Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning valve covers

Old 02-18-2017, 10:25 PM
eenyok
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cleaning valve covers

I pulled the leaky valve covers off my F150 and was greeted with a bit of a mess. What's the best way to clean all this gunk off?

Name:  QpfCCXi.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  827.1 KB

Old 02-18-2017, 10:50 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
That looks like something my wife cooked. Sorry but someone with more knowledge will give you the info you need. Hang on. Sandy

Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Picks, scrapers, some solvent to soften it up, maybe a brush, a shopvac and lots of time. Have you pulled the other side? It's likely just as bad.
That my friend is lots of sludge. The entire engine oil system if gonna be coated in theat junk. Somebody didn't change the oil in that truck often... Or ever....

Old 02-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Is that simply the result of infrequent oil changes, or maybe it was run without a thermostat in the past, and then baked in? Or short trips?

Here's what I found about 23k miles after rebuild, I had neglected adjusting valve lash, but tried to keep clean oil in it.

Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2017, 12:57 AM
eenyok
New User
I haven't pulled the other side yet, but I'm assuming it's just as bad.

I bought the truck 9 months ago and have been going through and fixing it as time and money allows. It has run surprisingly well with the exception to the oil leaks. Hopefully replacing the valve covers and gaskets fixes the leak problem.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't touch anything. You can try to clean it but you have to be really careful and diligent about getting it all. Anything knocked loose and not picked up can go to the oil pickup and plug the screen.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:30 AM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd wager that every bit of your motor looks like that. For me it would be time to tear it down, and rebuild it.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:48 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by wtroger
Honestly I wouldn't touch anything. You can try to clean it but you have to be really careful and diligent about getting it all. Anything knocked loose and not picked up can go to the oil pickup and plug the screen.
That's what I was thinking. Getting **** where it doesn't need to be and maybe blocking an oil passage.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:09 PM
eenyok
New User
Originally Posted by mrollings53
I'd wager that every bit of your motor looks like that. For me it would be time to tear it down, and rebuild it.
It isn't worth the time required to do it myself or the money it would cost to have someone else do it. I'll drive her until she dies and then I'll throw a 351 in her.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:33 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just doing more frequent oil changes may clear that up a bit over time.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:17 PM
animator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mix in a quart of ATF every oil change and it will clear up after a few changes.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:27 PM
OldGoldie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd use a shop vac and a pick to try to get the big/loose-ish stuff where I could, but I'd not go crazy. That said, like others, I suggest that you don't knock stuff loose that you can't immediately remove.

Run more cost-efficient oil through it with seafoam/ATF and change frequently, like every couple of thousand miles. I'd probably change the filter every thousand miles when running the ATF/seafoam treatments. I'd say after about 3 rotations of that you'll have cleaned much of that out of there.

That said, I'd check the compression and see where you are at - if it's been really abused/neglected it might not be worth the trouble to really go through the trouble of cleaning it out.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:57 AM
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems like a small amount of sludge might be normal with older motors unless you religiously run quality synthetic oils.

It's also important to keep the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation system) in top working order, as it can also be partly responsible for the sludge.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 759 Likes on 541 Posts
Drain back on top of a head is worse that the crank case. (Lifter valley is second) More heat there than anywhere else coupled with infrequent oil changes/poor quality oil means it cooks & solidifies. Hi-detergent synthetic will over time reduce it.

I stripped off the pan & VCs' on mine a couple of years back. The upper looked like that (PO was real cheapskate) but the lower half of the engine was great.

You could plug the drain back holes & with a selection of small screw drivers & paper towels carefully remove about 90% without fear of clogging the pick up. It takes time & patience but you said it wasn't worth it, so slap the VCs' back on.

Wouldn't add anything but about a cup of Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase though.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scndsin
You could plug the drain back holes & with a selection of small screw drivers & paper towels carefully remove about 90% without fear of clogging the pick up. It takes time & patience but you said it wasn't worth it, so slap the VCs' back on.
You'd have to plug the holes for the pushrods too. Safest bet would be to use a vacuum that could handle the oil, and a really small attachment to fit in the nooks and crannies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning valve covers