Bronco II Ford Bronco II

RATS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:13 PM
The.Green.Machine
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RATS!

Alright guys, if y'all can help me, I'd really appreciate it and I'll buy the beers if you make a trip to ga sometime haha

I have a new to me 1989 bronco II with the 2.9 in it. Rats have seemed to have chewed through some wires running the fuel pump and I have no clue where they go. 2 wires, 1 is purple, the other is purple with orange tracer, damn rats chewed it out of the heavily taped wrapping. This is on the driver side just beside the ignition coil and on the quarter panel wall. The same set of wires that runs behind the radiator reservoir.
The set is just beside the starter solenoid to the left and it comes off of a relay. It's a red wire and a blue wire.
This is the last one it's a blue wire and it's just above and to the right of the heater core and it comes through with a bunch of other wires but that's the only one in the convoluted tubing I think that it goes over to the one with the second picture blue wire but I'm not a hundred percent sure.
any help would be greatly appreciated I'm waiting on my girlfriend get back with the Haynes manual so that I can try to track this down on my own but any help would be great. Thanks guys!

EDIT: found another set of wires by the air box that are chewed up bad
It appears to be a yellow with red tracer, green with brown tracer, pink with green tracer, black with white tracer and brown with red tracer, maybe it went to a relay harness??

Last edited by The.Green.Machine; 02-21-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Found another set by air box
Old 02-23-2017, 03:47 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mice/rats and wiring are the worst. I hear that the newer vehicles with biodegradable soy wiring insulation taste even better to mice... so at least you don't have that problem. I have found the haynes manuals to be useless. A Ford service manual that you can buy at online auction sites has the diagrams that work based on the year you have. What you may need to do is cut off a lot more of that wiring loom and get back to wiring that is clean and fresh, then compare colors on both sides. Wiring that hasn't been exposed can have a very different color. Good luck

Old 02-23-2017, 08:06 PM
The.Green.Machine
New User
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
mice/rats and wiring are the worst. I hear that the newer vehicles with biodegradable soy wiring insulation taste even better to mice... so at least you don't have that problem. I have found the haynes manuals to be useless. A Ford service manual that you can buy at online auction sites has the diagrams that work based on the year you have. What you may need to do is cut off a lot more of that wiring loom and get back to wiring that is clean and fresh, then compare colors on both sides. Wiring that hasn't been exposed can have a very different color. Good luck
thanks, I actually did cut the wire looms back, can't find any other broken wires so I'm assuming they ate whatever it was off. I found out that the set with 5 wires actually went to the EEC test port, the one with the yellow and the blue wire goes to the fog lights switch. However, the ones on the driver side with the dark purple and white, lighter purple and white and the purple and orange are still yet to be found. I was thinking maybe it went to some sort of component that was eaten in the process. The Chilton manual I have does not have any purple and white wires on it and says the purple and orange goes to the backup light switch or the turn signal switch. My turn signals work so I guess it goes to reverse lights... if anyone can take a pic of any components that may be there with the right color wires I would appreciate it. I hope that damn rat got a piece of copper wire stuck up its rear lol. And yeah, the Haynes and Chilton has the wrong color wires to the Fuel Pump from the inertia switch, it says black and pink, but it is actually pink and black so I was chasing power for the wrong wire. And now I gotta replace the fuel pump, I traced the right wire and got power and ground at fuel pump but wasn't operating. At least I'm making some leeway. BTW, anyone that is tired of pulling the tank to try to fix the sending unit brass float, Dorman makes a better one that is fuel resistant plastic and will not have that issue. I'm waiting for mine in the mail. I spend like $100 of amazon for the pump and sending unit.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:58 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Glad you posted about the fuel sender. Mine is sunk I believe. Reading empty non stop. If I drop the tank it's getting replaced. I would take some pics for you but I have a carburetor equipped 1985 and the wiring is probably different.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:57 AM
The.Green.Machine
New User
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Glad you posted about the fuel sender. Mine is sunk I believe. Reading empty non stop. If I drop the tank it's getting replaced. I would take some pics for you but I have a carburetor equipped 1985 and the wiring is probably different.
well I'd appreciate it if you could take a peak and just see if you got same color wires(purple and white and a darker purple and white). May go to some sort of light or something, I honestly have no clue. And yeah, it was a pain to drop the tank, was about half full haha, and of course the bolts were rusted to hell and back. Your brass float may have fallen off in the tank if you have been doing any offroading. But definitely order a new pump and sender unit off of amazon, autozone here was gonna be about $200 for full setup, amazon was $103. Mine will be here tomorrow so the ol lady and me get to get down and dirty... then maybe we will put the fuel pump in haha

Old 02-28-2017, 08:33 AM
The.Green.Machine
New User
Alright, got the new pump in and sending unit, now I am getting plenty of fuel pressure. Still won't start, all plugs firing, will try to start but it's like it's flooding it. I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator cause there is fuel in the vacuum lines. That's gotta be a busted diaphram right? I have a good battery and fresh gas, so it's gotta be, from what I can figure, either injectors or fuel pressure regulator, but as far as I know only the regulator would allow fuel into vac. Lines. Opinions??

Old 02-28-2017, 08:45 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
I agree that the regulator sounds bad. I would hook up a noid light to the injector plugs and see if it pulses, then you will know for sure they are good. A full set of injector noid lights is really cheap on amazon and I have used mine more than I thought I would. I looked yesterday at mine and I don't seem to even have those wires in that spot. You want to compare to another fuel injected one for sure. My last thought is this: a few years ago I bought a 1982 Corvette for 2 grand because the owner had rebuilt the fuel injection system, rewired stuff and spent a boatload of money trying to make it run and gave up. Turns out his new spark plugs had fouled out from fuel soaking. Changed them and enjoyed cruising the next few years in a cheap Vette that ran great. Perhaps if all else fails, your plugs could be bad.