6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Constant Regens!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 AM
bradley1152
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Constant Regens!!!

Hello community, first post here, got a issue I'd like to run by some experts.

On Monday I installed an AFE CAI, truck is all stock with that exception. Since the install every time I start the truck within five minutes of startup the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" displays. I of course drive around until this process has completed, but before I installed the intake I'd go through at least two tanks before an active regen.

This is my first diesel so I'm pretty ignorant to this. My DPF/CAT delete pipes and tuner will be here on Friday and this garbage is coming off anyway but I'm just curious of why this may be occurring. Could it be that I'm taking in too much air and the exhaust back pressure sensor just can't figure out what's going on and forces the regen?

Thanks for any info anyone can give me. And I sure hope this doesn't turn into a WebMD style thread where it turns out my truck has freaking cancer!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way to understand this is with a scan tool which your tuner will probably accomplish.

Which "off road racing test pipe" did you select?
Which "off road racing tuner" did you select?

It is fun and aspiring sport to be involved in!!

Chances are you have a soft code thrown that is not causing the Check Engine Light or the Wrench light, yet.

Chances are that the DPF Back Pressure Sensor is reporting that there is significant pressure in the DPF, then the computer is issuing regeneration. There is also a PID to see that regeneration is active or completed.

Are you driving the truck long enough and far enough for the regeneration to complete?

Does your new "off road racing tuner" require the DPF Back Pressure in place as well as the EGT sensors in place? You need to know this before attempting to remove the stock components, the sensors do not fair well when you attempt to remove them.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 AM
bradley1152
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
The only way to understand this is with a scan tool which your tuner will probably accomplish.

Which "off road racing test pipe" did you select?
Which "off road racing tuner" did you select?

It is fun and aspiring sport to be involved in!!

Chances are you have a soft code thrown that is not causing the Check Engine Light or the Wrench light, yet.

Chances are that the DPF Back Pressure Sensor is reporting that there is significant pressure in the DPF, then the computer is issuing regeneration. There is also a PID to see that regeneration is active or completed.

Are you driving the truck long enough and far enough for the regeneration to complete?

Does your new "off road racing tuner" require the DPF Back Pressure in place as well as the EGT sensors in place? You need to know this before attempting to remove the stock components, the sensors do not fair well when you attempt to remove them.

I ordered the DPF-R 4.0 Plus and MBRP 4" CAT/DPF delete pipe without bungs from www.dieselops.com. Currently I have the Automatic OBD-II scanner hooked up and I use the OBD Fusion app as a monitor. The Automatic always me to view and clear check engine lights. But I cannot see if there is a soft code being thrown. Guess I'll have to look into a new monitor...any suggestions for a good/low priced one that I can get the wife to buy off on?

As far as I know the tuner will allow me to remove the exhaust sensors, but for now I'm planning on leaving the EGR system intact until I have the money set aside to purchase the wastegated EGR delete, unless of course that's not really necessary because I will only have the option to run a +70 HP tow tune or stock tune with the DPF-R.

my drive to and from work is about 40 minutes with an average speed of 45 mph. I always do the systems check about two miles before I get to work/home to ensure the process has completed, if not I just keep driving(Forest Gump voice).

Hope I answered your questions, and thank you!

Old 02-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bradley1152
I ordered the DPF-R 4.0 Plus and MBRP 4" CAT/DPF delete pipe without bungs from
I'm not fully familiar with the capabilities of that "off road racing tuner" though their process flow shows that the turner can recognize and clear codes, hopefully on the multiple busses.