2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 random exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 AM
Schilling1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 random exhaust leak

I took delivery of my truck last week. 2017 F250 platinum . The truck had 4 miles on it. When I got in it I could immediately smell exhaust in the cab. The salesman had the passenger door open and said it was from the truck next to us. I drive it home still smelling it. The next day I could smell it again. Even had an employee get in it and he could instantly smell it. I took it back in and they said they couldn't duplicate it. I went up there and no smell. Drove it home again and it randomly started. Sometimes the smell is in the cab and sometimes I smell it under the hood. Other times, nothing. When it occurs the smell is very strong and gives me a headache. I just want to give them back the truck. Suggestions?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:39 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
Are you 100% sure it's the exhaust? I've had many new vehicles have a "burn in" smell when brand new as oils/assembly lubes/etc. burn off. Even new plastic under the hood as it initially heat cycles can have a certain aroma that might be confused with exhaust. Both can be smelled from inside the cab. Not saying you're wrong, but I've had that happen and thought the same only to find it was gone after some miles.

Sorry about your issue but welcome to FTE and congrats on the new truck. Let us know what you find out.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:30 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,655 Likes on 2,736 Posts
Mine had a nasty smell for a couple hundred miles. It seems to be tapering off. Get it hot!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:39 AM
Schilling1
New User
I have about 500 miles on truck. Smell came back yesterday so dropped it off at dealership yesterday. Stayed for an hour never duplicated smell after several start ups. The center console retractable storage bend is not closing once opened so they're going to replace the part and continue to start/stop truck to try and replicate problem. Maybe something is still burning off that has an exhaust smell. I love the truck so hope it goes away!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:45 AM
Frosty31
New User
This forum has been great for information and after reading for some time I've joined. Concerning the diesel smell in the cab I had the same thing right away as mentioned.
What was found is that the clamp was missing off the back of the turbo and allowed the smell in the cab when the air wasn't on recirculating. The bad thing is to get to the clamp the manifold needs to be removed. Have the dealer look harder, they will find it.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:49 AM
Schilling1
New User
Thanks so much for the info. Any chance you have a pic of clamp?

Old 02-21-2017, 05:56 AM
Frosty31
New User
I don't but the worm gear on the clamp was missing, actually not the clamp, therefore it couldn't be tightened.. it sounds like the issues you are having must be my trucks twin. I have the 250 platinum as well. Don't be surprised if you have engine codes poping up for DPF low pressure sensors. I'm not far from the Dearborn engineers and they were down to my dealer twice with tons on computers hooked to truck. Seems like they have a fix to that issue as well on the way.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:17 AM
Justin Bock
New User
King ranch with exhaust leak

I have 10000 miles on my truck and have had it in the shop for this same exhaust issue as yours now for the third time. They constantly say they can't duplicate the issue. Have went as far as to tell me. They believe me that I believe I smell exhaust. Lol

Old 03-31-2017, 07:18 AM
Justin Bock
New User
Mine does the exact same thing. Did you figure it out

Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 AM
Kromer
Junior User
I too have an occasional exhaust smell and have yet to figure it out.
You would think Ford would be a little more understanding and perhaps it needs to get "above" the dealer level.
I say you would think they would be more understanding, given the massive lawsuit they are embroiled in for the exploerer exhaust mess.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Hoyt Bowhunter
New User
Has anybody figured out what the root cause is yet? i am getting the same smell on my 2017 F350 6.7L with 2000 miles...only notice it at stops. Very strong odor - have to open my windows to clear the smell.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:41 PM
ERock62
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I could smell the initial regen cycles. It went away after a while.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Hoyt Bowhunter
New User
Originally Posted by ERock62
I could smell the initial regen cycles. It went away after a while.
Thanks...I have been over the engine compartment several times and there is nothing obvious. I even borrowed a gas detector at work and checked for CO in the engine compartment at idle. Results zero except one reading of 2ppm right on top of the engine 1 time. Subsequent testing showed zero. While testing I could smell a slight exhaust smell with the hood open on the passengers side while leaning over the air filter housing.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Hoyt Bowhunter
New User
Dealer Follow UP

Brought it to the dealer to have it checked....they smoke tested it, drove it, could not duplicate the issue. Nothing obvious in the engine compartment.

Dealer said it could very likely be the early regen cycles I am smelling ... nothing to worry about.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Flooringit
Senior User
I got out of my truck last night and have never smelled the exhaust before this. And it smelled sweet kind of. The exhaust pipe was tinging a lot never had heard that before either. I have 4500 miles. It was strange. I drive a good hour drive so it got good and hot the tinging went away a few minutes after sitting there. I don't usually go to that side of the truck when it's running so it might have always made the noise idk. I also had my cruise button making bunch of noise if I hit the on off button like the spring was popping under it. So it made me pay more attention to the truck

Quick Reply: 2017 random exhaust leak