Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump and Dash Wiring (What is this connector?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Jeff Meszaros
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump and Dash Wiring (What is this connector?)

Hi all, my first post here, although I've been finding this forum very helpful for the past 10 days or so that I've had my truck. It is a 1989 F150 4x4 - regular cab.

I pulled it out of a field where it sat for 2-3 years. Guy wanted to get rid of it, and it came with a brand new (still in a box) 6" rough country lift, and some brand new rubber on it (although 235/70/15 is only useful until its lifted - then I need some 35's), so it was a good deal, but I was prepared to have a few challenges to deal with.

So far I have replaced a steel brake line, bled brakes, replaced the heater core (after a nice leak unveiled itself behind the glove box and smoke started coming out the vents), reintroduced the power steering pump to something called power steering fluid (yay it works again!), and now dealing with a dreaded fueling issue.

So, my latest pain in my **** - my back tank leaks, and the pump sounds like crap. The front tank doesn't leak, but the pump was working intermittently, and now not at all. Back tank has got me home once or twice now.

I figured it was maybe a bad ground or power wire. Did some handy work with multi meter and thought I found the issue (broken wire) in the dash wiring, so I pulled the dash and checked everything over. Turned out everything checked out, so I got everything with dielectric grease and reinstalled it (lot of work for what I presume was nothing to do with the dash now ) . Now I can't figure out where these two connectors go (the second connector comes off to the right of the gauge cluster, and is connected to about three other connectors that go to what I presume is the computer)?

Once I have that figured, I have figured out how to pull the fuel pump wire connector off (somewhat going by feel), and hooked my test light up to see that the front tank pump is in fact getting power. Cleaned the connector with compressed air, made sure the leads inside are bent to shape so they contact the prongs on the pump, but I still get no pump priming action. I can hear the high pressure pump priming but nada from the fuel tank (stood my phone up on the tank and took video, then video next to the high pressure pump). Back tank's pump gives a nice groan like usual but nothing in the front tank.

So what's next? Drain the tank and drop it? Pull the box? Cut a hole in the box? (scratch that - my back tank has been leaking fuel! lol) Somehow jump the leads on the pump to be sure the pump is done?

Just want to make sure I'm not jumping the gun and doing something drastic like tearing a dash out, when it might be a simple fix.

Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Jeff Meszaros
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, I created an album with two images of the truck sans dash. Didn't seem to help me, but maybe someone else will see something I am not.