The $500 IDI adventure - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

The $500 IDI adventure

Old 02-16-2017, 01:31 AM
Posting Guru

mountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant future
The $500 IDI adventure

Howdy folks, I figured I would start a "build thread" on my new purchase.

Got the thing home today, and threw a couple batteries in it. Got it cranking and checked a couple things out. The fuel filter did have fuel in it, though it may have been filled by the PO in attempt to prime the system. Pulling the line to the injection pump revealed no fuel while cranking, and disconnecting the line from the lift pump to the fuel filter revealed the same, dry line. I did not get around to seeing if fuel is getting to the lift pump yet however.

Home safe:

Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 AM
Elder User

The_Josh_Bear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sweet score, hope it's an easy fix! Make sure you have 1/2 tank of fuel, these fuel pickups like to fall off and you are effectively "out of fuel" at 1/4 tank.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 AM
New User

eagleye is starting off with a positive reputation.
How are the fuel tanks? Could the fuel pickup be broken in tank and maybe the lift pump not getting fuel? In my new to me van, Mine works, but I have more than 1/4 tank in both tanks. But I'm pulling the tanks(project) to check my pickups first and see tank condition.

plus my front tank reads low when it's more than 1/2 full so I need to check for a stuck sensor. my rear tank is working fine, so I'll do the front tank when the temp warms up.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Posting Guru

mountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant future
My fuel gauges are really wonky. One reads empty (no idea if true) the other one must be shorted, as it pegs WAY out when I select it. I put a few gallons in the front tank, but I will likely have to keep filling it. Not an easy task with one diesel can and no way to move the truck. As suggested to me eslewhere, I should pull the inlet hose off the lift pump and put it in a container of fuel. If it doesn't suck the fuel up, I know it's the lift pump. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Posting Guru

genscripter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do you have a break line bleeder? If yes, pull each hose from the input end of the selector valve, and see if you can suck some fuel from the hose.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Posting Guru

Unfortunately I don't, so I am going to try to use a manual transfer pump to prime the system.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Senior User

chillman88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So what's the big idea only giving us ONE picture to drool at? Lol
Old 02-16-2017, 04:17 PM
Posting Guru

Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Posting Guru

cadunkle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You stole it, awesome price for a rust free truck, just the trans alone is worth more than you paid. Shouldn't take much to get it going.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Posting Guru

SHE RUNS!!! Managed to get enough fuel into it to get it to very reluctantly, start. Drove it around after adding some PS fluid and it shifted and steered great. Brakes need work and the wipers do not turn off. Buying batteries and odds and ends currently.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Senior User

chillman88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow. Around here that's probably a $4500 truck. Of course... we have a little more rust than you. Even if that truck had rotten fenders it would be a $2500 truck here.

NICE steal! I'm jealous!

Glad you got it running!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:58 PM
Posting Guru

Got the batteries in, and installed a new lift pump. Runs real well.

My brakes are REAL BAD though. Very stiff pedal, and almost zero braking force whatsoever. Any ideas?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Senior User

163junk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.163junk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No suck ? Vac pump bad or belt loose ?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 AM
Posting Guru

Seems to have decent suction, but I will check again tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:44 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
hard pedal means low vacuum to booster.
either a bad pump, bad hose, or bad booster.