Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Don't need 4x4 - should i buy it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:45 PM
FullLoadOnBoard
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't need 4x4 - should i buy it anyway?

Looking at used trucks it's hard to find one with everything i want.
So i found one that does have it all but i have no need for the 4x4.
If i did get a 4x2 i'd want the locking differential though, but many don't have it.
So a 4x4 would at least solve that issue.

4-wheel drive obviously means more parts and more parts that can go bad but maybe they're fairly problem free??

There is also the hit on gas mileage too. Maybe up to 2mpg??

Is it something to avoid if i don't really need it?

Old 02-18-2017, 02:45 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I was looking for my F150, I didn't want a 4x4 either. I grew up in Missouri, and lived there until I was almost 50, and only owned one 4x4 in all that time, and it was built to go play in mud.
But when I found the truck, it was/is a 4x4, but it had all of the options that I was looking for, and a few more.
So needless to say we bought it.
I really haven't heard much complaining about the 4x4 system, except for trucks that have way more miles than I have and probably worked harder. But then it's usually a locking hub. I really don't think I've heard anything about the axles, third member etc.
That 4x4 truck will cost a little bit more to buy, but it's also worth more on a trade or when you decide to sell it. And a 4x4 truck will sell faster too.

Good luck on your search.

Unk Bob

Old 02-18-2017, 03:28 PM
FullLoadOnBoard
Freshman User
Thanks
So have you found the 4x4 or 4A useful at times...more than you imagined?
I guess i'd only ever need it when there are ice storms (southern OKla) but then i heard it can give you false confidence.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:25 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
What I've found is that four wheel drive is rarely ever needed...but when it's needed, it's needed!

In the summer, it keeps guys from being embarrassed at the local boat ramps while trying to drag their boats out of the water on wet concrete.

In the fall, it helps get to the hunting locations.

In winter, it helps get guys to work in the snow.

And in the spring, it's nice for those muddy fields at the soccer complex.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:36 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FullLoadOnBoard
Thanks
So have you found the 4x4 or 4A useful at times...more than you imagined?
I guess i'd only ever need it when there are ice storms (southern OKla) but then i heard it can give you false confidence.
I'm sure there will be a time that I'll engage the 4x4 (and you will too). I've only had this truck since this last Summer. But since we're moving back home to Southern Missouri in July, I'm sure I'll get to use it. That area is hilly, we do get some good snow there, but ice is ice. I had to replace my beloved 2011 after it was totaled out this last July. At least nobody was hurt, just my baby.

Last 2 pictures are of the 2013 that replaced my 2011.

Unk Bob

Attached Images      
Old 02-18-2017, 08:05 PM
FullLoadOnBoard
Freshman User
Good points WX
UBE - the one i'm interested in is green gem, looks black half the time like yours.
I'd hate just black.
You like your trees and they like you i see - wow!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:22 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FullLoadOnBoard
Good points WX
UBE - the one i'm interested in is green gem, looks black half the time like yours.
I'd hate just black.
You like your trees and they like you i see - wow!

That Green Gem is a sweet color, that's another one I like.
Yup we had a heck of a storm come through while we were finishing up our vacation last summer. That was in Gatlinburg Tn. Five different trees landed on that truck, totaling it out.
I found out that next day that full coverage insurance doesn't cover a rental car, and we were 5 hours from home. So, we drove that truck home.
That also had something to do with buying another Super Crew F150.

Unk Bob

Old 02-19-2017, 02:45 AM
newfordy
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
4x4 not needed but handy

Ok, my '01 was 4x4 and the '14 replacement as well. Here in central CA we don't get weather to speak of and I live in town vs. the country. But there have been times when I pull off the road in nearby Yosemite or into a field that's softer or wetter than it looks.
So if it's in the budget and has desired features I'd get it.

my $.02

Old 02-19-2017, 06:24 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Personally I wouldn't be without a 4x4 vehicle of some sort. Since Ford migrated into the current independent front suspension there is no additional maintenance and the MPG hit is very minor.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:48 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I don't think you'd even notice the fuel economy hit with 4x4 in these things. They use a system that disconnects the front driveline completely in 2WD, so the front differential and driveshaft are stationary unless needed. You're not wasting power turning components that aren't being used.

When you switch to 4WD, an electromagnetic clutch in the transfer case spins the front driveline up to speed, then vacuum is removed from the front hubs and everything locks in. This process takes less than a second at highway speeds. 4x4 trucks are about 2" taller which result in a small penalty on the highway.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't think you'd even notice the fuel economy hit with 4x4 in these things. They use a system that disconnects the front driveline completely in 2WD, so the front differential and driveshaft are stationary unless needed. You're not wasting power turning components that aren't being used.

When you switch to 4WD, an electromagnetic clutch in the transfer case spins the front driveline up to speed, then vacuum is removed from the front hubs and everything locks in. This process takes less than a second at highway speeds. 4x4 trucks are about 2" taller which result in a small penalty on the highway.
Cool post Tom, I really had no idea how that front differential worked.
And I'd have to agree that between my 4x2 2011 and the 4x4 2013, I really don't see much of a difference in mileage.
But yesterday checking the oil level in the truck, it does set up taller than the 4x2, and it's bone stock.

Unk Bob

Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Cool post Tom, I really had no idea how that front differential worked.
And I'd have to agree that between my 4x2 2011 and the 4x4 2013, I really don't see much of a difference in mileage.
But yesterday checking the oil level in the truck, it does set up taller than the 4x2, and it's bone stock.

