2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Question of the Week: 2018 Expedition Styling: Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:01 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I think it's perhaps the best looking Expy that Ford has ever produced.

I guess I'm just super old school. I think the best looking expedition was the 97-98 models and yes I do have a soft spot for them so I'm bias. But what I loved about them was it was clearly a F-150 SUV, just like the Bronco was, just like the Bronco2 and Explorer were to the Ranger, Super Duty and Excursion it showed a clear bloodline within the truck/SUV market.

I just hate to accept that that's not what the masses want anymore apparently.

I really don't like it much the same how I don't like the 2011-up Explorer. It's not a "truck" anymore it's a half breed of sorts. Not to say that it won't be a wonderful vehicle for those who buy. I rented a 2016 Explorer Sport and fully expected to hate it. I didn't though it was a great vehicle for what it was and did all that was asked of it during the 2 weeks I had it. I would never even consider buying one though as it's not what I look for in a SUV in fact I don't think there is a new SUV I would buy. I'll keep my Excursion as it's my definition of a real truck based SUV and I'll continue to miss my old '98 Expedition.

I see why crew cab trucks sell so well, I think many like me who enjoy a truck who used to have the very closely based SUV's have moved into pickups. Maybe not who knows...

Old 02-24-2017, 04:11 PM
brentkhack
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nay. I hope the Navigator will look better than the Expy

Old 02-25-2017, 05:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I guess I'm just super old school. I think the best looking expedition was the 97-98 models and yes I do have a soft spot for them so I'm bias. But what I loved about them was it was clearly a F-150 SUV, just like the Bronco was, just like the Bronco2 and Explorer were to the Ranger, Super Duty and Excursion it showed a clear bloodline within the truck/SUV market.

I just hate to accept that that's not what the masses want anymore apparently.

I really don't like it much the same how I don't like the 2011-up Explorer. It's not a "truck" anymore it's a half breed of sorts. Not to say that it won't be a wonderful vehicle for those who buy. I rented a 2016 Explorer Sport and fully expected to hate it. I didn't though it was a great vehicle for what it was and did all that was asked of it during the 2 weeks I had it. I would never even consider buying one though as it's not what I look for in a SUV in fact I don't think there is a new SUV I would buy. I'll keep my Excursion as it's my definition of a real truck based SUV and I'll continue to miss my old '98 Expedition.

I see why crew cab trucks sell so well, I think many like me who enjoy a truck who used to have the very closely based SUV's have moved into pickups. Maybe not who knows...
I hear ya and I love the Gen 1 Expy's too. Very tough and nice looking and there's still a ton of them on the roads. As for Crew cab trucks, you can't touch an Expy for what you can get a super crew for.

The Expy and Explorer are both so fricken price bloated that I wouldn't consider either, however, I'd drop $65K on a Superduty and feel that I'm getting my money's worth.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are using the sticker price to judge how bloated the expedition price is....Don't forget that there is substantial room to deal below that on Expeditions due to their lower sales figures. (That is until the 2018 drops). I did just about that for my new one. Almost 10K under that sticker price. They are not anywhere near as willing to make deals for superduty pickups.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 PM
AgWagon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going more Explorer they will sell a ton of them. Might not look like the same truck as before but face it... it's moms buying this rig and they don't care about the truck look.

Better they sell a bunch of the Expeditions and stay true to the real trucks.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 AM
Fmc4lfe
Senior User
The pre 18 are so outdated this is what ford needs for this Segment

Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 AM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
most definitely. i like how the new model is mire forward thinking with it feature content, allowing it to remain competitive after the competitors play catch up. also, i like how the looks pay homage to previous expy design cues, while modernizing it to the what the industry is currently into while also aligning it with the refreshed f150 as well

Old 03-15-2017, 08:52 AM
MisterScotty
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fmc4lfe
The pre 18 are so outdated this is what ford needs for this Segment
Couldn't agree more. The DNA (chassis and drivetrain) are great, but the body felt really old.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 PM
MADEXP
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No likey, that's why I went to my nearest dealer and ordered a 2017 Expedition King Ranch--just got the VIN today.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:25 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the 2018 Expy OK and imagine that I will get used to it. On the other hand, the pics of the 2018 Navigator are out and that is GARISH as all getout...I don't think that is something I will get used to.

George

Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
That's funny, I like the looks of the Navigator better, I think because of the more upright front end. Neither really excite me though.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:10 PM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they both look good to me, but i decided on the expy. i wish ford changed the design of the dash to match the design choices of the rest of the interior. the navi interior is fantastic and well worth the price

Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 PM
Stephen Hawk Jr
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not an Explorer it's a rebadged Ford Edge with a minor change to the front end. Take the Explorer right before this body style and an edge right before this body style, place them on either side of this thing and tell me which one it looks most like. I'll make it simple for you it looks almost exactly the same as the edge. Explorer was SUV, Edge is an egg. Minivans look like eggs not Suvs cant wait for the Bronco to come back.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:45 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen Hawk Jr
It's not an Explorer it's a rebadged Ford Edge with a minor change to the front end. Take the Explorer right before this body style and an edge right before this body style, place them on either side of this thing and tell me which one it looks most like. I'll make it simple for you it looks almost exactly the same as the edge. Explorer was SUV, Edge is an egg. Minivans look like eggs not Suvs cant wait for the Bronco to come back.
The Expedition is still huge and separate body/frame construction so comparing it to the Edge or Explorer makes no sense despite some resemblance.

If you are old enough, you might remember how the world "hated" the downsized 1980 F series and Bronco, because Ford made them a bit smaller.

And then the boxy truck fans hated the 1997 "aero" restyle of the F series and the Expedition. It got all rounded and smooth Seems like people got used to them and have gotten a lot of use out of them. I think that people who actually use Expeditions will find them to be just fine, will get used to them, and appreciate their capabilities. (But I personally still don't like the chrome blingy appearance of the Navigator...) Heck, I have trucker buddies who hated the aero Kenworths when they came out but somehow they are now the gold standard...

I hated the '96 Sable and Taurus restyle, but in 2000 we got my wife a used '98 Sable off-lease because it was a great deal and a test drive showed it to be a really great family car (a loaded LS with a Duratec engine). We both loved the car and kept it for 7 years. Got used to the looks and they didn't bother me at all--I loved the driver's seat and performance. In the end, you don't spend that much time standing outside your vehicle and looking at it..

In a couple years, I'm betting that the 2017 Expedition will begin to look dated and we'll be used to the looks of the new one.

George

Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
The 2017 already looks very dated inside and out. Pickup truck enthusiasts don't like change a whole lot, but most SUV buyers do, and everyone else will get used to it like you say. Ford fans did fear the rounded design of the 90's redesigns. They also feared the 2009 tailgate redesign on the F150 because it had some new shape to it. They feared the EcoBoost. They feared the aluminum. I'm glad Ford doesn't pay attention to people's fear.