Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

New Owner, a few questions

Old 02-14-2017, 10:34 PM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 240 Likes on 187 Posts
New Owner, a few questions

Hi all, just picked up a 2013 CCSB 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. 46k miles on it and seems very well taken care of. I come from the 6.0 world. Downgraded as I no longer need the capabilities of the larger superduty platform and use the truck as a daily driver.

I've been able to answer some of my questions with searches but got a few that didn't seem to have answers, so here goes:

1. Is there any way to display more actual gauge readings in the center display? I'm a 6.0 guy so I don't feel right if I can't see all the truck vitals at all times with real numbers. Right now it only shows transmission temperature and the 3rd screen over is completely blank. I've got my trusty ScanGauge from my 6.0 that does work and gets me ECT, boost, etc but it would be really slick to use the factory display for this. Especially boost. Definitely odd to see negative boost at low throttle positions!

2. The throttle is very unresponsive when taking off from a dead stop. It takes a lot of pedal to get it moving. Once I get past a certain point if responds very quickly. Once the truck is moving it responds normally. I've not spent much time with a drive-by-wire so maybe this is normal? Kind of annoying. My 6.0 has waaay better response along with the 2002 F150 5.4L I had before. Maybe the throttle body needs cleaning? I'm hesitant to spray anything down the intake with the stories about people burning up turbos, etc.

3. Is there any definition/guideline to how loud the direct injection should be before you start getting worried? Definitely a new noise to learn. Sounds terrible for a gas engine, but I've heard that DI's can be pretty loud. It sounds like a quiet diesel.

4. The "blanket" underneath the transmission came off right after I bought the truck. Was dragging under the truck for a while at freeway speed before I figured it out so it's pretty destroyed. It's got a 30-day warranty from Carmax so I'm half tempted to take it back and make them give me a new one. I'm guessing it's there to allow the cats to heat up quicker and stay hot, especially in warm climates. Otherwise looks pretty useless so I'm inclined to not take it in. I found arguments for and against it, dont' know if there was ever a consensus?

5. Is there anyway to turn off the annoying chime when you put it in gear with the parking brake on? I will generally shift into gear and then release the parking brake so it's always beeping at me. Went thru the owners manual and fooled around in the setup screens but didn't find anything.

6. Does the tranny typically take a long time to warm up? Like 20+ miles to hit operating temperature of ~190F? The 5R110 in my 6.0 warmed up much quicker, about 10 miles. Also is the 190F the normal operating range? The 5R110 typically operated at 160F and only got up into the 180-190 range if I was towing big in the mountains using the tranny a lot.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2017, 02:51 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by FiveOJester
Hi all, just picked up a 2013 CCSB 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. 46k miles on it and seems very well taken care of. I come from the 6.0 world. Downgraded as I no longer need the capabilities of the larger superduty platform and use the truck as a daily driver.

I've been able to answer some of my questions with searches but got a few that didn't seem to have answers, so here goes:

1. Is there any way to display more actual gauge readings in the center display? I'm a 6.0 guy so I don't feel right if I can't see all the truck vitals at all times with real numbers. Right now it only shows transmission temperature and the 3rd screen over is completely blank. I've got my trusty ScanGauge from my 6.0 that does work and gets me ECT, boost, etc but it would be really slick to use the factory display for this. Especially boost. Definitely odd to see negative boost at low throttle positions!

2. The throttle is very unresponsive when taking off from a dead stop. It takes a lot of pedal to get it moving. Once I get past a certain point if responds very quickly. Once the truck is moving it responds normally. I've not spent much time with a drive-by-wire so maybe this is normal? Kind of annoying. My 6.0 has waaay better response along with the 2002 F150 5.4L I had before. Maybe the throttle body needs cleaning? I'm hesitant to spray anything down the intake with the stories about people burning up turbos, etc.

3. Is there any definition/guideline to how loud the direct injection should be before you start getting worried? Definitely a new noise to learn. Sounds terrible for a gas engine, but I've heard that DI's can be pretty loud. It sounds like a quiet diesel.

4. The "blanket" underneath the transmission came off right after I bought the truck. Was dragging under the truck for a while at freeway speed before I figured it out so it's pretty destroyed. It's got a 30-day warranty from Carmax so I'm half tempted to take it back and make them give me a new one. I'm guessing it's there to allow the cats to heat up quicker and stay hot, especially in warm climates. Otherwise looks pretty useless so I'm inclined to not take it in. I found arguments for and against it, dont' know if there was ever a consensus?

