Sponsored by: DP Tuner

300 miles from home, problems ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigRed1Ton
. I did change out the CPS for the purple one that Clay sells. Nice snappy throttle response, compared to my old worn out one, but it did not fix my problem.
I have heard that certain CPS make a difference.. Some claim better MPG. Does anyone know how that could be possible?

BBD

Old 02-21-2017, 12:55 PM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Black Dually
I have heard that certain CPS make a difference.. Some claim better MPG. Does anyone know how that could be possible?

BBD
I'm not sure about that, I just know mine was really old, possibly original equipment, and it was time to change it out. Clay recommended that one, so I put it in. I wanted to get that bolt out and oil it up, so it didn't seize up on me, and break off some day.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:21 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I've heard a lot of claims of this and that causing better fuel economy, but this has been my observation: Whatever gets the truck back to 100% from wherever the hell it was is the most likely root cause of improved economy... with all other things being equal.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:15 AM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I've heard a lot of claims of this and that causing better fuel economy, but this has been my observation: Whatever gets the truck back to 100% from wherever the hell it was is the most likely root cause of improved economy... with all other things being equal.
Yeah, that's for sure ! Well I found time to change out the fuel pump, and blow air back down the lines. Lots of clear bubble sounds, so I think I'm OK there. The new pump fills the bowl a lot faster, but didn't solve the problem. The truck only lopes a bit at idle now, for a second, and hesitates on acceleration from a stop. No more stuttering or hesitation once I am on the throttle.
I am thinking maybe you are on to something, and I just got an old crappy batch of fuel. Does that happen a lot now ? Do these symptoms seem in line with what you would see from bad fuel ?
Anyway, I guess in another couple hundred miles I should know.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Your situation might be the need for a Hutch mod - that happens to just about everybody nowadays. Maybe your fuel pump inlet was plugged with crud, or maybe it was tired. For funny-ha-ha, you might try the UVCH link in my signature.

When are you heading back to the wet side? I have to go there Saturday to pick up a boat. I was hoping to bring it home, but this weather isn't cooperating - so it looks like I'll have to park it at the folks' house on the wet side. You never know, we might be able to cross paths and I can take a look at your truck.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am thinking maybe you are on to something, and I just got an old crappy batch of fuel. Does that happen a lot now ? Do these symptoms seem in line with what you would see from bad fuel ?
Your socks could be dirty or partially plugged. I think once you are able to drop your tank you will find the problem.

BBD

Old 02-23-2017, 11:46 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
When are you heading back to the wet side? I have to go there Saturday to pick up a boat.
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Rich, what did you pull the trigger on, the one that you had pictured?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 AM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Your situation might be the need for a Hutch mod - that happens to just about everybody nowadays. Maybe your fuel pump inlet was plugged with crud, or maybe it was tired. For funny-ha-ha, you might try the UVCH link in my signature.

When are you heading back to the wet side? I have to go there Saturday to pick up a boat. I was hoping to bring it home, but this weather isn't cooperating - so it looks like I'll have to park it at the folks' house on the wet side. You never know, we might be able to cross paths and I can take a look at your truck.
You could be right about the crud, and needing the hutch mod. I have been avoiding pulling that tank, but it's probably time, I'm sure it's nasty in there. I should be back on the wet side Sunday night. If you have the time, it would be great to meet up for a consult. Did Stinky get the transplant yet ? I haven't followed the story lately, I just knew about the first attempt awhile back.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:58 AM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big Black Dually
Your socks could be dirty or partially plugged. I think once you are able to drop your tank you will find the problem.

BBD
I know you are probably right. I have not been real eager to drop that tank, but I think that's what it's gonna take. Once I get back home and have a place to do some work, I will get going on that. I didn't bring a lot of tools with me this week.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:49 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is a tank test for you.
Go buy about 10' of 5/16 fuel hose and 2 clamps. Also buy a new diesel fuel container, a 5 or 10 gallon container.
Fill the container with fresh diesel and place the jug in the bed of the truck.
Under the truck, remove the infeed line from the fuel pump. Plug the hose going to the tank.
Attach one end of the 10' hose to the pump, double clamp it to the pump.
Place the other end of the hose in the container, immersed in fuel. Attach the hose so it cannot come out of the container.
Secure the hose as best you can.
Start the truck and go for a ride, does the truck preform as usual after a few miles or does the problem persist?

