99F150 Turn signals dont operate **HELP**

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 AM
pancake
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99F150 Turn signals dont operate **HELP**

the turn signals have been intermittent sometimes would flash 2 ,3 ,5 times then stop even though the switch was still in the turn position sometimes would continue flashing but would pause long or short inbetween flashes .....this behavior to me suggested the flash relay under the dash was going bad ...yesterday i bought one and installed it now the turn signals do NOTHING i have swapped my old flash relay and also the new part into the spot for the 4 way flashers as a quick test and the old&new flash relays perform 100% in the other location but when plugged in to the spot for turn sig flasher signals dont come on at all ....all bulbs are good the fuse for the turn sig is the same fuse for 4 way flashers(that operate no prob) and that fuse is good.........i swapped in a known good switch out of another truck and still NO Turn Flash operation >>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<(IS THERE ANOTHER PART/COMPONENT IN THE SYSTEM THAT I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THAT COULD BE BAD ??........) I know there is miles of wires that are buried in looms and harnesses throughout the under dash and under hood area and im going to be honest i dont have the time or patience (and it is not in my budget/the truck is not worth paying an ase diagnostic shop for hours of tracing wires) to find and follow any wire that couldve shorted burned broken.......this truck is a high mileage very rusty driver that has other minor problems that still allow it to be safe for on road driving and coincidentally i have been actively shopping for a newer truck (BEFORE THIS BS HAPPENED) with hopes that when i find something newer for myself i could SELL this truck as a cheap STILL OK FOR ON ROAD 4x4 BEATER for $700-$1000 (right now it is looking like i may be selling it for $200-$300 as an off road only truck to plow snow/farm truck or parts and that burns me losing money) and put whatever toward the loan on whatever i buy but right now i havent found a replacement truck and i dont want to rush into buying something that i dont want .....so as of right now I NEED to continue driving my beater truck on road back and fourth to work and yes hand signals are ~~OK~~ during the day but at night they dont get noticed and police usually like to ticket vehicles turning and not flashing them there signal lights to indicate im turning ...so again **HELP**

Old 02-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Here's a diagram

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=66442

Do your brake lights work in the back? What happens if you get someone to watch back there as you have the turn lever in the middle, press the brakes on and both rear lights should light up, and while still pressing the brake, move the lever to the left and then to the right. Does the one brake light go out that is supposed to blink?

If it acts like it's supposed to in the above paragraph, I think it could be only two things, the turnsignal switch or something wrong in the flasher socket or something wrong with the lightblue wire that goes from the flasher to the turn switch.

I think the next thing I would do is find that light blue wire that goes from the turn signal flasher relay box to the bottom of the column and up to the turn switch, and get a test light and poke that wire with the key in run. It should have power, either solid or blinking with the key in run.