K&N cool air intake - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

K&N cool air intake

Old 02-14-2017, 07:31 PM
New User

Dan Kacz is starting off with a positive reputation.
K&N cool air intake

I was thinking about adding a k&n cool air intake on my 95 Bronco 5.0 w/ mass air flow. Is it worth it? And what happens to the Air Charge Temperature Sensor? Or am I better off getting the filter keeping my stock box?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Post Fiend

Conanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud of
Do not put an oiled filter in front of your MAF sensor.. unless you like replacing it shortly after you clean and re-oil the filter or there abouts. Beside.. unless the K&N comes with a completely enclosed airbox it's actually a hot air intake. Yes the K&N will outflow the stock air filter but the fact is there is nothing restrictive on that motor upstream of the cylinder heads so the money you're gonna spend will just buy you some noise.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
Do not put an oiled filter in front of your MAF sensor.. unless you like replacing it shortly after you clean and re-oil the filter or there abouts. Beside.. unless the K&N comes with a completely enclosed airbox it's actually a hot air intake. Yes the K&N will outflow the stock air filter but the fact is there is nothing restrictive on that motor upstream of the cylinder heads so the money you're gonna spend will just buy you some noise.
Thanks that's is something I wanted to hear, it is mostly a daily driver untill I want to have a little fun now and then. I am almost due for an new air filter and I'll just keep her where she at and if it runs good I guess don't mess with it.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Posting Guru

Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.
I will say that I did purchase the K&N FIPK kit for my 96 Bronco when it had the 302 motor in it. I did notice a very SLIGHT performance gain in around 4th and 5th gear at higher RPMs (because I no longer had to downshift on a slight incline on the highway that I drove everyday.)

Overall, it averaged my about 1 to 1.5MPG increase with the filter setup on there with the 7+ years I had it on.

It didn't seem to hurt my MAF sensor, but I was pretty careful on oiling. I know oiled filters CAN mess with the sensor like Conaski was saying and that's defiantly something you want to be very careful of because of important and expensive that sensor is.

I've heard K&N filters don't filter as well as paper filters either which I would believe. The previous owner put a K&N filter on the powerstroke engine I have and the turbo wheel was in terrible shape. I since have replaced the filter with a larger conical paper filter and things are much better.

So overall, the K&N filter setup will probably yeild you a TINY bit better performance and small MPG gains, but you'll have to be pretty careful with the oiled filter setup and realize the cost/benefit analysis. For me having it on 7+ years, it did make a positive difference for me, but if you don't plan on keeping it that long, it's a pretty expensive setup on a stock truck.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:30 PM
Senior User

Thunderhorn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Okay, maybe i am a bit closed minded but here is my take on the subject. Absolutely DO NOT change out to an oiled filter. As a mechanic I have done dozens of aftermarket to stock reversions due to people ruining MAFs as previously noted. Also I dont want to say Bubba is wrong but I find it highly hard-to-believe that he gained even that much of a difference by changing to K&N. Heres why: If stock air filters were restrictive enough to decrease performance, and an aftermarket filter had less resistance, then NO air filter would have even less resistance and therefore increase performance even more. (obviously you wouldn't want to go filter-less) however I have on one occasion on my Kawasaki Vulcan when I wanted to test this theory. I used HIGHLY restricted filters, newly serviced K@N filters, and no filters at all and determined that I could not tell the difference at all. now obviously this one experiment doesn't make me an expert but it is something to consider. Another thing is that on an EFI engine the fuel will be adjusted to match the air intake, and a stock filter is designed to far exceed the highest amount of air a particular engine ever consume so even clogging up a filter a bit wont bring the total air below the acceptable threshold. on the note of cold air, it has already been stated that aftermarket air boxes arent usually any better, and I second that. and finnally, even all those things aside, I am a naysayer of oiled filters for our trucks because oiled filters LOVE dust, that is they ARE indeed better at collecting fine dust than a dry filter (this is their actual purpose) and if you are planning on going offroad your oiled filter will very quickly aquire a nice layer of mud, even if lightly (properly) oiled. I have also seen this an many occasions. If you are okay with servicing your filter after every adventure AND on a regular basis anyway, then disregard this point. Again, I am no automotive engineer and I don't want to say I know better than anyone else on this subject. But those are the conclusions I have arrived at after considering the experience I DO have.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorn View Post
Okay, maybe i am a bit closed minded but here is my take on the subject. Absolutely DO NOT change out to an oiled filter. As a mechanic I have done dozens of aftermarket to stock reversions due to people ruining MAFs as previously noted. Also I dont want to say Bubba is wrong but I find it highly hard-to-believe that he gained even that much of a difference by changing to K&N. Heres why: If stock air filters were restrictive enough to decrease performance, and an aftermarket filter had less resistance, then NO air filter would have even less resistance and therefore increase performance even more. (obviously you wouldn't want to go filter-less) however I have on one occasion on my Kawasaki Vulcan when I wanted to test this theory. I used HIGHLY restricted filters, newly serviced K@N filters, and no filters at all and determined that I could not tell the difference at all. now obviously this one experiment doesn't make me an expert but it is something to consider. Another thing is that on an EFI engine the fuel will be adjusted to match the air intake, and a stock filter is designed to far exceed the highest amount of air a particular engine ever consume so even clogging up a filter a bit wont bring the total air below the acceptable threshold. on the note of cold air, it has already been stated that aftermarket air boxes arent usually any better, and I second that. and finnally, even all those things aside, I am a naysayer of oiled filters for our trucks because oiled filters LOVE dust, that is they ARE indeed better at collecting fine dust than a dry filter (this is their actual purpose) and if you are planning on going offroad your oiled filter will very quickly aquire a nice layer of mud, even if lightly (properly) oiled. I have also seen this an many occasions. If you are okay with servicing your filter after every adventure AND on a regular basis anyway, then disregard this point. Again, I am no automotive engineer and I don't want to say I know better than anyone else on this subject. But those are the conclusions I have arrived at after considering the experience I DO have.
I had the same idea on my mind about it, it's a strong running motor regularly maintained with just over 208. And I just dont want it because it looks cool and give me issues later on down the road.
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
The Southernmost Mod

Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.
The proverbial case of "don't fix what isn't broken". Listen to the guys and don't install that filter, nothing to gain and much to lose since day 1, when you receive a needlessly thinner wallet. And welcome to our little corner of the forum
Old Today, 12:33 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encho View Post
The proverbial case of "don't fix what isn't broken". Listen to the guys and don't install that filter, nothing to gain and much to lose since day 1, when you receive a needlessly thinner wallet. And welcome to our little corner of the forum
Exactly, just installed a fram filter. Always do research before making any car add ons. Joining the forums is one of the best thing I've done. Before hand I joined a old Ford truck page on social media posted the same question and nobody responded in weeks.

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >