Sponsored by: DP Tuner

300 miles from home, problems ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 01:18 PM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Bosch is the manufacturer of the OEM pump - they won the bid. So... if it is a Bosch pump spec'd for a Ford Superduty with the 7.3L - then it's most likely OEM.

The high-volume traffic factor outweighs the brand factor. I'm not going to imply Joe is better at maintaining the integrity of his tank than Shell does, but when the quality of the delivery system is equal - a significant volume difference will draw me in. Think Fred Meyer diesel near town with a discount and 4 pumps vs. Art's Shell with the single diesel pump out back.
That's what I gathered from your previous answer. I fuel up at an "Art's Shell", and unfortunately that is the tank of fuel I am running on now. So maybe a fuel filter is called for before a pump. Hmmm. Gonna have to find a new station. Live and learn tho, and I'm better off knowing it now. Thanks again, brother. I always hope you will join in when I have a question.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:42 PM
JoeF250
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Very common misunderstanding here. Sulfur is not a lubricant, so removing it does not hurt anything at all.
I know this is going way off topic here. But I am going to take a second to counter your statement Rich.

Sulfur may not in its molecular form be a natural lubricant. But it was used as an extreme pressure additive for a long time. Under pressure and heat it forms sulfides many of which are excellent lubricants. Specifically in an injection pump or the intensifier pistons of our injectors it will form an iron sulfide barrier between piston and barrel which provides excellent lubrication and prevents galling.

In short the low pressure lubricity of the fuel is probably unaffected by sulfur. But the extreme pressure lubricity of sulfur isn't matched by almost anything else soluble in fuel. Which incidentally coincides well with your second point. The other good ep additives are not as soluble in fuel oil, hence why they can and do fall out of suspension. Leaving you with crap fuel.

The sulfur is a great lubricant. If you don't believe me ask any old timer machinist how bad they miss the days when they could buy high sulfur cutting oil. Many of them still have a stash for personal use. I have some saved for my hard to replace HSS tooling. But I wouldn't waste it on anything carbide.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:45 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You mentioned being on this side of the hump this week. Where are you at? I'm just curious if you're in range.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by JoeF250
...Sulfur may not in its molecular form be a natural lubricant. But it was used as an extreme pressure additive for a long time. Under pressure and heat it forms sulfides many of which are excellent lubricants. Specifically in an injection pump or the intensifier pistons of our injectors it will form an iron sulfide barrier between piston and barrel which provides excellent lubrication and prevents galling...
I was unaware of that aspect of sulfur - I was thinking in narrow terms of fuel delivery. I learned something new today - thank you.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:00 PM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
You mentioned being on this side of the hump this week. Where are you at? I'm just curious if you're in range.
I am at a small ranch of ours between Mesa and Othello. Hauling hay all over and feeding livestock. Around 40 miles north of the TriCities.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:02 PM
JoeF250
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
No problem. If you google sulfur as a diesel lubricant the first 700 pages that pop up will be EPA, Sierra club, environmental stewardship type pages celebrating its near elimination in fuel. I remember seeing a lot of literature around the time of the switch to usld stating the half truth that sulfur is not a lubricant. And we won't miss it. I even saw studies that proved that it wasn't a good lubricant. However most of it was at best negligent if not bad science, all of them focused on sulfur in low pressure wear tests. Where it doesn't excel. But this is the kind of results based bad science we get these days.

I remember it vividly because one of my professors used the sulfur as a lubricant argument as a test case to prove that without objectivity science is meaningless.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BigRed1Ton
I am at a small ranch of ours between Mesa and Othello. Hauling hay all over and feeding livestock. Around 40 miles north of the TriCities.
Yeah... about the only thing to eat around here if you dig deep enough is snow mold.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 PM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Yeah... about the only thing to eat around here if you dig deep enough is snow mold.
True ! We are calving them out now, so that's a couple tons of alfalfa a day. Makes ya grateful for powerstroke engines and low range 4wd.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:49 PM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
From my experience, without physically removing and resealing the window, you'll never get a water tight condition.
Mine, would drip from the sheet metal screw from the ebrake. It was then, I traveled upword to the gem, to find the puddling. Once new window was installed(had a crack) was when water stopped penetrating
I checked this out today. No evidence of water intrusion into the cab, through the windshield or anywhere else. The gem is dusty and dry.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:52 PM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Originally Posted by erikkloss
10k miles on the fuel filter isn't much, but it is a cheap and fast thing to replace it, just in case. I don't know if it is true or not, but I have been told that fuel filters will need to be replaced much more often when temps get below 32F if no fuel additives are used.
I changed the fuel filter today, and cleaned out the bowl. There was a little sediment in there so it was worth doing. The problem remains the same tho, it's running just as rough.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:55 PM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Originally Posted by lpzd
Cps . I've seen them get interference from wipers . Does it behave different when wipers are off ?
The wipers don't make a difference. I did change out the CPS for the purple one that Clay sells. Nice snappy throttle response, compared to my old worn out one, but it did not fix my problem.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:24 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
did you get a chance to blow some air back into the tank yet. not too much pressure, just enough to clear the screens if they are clogged

Old 02-21-2017, 12:43 AM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
did you get a chance to blow some air back into the tank yet. not too much pressure, just enough to clear the screens if they are clogged
Not yet, been too busy at the ranch. I am planning to do it tomorrow, when the pump comes in. Should I use a compressor, or just my lungs ? This still seems like a fuel delivery problem. Feels like maybe air in the system or fuel starvation. Not sure. I know what a bad Injector in a big truck feels like, and this isn't that, but idk what a bad Injector in a powerstroke feels like. It's just a mild stutter almost like a miss.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:19 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
use a compressor but just a little air. take the fuel tank cap off and use about 20psi. just enough to bubble the fuel. I'm assuming none of the in tank mods have been done?

Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 AM
BigRed1Ton
Senior User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
use a compressor but just a little air. take the fuel tank cap off and use about 20psi. just enough to bubble the fuel. I'm assuming none of the in tank mods have been done?
Thanks, I will do that. You are correct, no tank mods yet.

Quick Reply: 300 miles from home, problems ...