Old 02-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
...Rich, what did you pull the trigger on, the one that you had pictured?
I just heard back from the marine surveyor and he gave it a thumbs-up. I got the report from the shop and the gas engine has compression numbers of between 195 and 190 PSI per cylinder, with no mechanical issues anywhere on the boat. The boat has minor electrical issues, but that is right in my wheelhouse. I will now go fetch a cashier's check for the total amount, in preparation for the jump over the hump for a sea trial and to pick it up. It's amazing how a cash offer greases the skids... so I should have that boat in the picture behind Stinky by Saturday afternoon.

...I should be back on the wet side Sunday night. If you have the time, it would be great to meet up for a consult. Did Stinky get the transplant yet ? I haven't followed the story lately, I just knew about the first attempt awhile back.
Abbreviating the story... in order to take the truck off-line for an engine swap, I would need to drive the Prius.

PM me with your phone number if you feel it's worth it to sneak through Wenatchee on the way home. I should be back in time to coordinate putting the spread of test gear on your truck.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:16 AM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
I just heard back from the marine surveyor and he gave it a thumbs-up. I got the report from the shop and the gas engine has compression numbers of between 195 and 190 PSI per cylinder, with no mechanical issues anywhere on the boat. The boat has minor electrical issues, but that is right in my wheelhouse. I will now go fetch a cashier's check for the total amount, in preparation for the jump over the hump for a sea trial and to pick it up. It's amazing how a cash offer greases the skids... so I should have that boat in the picture behind Stinky by Saturday afternoon.

Abbreviating the story... in order to take the truck off-line for an engine swap, I would need to drive the Prius.

PM me with your phone number if you feel it's worth it to sneak through Wenatchee on the way home. I should be back in time to coordinate putting the spread of test gear on your truck.
Yeah, I am not sure the Prius could get the boat back over the hill. Maybe it has a trailer hitch !
The truck ran even worse last night, hesitating, and kept wanting to stall out when stopping. Hard to restart and lots of loud clacking or crackling, but no smoke. Now I am not so sure it's fuel starvation, and I have burned up most of the fuel that was in the tank. Still don't know when I am heading back home, but I sure do appreciate your generous offer. Also it would be great to meet up and learn a few things. I will let you know how it goes, but I am not sure now that I can make it that far without fixing the problems first.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
You desperately need an OBDII tool to sort this out (link in my signature). I have a Hail Mary for you: Buy some electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease at the auto parts store, and find as many connectors under the hood as you can. Clean all the connectors and put a little dielectric grease on the seals before re-assembly. Make sure the IPR tinnerman nut is in place while you're in there.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:24 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Following along to hear what your solution is.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:51 PM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
You desperately need an OBDII tool to sort this out (link in my signature). I have a Hail Mary for you: Buy some electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease at the auto parts store, and find as many connectors under the hood as you can. Clean all the connectors and put a little dielectric grease on the seals before re-assembly. Make sure the IPR tinnerman nut is in place while you're in there.

Right before I moved to the wet side I cleaned and greased every wire connection, sensor switch and lightbulb socket, topic to bottom. My attempt to keep water out, and maybe it works ... ? Always a good idea tho. The IPR nut is still in place and not leaking. It's been a busy week here, not much time to dink around with the truck. Snowing again.
Started it yesterday, noisy cackling, loping, tries to die. Finally idled but runs really rough down the road. Chugging and shuddering, almost like it has bad injectors. Only smooths out at highway speeds. It hesitates badly when moving out from a stop.
I am probably not doing a very good job of describing the symptoms tho. What would a bad connection in the injector harness act like ? Would there be lots of smoke from non-op injectors ? I don't have any smoke, which seems odd. Trying to collect as much information as I can. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 300 miles from home, problems ...