2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Leaking moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:18 AM
jjdhog1975
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking moonroof

My business partner and I purchased 2 new 2017 f250's with the lariat ultimate packages. My trucks moonroof leaks in the front and water drips through the overhead console. His leaks in the rear and drips water on the back seat. These leaks happen when in rains not in the car wash. My truck is currently in the shop at the dealer and they are trying to fix the issue, at this point they have had my truck for a week. Fingers crossed but i do not have a good feeling about this.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:25 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you google this problem you'll find that the F150s (same cab) have a history of this problem. My son works with a group of guys that all have 2015+ F150s and many of them leak. One guys truck leaked so bad that last summer (in the heat) it started molding the headliner. Ford bought the truck back from him a few months ago after replacing the headliner repeatedly.
Be vocal about the issue and keep reporting it to them so that they'll "Daddy" the problem later on if any of these issues happen to you.
It would probably be wise for you to check out the "Lemon Law" in your State just so you know what the standard is there. (they differ State to State) When a dealer knows that you're aware of the law, I think they know to try to get it done right quickly, or else.

I'm holding my breath with mine. I haven't taken to a car wash yet, but washing at home has been dry so far. I would have paid Ford to leave it off my truck. I have no use for it.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 AM
celeste646
Freshman User
One night in PA we had snow that covered the roof of my truck and it was very cold out. The next day before clearing off the snow we had a terrible rain because it warmed up dramatically in hours. MY center console was soaked inside and so was the passenger floor mat (it was leaking out of the grab bar). I am hoping that this was a freak occurrence of the water in the drain lines freezing up and then not having any where to go when it started raining because of the dramatic temperature change. I would also point out that if this was the case I still find it unacceptable for that roof to EVER leak. I have never had a problem since after multiple rains and washes. I too would have paid for the ultimate package and told them to keep the roof but they wouldn't allow it.

I am curious to see what Ford said is your issue. Keep us updated.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford will say they are committed to fixing the problem.

Dealership will say it's a known problem and ordering parts.

You will insist it is fully documented for the future if it leaks. And waste lots of time at the dealership.

And really cold in PA is relative. it's entirely possible the ice creates a small gap as it freezes and the thaw creates a window for water to run threw. As water expands when freezes and thaws faster when in contact with metal.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Is this seriously that much of a problem? like should this keep me from buying the ultimate...

Old 02-16-2017, 04:12 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
6500 miles on mine since Oct. Been raining non stop the last couple of days, zero leaks. Have had several inches of snow on it, zero leaks. Snow melted while parked in the garage, zero leaks.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Like anything, the most vocal are the ones who have had problems. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of sunroofs in general but the roof on this 2017 is amazing. The view is just beautiful. My kids have commented a couple of times how cool it is. I've had no leaking or sound issues with mine. I didn't with the 2011 either.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:10 PM
RubyRed350Platinum
Senior User
12,500 and no leaks in the rain or car wash.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Y'all have got me brave enough to take mine through a touch free car wash tomorrow.
Ooooh, nope, can't do it yet. I'll get the bucket and hose out.
Sorry I'm chicken. bock, bock, bock!

Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine has never leaked, though... it's never actually seen real rain either, but I've been through the car wash about 4 times. One time through I took a flashlight and watched around the edges, I don't recommend it. The amount of water that pours into the drain rails is more than just a little disconcerting, I can see how any issues with the drain lines could escalate quickly.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:54 AM
AJB-830
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Chris Crews
Is this seriously that much of a problem? like should this keep me from buying the ultimate...
It appears the only way to avoid the sunroof and get all the features of the Lariat Ultimate Package is to upgrade to a King Ranch. But it appears to cost about $3K more with the same equipment. Al

Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Shreve T
Mountain Pass
Knock on wood NO leaks what so ever

Old 04-04-2017, 05:42 AM
jjdhog1975
New User
Update the dealer worked on the sunroof the week of feb 17. I haven't noticed it leaking until yesterday when we had 2" of rain. This time water was pouring out of the overhead console. It is at the dealer again we shall see what happens but I am strongly considering trading it for one with no sunroof.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:07 AM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Honestly the moonroof looks great and a nice addition. However if you're having problems I'd tell the dealer to replace the entire sealing around the moon roof everywhere! And if they won't then request it be a lemon and get another truck the exact same.

This is isn't your fault so I mean. If it continues to peak won't this cause internal damage?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Thumper911
Senior User
Took my truck through a touch free car wash, (self wash) and hit the roof (and my Protraxx MX tonneau) with the power spray multiple times. The roof held dry, and the tonneau was great, although water entered at the base of the tailgate. Overall, very happy to have a waterproof (mostly) truck!

Quick Reply: Leaking moonroof