5. Is there anyway to turn off the annoying chime when you put it in gear with the parking brake on? I will generally shift into gear and then release the parking brake so it's always beeping at me. Went thru the owners manual and fooled around in the setup screens but didn't find anything.

6. Does the tranny typically take a long time to warm up? Like 20+ miles to hit operating temperature of ~190F? The 5R110 in my 6.0 warmed up much quicker, about 10 miles. Also is the 190F the normal operating range? The 5R110 typically operated at 160F and only got up into the 180-190 range if I was towing big in the mountains using the tranny a lot.

Thanks!
I'll try a few and welcome BTW,

#1. The 2015+ trucks have more gauge options such as boost PSI, idle hours, etc. The 2009-2014 trucks are somewhat limited.

#2. It does seem to take it a second to get rolling. I'd associate that more with turbo lag than anything. It does take some getting used to but it's still a PITA at times.

#3. The injectors are very loud and that's a typical trait of the 3.5L EB.

#4. I think the fabric underliner is more for aerodynamics than anything. I'd definitely make carmax replace this piece as it's about $140.00 new. It shouldn't hurt anything if you chose to leave it off, many on here have.

#5. Not sure on the chime.

#6. The tranny does longer to heat up than the engine. With that said, I always start and drive when possible allowing the engine and trans to warm up together. I'm not convinced that my practice is good or bad, just my preference. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comparing your new 2013 truck to your older 6.0L truck is apples to oranges. Ford's technology jumps by leaps and bounds in just one new remodel let alone several. The superduty trucks didn't really get into the new full tech till the 2017 model year.

As for spraying anything into the intake, performing an induction cleaning service or introducing anything into the intake or oil system is a big no no on these 3.5L ecoboost trucks.

Ford states that the spark plugs are rated for 100K miles, that's not likely to happen. Be prepared to replace the plugs and boots between 50K and 60K miles. It seems to be a pretty good average that many of us on here are experiencing. It's the nature of the gas turbo engines.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:58 PM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Tim!

Definitely looking at doing spark plugs in the near future. Probably tranny fluid too just 'cause I'm ****. Might wait on the fluid 'till I pass the 60k powertrain warranty just so Ford can't blame me if something happens to the tranny.

Found FordtechMakuloco on youtube and he seems like a great resource. Watched quite a few of his videos so far.

Amazed at how much better this thing rides and drives than my old superduty. Anxious to get my 7k toy hauler behind it as well. Heard great things about this Ecoboost.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by FiveOJester
Thanks Tim!

Definitely looking at doing spark plugs in the near future. Probably tranny fluid too just 'cause I'm ****. Might wait on the fluid 'till I pass the 60k powertrain warranty just so Ford can't blame me if something happens to the tranny.

Found FordtechMakuloco on youtube and he seems like a great resource. Watched quite a few of his videos so far.

Amazed at how much better this thing rides and drives than my old superduty. Anxious to get my 7k toy hauler behind it as well. Heard great things about this Ecoboost.
Glad you saw his vids, he's pretty sharp. I'll tell you this, the engine will not be the limiting factor in your towing needs. The engine will far exceed what the truck overall is capable of.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:58 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Glad you saw his vids, he's pretty sharp. I'll tell you this, the engine will not be the limiting factor in your towing needs. The engine will far exceed what the truck overall is capable of.

That's a fact. It's amazing what this little engine can do.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 PM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SCT Livewire TS will fix your throttle response issues and show more pertinent info like boost, coolant temp, etc. Custom tunes with the SCT tuner is really the way to go.

Don't worry about all of the extra crap underneath.

I have not heard of anyone removing the e brake chime with FORscan but it may be possible.

The injectors are loud.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:15 AM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tseekins
Yeah, I'm most worried about the rear suspension. The toy hauler is pretty tongue heavy when there aren't toys in it. It almost put the Superduty onto the overload springs (without leveling bars). The 02 F150 before that it basically bottomed it out if I didn't use the load leveling bars. Airbags are already on the wish list. I don't think they've stiffened up the rear suspension since 02. This one almost feels softer.

Truck has the standard tow package, I think just the Max Tow gets the heavier rear springs?