Sponsored by: Moser

A/T or M/T? What tires you running?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
A/T or M/T? What tires you running?

Looking at getting some tires. 33's (285/75R16) as usual because I don't have a 4" lift (yet) to fit 35" tires.

What are you fellas running for tires (All-Terrain VS Mud-Terrain), and why?

We're not talking about size here , we're talking tire type.

I've done a fair bit of reading. This article sums things up really well: All-Terrain Vs. Mud-Terrain Tires - 4 Wheel Drive Magazine

I'm going to be doing a bit of everything with my truck. Mud, snow, ice, sand, clay, hot summer pavement, long drives, short drives... but I can't decide which would be better. A/T or M/T?

I live in Saskatchewan where we get all sorts of weather. Everything from -50 degrees Celsius (-58 F), to +40 degrees Celsius (104 F). Its pretty unpredictable up here in the Great White North.

I can't decide, so I'm turning to you. What do you use? What have you been successful with?

I love the look of aggressive M/T's, but A/T's seem more economical and pavement/noise friendly.

Help me choose fellas!

Old 02-14-2017, 10:21 AM
good to doo
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have 315/75/16 bfg MT. They are noisy. In snow they excellerate good but stopping in snow they suck.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM
N2S3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would prefer AT, BFG or Cooper.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM
jakeharp
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Buckshots

33-9.50ish Buckshot mudders = Bias/Loud/rough riding dirt road driving critter shooting Cadillac.......

Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The larger the lug on any tire.......the shorter the life will be......also large lug tires(MT) generally have worse road manners than a smaller lug (AT)........In other words: Noisier, shorter life, not as good of traction on hard packed roads, etc. etc.............just my 2 cents worth from a guy who runs everything from 11x24.5 semi truck tires on down to the wife's car.............MT's are great on a truck that sees 75%+ of its time in the dirt.......any less than that......I'd stick with the AT's.......unless you just HAVE to have the aggressive look.....which I understand too.....

Old 02-14-2017, 12:17 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
AT tires will normally give you more tire mileage that a MT. I run 35x12.50.16.5 BFG AT's on ol blue. Quite tire and rides like a caddy.

33x12.50x16.5 MT's on ol silver, I can see the rubber wearing of on the short laps to and from work.

Also a MT on the front of a 4wd you get will outer tread cupping alot faster. And the need to rotate at 5000 religiously.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Matt1966
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Looking at getting some tires. 33's (285/75R16) as usual because I don't have a 4" lift (yet) to fit 35" tires.

What are you fellas running for tires (All-Terrain VS Mud-Terrain), and why?

We're not talking about size here , we're talking tire type.

I've done a fair bit of reading. This article sums things up really well: All-Terrain Vs. Mud-Terrain Tires - 4 Wheel Drive Magazine

I'm going to be doing a bit of everything with my truck. Mud, snow, ice, sand, clay, hot summer pavement, long drives, short drives... but I can't decide which would be better. A/T or M/T?

I live in Saskatchewan where we get all sorts of weather. Everything from -50 degrees Celsius (-58 F), to +40 degrees Celsius (104 F). Its pretty unpredictable up here in the Great White North.

I can't decide, so I'm turning to you. What do you use? What have you been successful with?

I love the look of aggressive M/T's, but A/T's seem more economical and pavement/noise friendly.

Help me choose fellas!
50 degrees Celsius is nothing up here at 68.4 Latitud ! That's when we stop using Sandals. When I get old and retire and need a decent climate, I will move to Saskatchewan!!
Sorry! I just had to. Holy Smoke! -50 is low!!
I love the look of M/T's too but I did a compromise and went for BFG A/T's and I am very pleased. Feels comfortable enough on pavement but also decent on snow and decent off road. I used Tire Studs in the A/T's for a while but I really dont think it's necessary. I know nothing about hot summer pavement!!!

Old 02-14-2017, 01:13 PM
D-rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATs are better on packed snow and ice due to having typically much more tread siping than a MT tire. Something to consider where you live. MTs shine more in mud (obviously), as well as for rock crawling.

ATs are going to beat MTs on the road almost every time for noise, handling, and on road performance. Both can be good in the rain because they have sufficient voids to pump out water without hydroplaning.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:31 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
35-inch Goodyear Wrangler AT with a 4-inch lift. Worked fine with a 2-inch lift too.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt1966
Holy Smoke! -50 is low!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ures_in_Canada

Check it out

Regina broke it's Record of -50 on the temp scale sometime in 2007 (wikipedia aint updated!).

I remember that day because I was outside... without gloves on... trying to boost my car. Idiot me haha.

Originally Posted by Matt1966
I love the look of M/T's too but I did a compromise and went for BFG A/T's and I am very pleased.
Sounds like you fellas are running A/T's with a lot of success.

All great points on the M/T vs A/T (wear, wear pattern, noise, handling, swapping/rotating, etc).

From the looks of it, I should be running A/T's even though I would like a set of M/T's for their looks

Any further comments are certainly appreciated!

Old 02-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Leef250
Senior User
I had the same issue on trying to decide on what to run, and ended up going with P236/75 R 16 BF Goodrich AT tires, due to the fact that they work well in most situations that I will be in and due to the fact that my father in law is a logger and has always, always ran stock tires on his work trucks for running up and down logging roads. True, logging roads are really all that muddy and are far from being true off roading , nothing extreme but as my truck will be mostly on road or logging roads I decided that if stock tires are good enough for him, then the AT's would be more than good enough for me.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:25 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Aaron, I live up near Nipawin, and I have ran all sorts.

Right now I run cooper st maxx, and they are sort of an aggressive all season. duratrack by goodyear would be pretty similar. They are great for an all around tire, but you do lose a little in the mud vs a mud tire.

On a farm truck I run a set of old style goodyear mt/r, and they are really great tires. They handle everything well, except since they are a harder compound rubber, they dont handle the icy stuff near as good as my others. Better in the mud though!

Id say if you want a little of everything, look into the aggressive style a/ts such as the duratrack or the cooper st maxx.

If you can handle the noise, lower life, and poorer ice traction, but want better mud traction, look into an M/t.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:21 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
I had 25k miles on my last set of MTs and there was easily 25k left in them when I sold the truck. Rode well, quiet, towed 9k with them and hauled 2 ton. No cupping or anything of the sort. Also had them in 28" of snow and wouldn't try that in an AT. AT's in mud don't clean themselves like an MT.

For as often as I use my truck (about 2k miles per yr) I will continue with MTs as the tire of choice. I really don't see the limitation if using a quality tire. Also they will last me 20yrs before I have to buy another set.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I run General AT + 2 from memory. These are excellent on ice/snow/rain and quite good on hot dry roads. From sub zero to 100F. I have run them in the dirt a little and they did OK. No issues. I am sure in heavy dirt/mud a heavier lug tire would do better but that is not my application. For a 4 season 4 x 4 I would recommend this type unless mud running is top of the list.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:53 AM
cinderblock
Freshman User
Originally Posted by somethingclever
I had 25k miles on my last set of MTs and there was easily 25k left in them when I sold the truck. Rode well, quiet, towed 9k with them and hauled 2 ton. No cupping or anything of the sort. Also had them in 28" of snow and wouldn't try that in an AT. AT's in mud don't clean themselves like an MT.

For as often as I use my truck (about 2k miles per yr) I will continue with MTs as the tire of choice. I really don't see the limitation if using a quality tire. Also they will last me 20yrs before I have to buy another set.

You had the same set of tires for 12 years?!?!?

Quick Reply: A/T or M/T? What tires you running?