1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMOKE WHEN COLD STARTING

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:25 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMOKE WHEN COLD STARTING

Haven't ever posted here until today. I have an 2006 F350 diesel. Starting my engine when cold produces a lot of smoke. It can take up to 10 times turning the key to finally get it to run. This is not a problem when I have the engine warmer plugged in. After the engine warms up the engine does not smoke anymore. Thinking about finally taking it in and having it worked on but thought I would ask your opinions first. I ran a quart of very expensive injector cleaner in it with no improvement. The engine light will sometimes come on and other times it won't come on. I did take the truck to Oreillys and had the engine analyzer on it and two pages of possibilities (problems) came up. Hope someone out there can point me into the right direction. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Engine has 110K miles. Thanks

Old 02-20-2017, 12:33 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
6.0...Glow plug(s), control module or harness. Youtube how to test/replace. Verify all fuel filters are good as well as the air intake filter, then look at glow plug system.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 AM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Definitely glow plug related.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:12 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
6.0...Glow plug(s), control module or harness. Youtube how to test/replace. Verify all fuel filters are good as well as the air intake filter, then look at glow plug system.
Thanks for your reply. I will change all the parts you mentioned but is there a better product than Motorcraft parts or is Motorcraft OK?

Old 02-20-2017, 02:14 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
Thanks for replying to my post. Not sure how to thank individually here.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:39 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by coloradojeep1
Haven't ever posted here until today. I have an 2006 F350 diesel. Starting my engine when cold produces a lot of smoke. It can take up to 10 times turning the key to finally get it to run. This is not a problem when I have the engine warmer plugged in. After the engine warms up the engine does not smoke anymore. Thinking about finally taking it in and having it worked on but thought I would ask your opinions first. I ran a quart of very expensive injector cleaner in it with no improvement. The engine light will sometimes come on and other times it won't come on. I did take the truck to Oreillys and had the engine analyzer on it and two pages of possibilities (problems) came up. Hope someone out there can point me into the right direction. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Engine has 110K miles. Thanks
You seem to be a beginner at the 6.0 Powerstroke world. It is a different animal then previous older diesels.

This does not sound like a glow plug issue. I would have initially thought it would be injector(s), and still could be. What brand of injector cleaner did you use.

Since you are having to crank over the engine multiple times to get it started, this could also be a symptom of a dying FICM.

It would do you a world of good to visit the 6.0 Diesel forum on this site.

If you don't learn about this engine, you may end up being extremely disappointed in the truck you have. They require meticulous maintenance, and if not kept up on they will deteriorate quickly. But once everything is running well, these engines are amazing.

From the sounds of it, it seems you have your work cut out for you with a bunch of codes that had popped up when they checked it at the auto parts store.

Thanks for your reply. I will change all the parts you mentioned but is there a better product than Motorcraft parts or is Motorcraft OK?
You may end up throwing your money away if you do not get it properly checked out, and decoded for the codes that were found.

This is why many of us who own 6.0's have live data scanners and code readers. So that we can quickly, efficiently, and with the least amount of cost, fix the things that actually need fixing.

The reason you ONLY use Motorcraft parts is because of how particular these engines are, and the aftermarket products do not measure up PRECISELY.

Thanks for replying to my post. Not sure how to thank individually here.
The way you can thank others for their help is by clicking on the icon on the right side of the screen that looks like an old fashion scale device.

I hope this helps you a little better, and welcome to the site, hopefully we will see you over at the 6.0L diesel side of this forum.

Thanks - Preston

Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
I used several injector cleaners in the past, but the last cleaning was a $60+ bottle of BG244. Didn't do any good at all. I haven't purchased any parts as of yet and was surprised to hear it may be another part. I will take it to Orielly's again to see what codes come up this time. I also see that i did post on here before with an issue i had with a 2002 Expedition. Forgot all about that vehicle that the spark plugs would fly out of the head. Seems like my only Ford that i haven't had issues with is my 1990 E350 with a 460. Not a problem with the last 120K miles. Thanks again for your reply.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These are awfully expensive motors to just start throwing parts at. Ideally, you'd pick up a monitoring solution of some sort - the Torque App, a ScanGauge II, an Edge Insight CTS - something like that. Any of these tools will provide you live data monitoring and not just codes. Adding insult to injury, many times a code will be a 'false code' and not indicative of the true issue.

For starters and just to rule it in or out, if you own a digital volt meter already, I'd start by checking FICM output voltage. A how to can be found at 17. Can I test my FICM to ensure that it is the culprit?

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:59 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
I took FICMrepair.com's advice and ordered a ScanGauge ll today instead of running to Orielly's to run a scan. When I get it up and running this weekend I will get back on here again. Thanks again for all the help and support.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:07 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
I took FICMrepair.com's advice and ordered a ScanGauge ll today instead of running to Orielly's to run a scan. When I get it up and running this weekend I will get back on here again. Thanks again for all the help and support.
Keep us in the loop!

Ed

Old 02-24-2017, 05:00 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
Smoke when cold starting

I plugged in my ScanGauge 2 today and ran a scan. It said there are 8 codes but only 2 codes would show up when pushing the next button. The codes are P0261 and P0264 both of which say low voltage to fuel injectors 1 and 2. Watched some videos about testing the FICM and will hopefully test it next week. Guess this is the next step I should take. I'll fill you all in hopefully in a week or so. Thanks

Old 03-17-2017, 07:42 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
Finally got around to checking my FICM. Meter read 48 with key to on. Dropped down to 28 volts when key was turned to start and when engine was running. We have emissions where I live for diesels and when I call the emissions place to make an appointment they ask if there are any tunes or changes to the engine that would give a false reading. They say any programs need to be taken out. So, if I were to purchase/build a FICM, where would be the best place to look and what program would be best to run that wouldn't need to be erased to pass emissions? Thanks

Old 03-17-2017, 07:47 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Sounds like you've got it narrowed down to the FICM. We can set you up with a tuned FICM that will make you love your 6.0 again and pass emissions all at the same time.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:57 PM
coloradojeep1
Junior User
smoke when starting

Ed--I went to your web site and read the different programs you supply. I tow a lot of weight at times and i live above 7000 foot. Not sure if your tunes are meant for here or not. Anyway, what would you suggest without upgrading my exhaust system or anything else? Thanks

Old 03-17-2017, 11:17 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Ed--I went to your web site and read the different programs you supply. I tow a lot of weight at times and i live above 7000 foot. Not sure if your tunes are meant for here or not. Anyway, what would you suggest without upgrading my exhaust system or anything else? Thanks
if you tow a bunch and live in the mountains, I'd recommend the Eco tune on a FICM along with a tow tune in the ECM. We could supply both.

Ed