Florida vacation trip. Here's what I got:
Cobra HH-Roadtrip CB Radio
I also bought a hand held microphone for it. I tuck the radio under the center console. If I remember correctly, the mic also acts as a speaker so I can hear the radio without having the whole unit near my ear and in the way somewhere.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 AM
redmt79
Senior User
I would double check to make sure the PA switch is off (if it has one). If on, it would cause a lot of squealing if an external speaker is not hooked up.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:27 PM
New6.2
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You say you and your friends are installing cb radios. If you think the mic is bad why not just try one of their mics on your radio as they are interchangeable. That would be a free test.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
More than likely it is either a bad mic, or quite possibly it's nothing other than you keyed the mic while it was too close to the radio's speaker. That will cause feedback, even if the gear is working properly.

I would not throw $100 in parts, etc into a $5 radio. But I threw all my CB's in the garbage 20 years ago. They were a useful tool in the 70's, but the radio trash took over the band and turned it to garbage in the 80's. Get yourself some high end FRS band radios and enjoy the higher quality radios, band, and peace and quiet.

Quick Reply: Help with CB radio