First hookup with 5th wheel and Andersen hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 AM
workingdan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by camping nut
Looks great. I think I am going to have to try one just scared that it will dent the box.
Thanks

I was a little concerned with denting also. My trailer is heavy (18K) and I only towed 65 miles today, but I didn't see any signs that it would dent. When you attach the hitch to the ball you torque the hitch down to the ball which pulls it up to place the weight on the ball more than the bed.
Time will tell as more people with aluminum beds tow with the Anderson.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:55 AM
camping nut
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the reply I am at about 16000lbs with a tongue weight of almost 2900lbs so not as heavy as you.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
You technically do not need safety chains with the Anderson. It is not a gooseneck.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:35 AM
workingdan
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
You technically do not need safety chains with the Anderson. It is not a gooseneck.
I have read that some states do require them. Not sure if true or not but, i have the kit to just be safe.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
no state requires chains for 5th wheels.

But if you got them I'd use them.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While they shouldn't, I saw a story of someone with the Andersen Ultimate who was stopped and the trooper made him disconnect his fiver until he got safety chains. I didn't see this from the guy it happened to so it could just be urban myth. I used them the first few times after getting them, but now just leave them laying in the bed just in case. I don't feel the need for them as it is much more secure and positive than a TT bumper hitch.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

CT does and I know there are others. From the ct.gov web site. "Fifth wheel trailers with any ball mount will require a safety chain or cable while fifth wheel plate and kingpin styles will be required to have a safety on or locking of the operating handle."

I bought the chain kit because I found several states that required chains on a ball mount.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:10 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jsm180
CT does and I know there are others. From the ct.gov web site. "Fifth wheel trailers with any ball mount will require a safety chain or cable while fifth wheel plate and kingpin styles will be required to have a safety on or locking of the operating handle."

I bought the chain kit because I found several states that required chains on a ball mount.

I love getting supporting evidence! I suspect the statute was written before Andersen was available, but it is what troopers have to go on.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
I guess I will cross off any plans to ever got to CT because of my weapons (guns) and lack of chains on the 5th wheel trailer connected to the Andersen and held down by the locking pin and gravity of planet Earth.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:32 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
This statement should cover the Anderson Ultimate for CT:

"while fifth wheel plate and kingpin styles will be required to have a safety on or locking of the operating handle."

Old 03-08-2017, 05:14 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
This statement should cover the Anderson Ultimate for CT:

"while fifth wheel plate and kingpin styles will be required to have a safety on or locking of the operating handle."
Not the way I read it, "Fifth wheel trailers with any ball mount will require a safety chain or cable". The old web site even mentioned that it was required is some states. When I was looking into the Ultimate I found over half the states required chains on goosenecks and with the hitch attaching to the goose ball it made for a good argument for a LEO. I have better things to do when on vacation than worrying about getting tagged by a trooper. In the end it didn't matter because I went with a Curt.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:25 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
No one has taken the issue this seriously before. There are thousands of Andersen Ultimate hitches out there and I have heard only one story of someone having a problem because of chains.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:13 PM
workingdan
Senior User
I contacted Anderson yesterday about cutting holes for the safety chain pucks and about denting the aluminum beds.
He sent some pics of safety chain hook ups with different beds.
He said he would do some investigating about denting and get back with me.
I will be cutting the holes for peice of mind. Needed or not I will feel better knowing I have a back up.

These pics are not of my hitch, just what Anderson sent me. Says will not hurt integrity of the hitch.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 PM
camping nut
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Believe it or not, the rep that I talked to from Andersen did admit that some minor denting may happen. This was on March 7, 2017.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:12 PM
emt676
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the ultimate aluminum hitch since it came out. The hitch is great I love the way it pulls and how light it is no more getting in the bed lugging that heavy 5th wheel in and out. However I did have an issue with the hitch moving around slightly due to the hitch sitting on the bed bolts so it will not sit flush on the bed. I contacted them and they told me to use a rubber mat under it which I did and it did stop the moving however it did raise my front of the camper a little so I am slightly nose high now. I am wondering if you guys have noticed this on your installs. I have the one that hooks on the gooseneck ball. I am also using a 2011 f250. I love the hitch and it works well I just have to find a way to tweak it a little.

Quick Reply: First hookup with 5th wheel and Andersen hitch