Unk Bob
Here's a more "official" explanation of the different systems. I believe this is from the service manual, but my subscription expired so I can't confirm:

Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Systems

Mechanical Shift-On-The-Fly (MSOF) System
The Mechanical Shift-On-The-Fly (MSOF) system consists of the following components:
Mode Indication Switch (MIS), located on the transfer case
Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM), located near the passenger kick panel
Integrated Wheel End (IWE) solenoid, mounted to the cooling fan shroud
IWEs , located at each front wheel hub
Transfer case assembly (includes synchronization clutch)
Transfer case shift lever
Vehicles equipped with a MSOF system allow the operator to choose between 2-Wheel Drive (2WD) and 2 different Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) modes. The transfer case is shifted manually. Under normal driving conditions, the transfer case is in 2H (4X2), but when desired, the operator may shift into 4H (4X4 HIGH) or 4L (4X4 LOW). The operator can shift between 2H and 4H at any speed. To shift into 4L, the vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 5 km/h (3 mph) and the transmission in NEUTRAL.
The transfer case is equipped with a synchronization clutch which is located inside the case. The synchronization clutch is used to synchronize the speed of the front driveline with the rear driveline during 2H to 4H shifts.

Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly (ESOF) System
The Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly (ESOF) system consists of the following components:
Mode Select Switch (MSS), located on the instrument panel
TCCM , located near the passenger kick panel
IWE solenoid, mounted to the cooling fan shroud
Transfer case assembly (includes shift motor and synchronization clutch)
Vehicles equipped with an ESOF system allow the operator to choose between 2WD and 2 different 4WD modes. The transfer case is shifted electronically based on the MSS position. Under normal driving conditions, the transfer case is in 2H (4X2), but when desired, the operator may shift into 4H (4X4 HIGH) or 4L (4X4 LOW). The operator can shift between 2H and 4H at any speed. To shift into 4L, the vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 5 km/h (3 mph) and the transmission in NEUTRAL.
The transfer case is equipped with a synchronization clutch which is located inside the case. The synchronization clutch is used to synchronize the speed of the front driveline with the rear driveline during 2H to 4H shifts.

All-Wheel Drive (AWD)
The All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system consists of the following components:
MSS , located on the instrument panel
TCCM , located near the passenger kick panel
IWE solenoid, mounted to the cooling fan shroud
Transfer case assembly (includes shift motor and synchronization clutch)
The Borg-Warner one-speed torque-on-demand transfer case is a 2-piece aluminium design. The transfer case is equipped with an internal electromagnetic clutch. The unit transfers engine power from the transmission to the front and rear axles. Under normal driving conditions, the unit is in 2WD , but when desired, the operator may shift into AWD or 4H (4X4 HIGH). The transfer case is shifted electronically. The unit is lubricated by a positive displacement fluid pump that channels fluid flow through holes in the rear output shaft.

Integrated Wheel End (IWE) System
The IWE system consists of the following components:
Vacuum reservoir
IWE solenoid
IWEs (spring-loaded vacuum hubs)
Vacuum hoses
Check valve
The IWE system, used on both MSOF and ESOF equipped vehicles, uses vacuum hubs that engage or disengage the front wheel hubs from the front halfshafts.
The IWE solenoid receives engine vacuum from the vacuum reservoir. When the 4WD system is in 2H mode, the TCCM supplies a ground path to the IWE solenoid to apply vacuum to the IWEs (disengaging the front hubs from the front halfshafts). In 4H or 4L modes, the TCCM does not supply the ground path to the IWE solenoid, vacuum is not applied to the IWEs and an internal spring keeps the front hubs engaged to the front halfshafts.

Electronic Locking Differential (ELD) System
The Electronic Locking Differential (ELD) system consists of the following components:
ELD field coil, located at the rear differential
Rear differential
MSS (unique for ELD equipped vehicles, the ELD switch is integrated with the MSS ), located on instrument panel
The ELD system, which is optional on ESOF equipped vehicles, allows the operator to lock the rear differential side gears when in 4H or 4L mode. ELD operation is requested by pulling out on the MSS when in 4H or 4L mode.
The operator can switch between 4H mode without ELD or 4H mode with ELD at speeds up to 30 km/h (19 mph). In 4H, the ELD will disengage at speeds above 40 km/h (25 mph) and will automatically reengage at speeds below 30 km/h (19 mph).
To engage or disengage the ELD while in 4L range, the vehicle speed must be less than 90 km/h (56 mph). In 4L, the ELD will disengage at speeds above 100 km/h (56 mph).
The ELD behaves according to the following table:

Switch Position Engage Disengage Re-engage 2H N/A N/A N/A 4H 30 km/h (19 mph) a 40 km/h (25 mph) 30 km/h (19 mph) a 4L 90 km/h (56 mph) a 100 km/h (62 mph) 90 km/h (56 mph) a a The 4WD system will engage/re-engage at or below the speed noted.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:01 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom
Here's a more "official" explanation of the different systems. I believe this is from the service manual, but my subscription expired so I can't confirm:
I actually learned something today.
I'm done.

Unk Bob

Old 02-19-2017, 10:36 AM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 242 Likes on 188 Posts
If you ever go into the dirt its amazing how quickly you can need 4x4. I ride dirt bikes and some staging areas have these big ruts. Works great to drop the rear end of the truck into the rut so you can unload the bike easily. Until you try and get the truck out, and the back tires just want to spin. Pop it in 4x4 and she crawls right out, instead of having your buddy come over with his chevy and pull you out!

Also when going up to the mountains in the winter it's wonderful to drive right past the chainup area and laugh at all the 4x2 pickups and SUVs out putting their chains on.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:38 PM
FullLoadOnBoard
Freshman User
Well you sold me. Very informative posts. Maybe this will help others in the future.

Quick Reply: Don't need 4x4 - should i buy it anyway?