6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Quick injector question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:25 PM
McBusiness11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick injector question

I hydrolocked my 2005 f350 6.0 and have cleared it, it was the number 4 injector, but when I pulled it out, the tip is black (I'm assuming it's burned) and the copper washer was are up and not on the tip. I was able to retrieve what I believe is most of the washer. My question is, with the washer being are up, what happened? The hold down screw wasn't tight, but I guess that was from the washer being gone. Should I even attempt to put a new washer on this injector and give it a shot, or just replace the injector? It's a stock injector and I've heard they rarely go out on a 2005+ 6.0, and I'm just curious if I'm throwing money away replacing it. Thank you!

Old 02-12-2017, 05:32 PM
daddykitty
Elder User
Clean the cup, re-ring the injector and blow out the hold down bolt hole and see what happens. 10 bucks for the o ring kit from alliant vs 203.50 + core for the injector. Not sure what you mean by the washer being "up". It should seat on the base of the tip with the 2 raised parts toward the injector and the single raised part towards the tip. Tip is black because it is in the combustion chamber. If the body of the injector is black past the tip then you have a leaking or blown copper washer. 24 lbft for the T40 and 26lbft for the T45 hold down bolt.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:49 PM
McBusiness11
Senior User
Yeah it looks a lot worse than any of the other injectors.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:34 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by McBusiness11
Yeah it looks a lot worse than any of the other injectors.
Did you have a code during/after this happened?

I think I would stick a Ford reman back in the hole. Whoever told you the later builds rarely go bad was mistaken, does not matter what year 6.0 one has. They can and do go bad, depending on the truck. That is not to say you might be able to use that injector yet and go another 50k miles. It's not #5 or #7 so you have that going for you if it does crap out.
When you say the washer being up, if you mean it was up resting on the injector body that is correct. It seats between the bottom of the nozzle body and the bore cup, hence the name "crush washer"

Old 02-13-2017, 07:51 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
I wouldn't be reusing that injector.

Mike, why did you mention 5 & 7?

Old 02-13-2017, 08:24 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.

Some think they are harder to get to, I found that side easier than the drivers side but then I think the 6.0 is relatively easy to work on.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.

5 and 7 are the worst two injectors to get at, in the event the OP decided to take a chance and reuse the injector, at least #4 is one of the easiest to access

I would agree, if it was mine would be throwing a reman FORD only back in that hole. I think Randy had this very issue after he did an injector o-ring thread.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jsm180
Some think they are harder to get to, I found that side easier than the drivers side but then I think the 6.0 is relatively easy to work on.
You must be a glutton for punishment then

Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by navistarnut
5 and 7 are the worst two injectors to get at, in the event the OP decided to take a chance and reuse the injector, at least #4 is one of the easiest to access

I would agree, if it was mine would be throwing a reman FORD only back in that hole. I think Randy had this very issue after he did an injector o-ring thread.
#8 in my case, I replaced it with a Ford Reman, didn't even hesitate to replace it. Tip was blackened, copper was damaged... out with it!

Bubble test the truck when its done was the lesson I learned, may have saved it.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
I may do all on the drivers side which is why I asked.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 AM
McBusiness11
Senior User
I wasn't getting notifications on these posts. I did put a reman injector in it. My phone must have typed the wrong word, because the copper washer wasn't "being up" it was "ate up" as in it was destroyed. I fished all the little pieces I could out of the bore, cleaned it up and installed a reman ford injector yesterday that a buddy had never used. Unfortunately the truck is an hour away, and it got dark so I had to call it quits before it ran. All I have to do is mount the FICM, air filter, and hook some hoses up. I didn't have a way to get both trucks home anyways so I called it. The bad injector was extremely black on the end, way up past the tip. I pulled #2 and #6 just to look at them as reference. I knew the knocking I heard when I got it to fire that one time was going to be the problem, and it came from the drivers side so that's where I started, and it sure enough was right. It was super dark where I was, so if say the smoke I was seeing was unburnt fuel that I mistook for coolant.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by McBusiness11
I wasn't getting notifications on these posts. I did put a reman injector in it. My phone must have typed the wrong word, because the copper washer wasn't "being up" it was "ate up" as in it was destroyed. I fished all the little pieces I could out of the bore, cleaned it up and installed a reman ford injector yesterday that a buddy had never used. Unfortunately the truck is an hour away, and it got dark so I had to call it quits before it ran. All I have to do is mount the FICM, air filter, and hook some hoses up. I didn't have a way to get both trucks home anyways so I called it. The bad injector was extremely black on the end, way up past the tip. I pulled #2 and #6 just to look at them as reference. I knew the knocking I heard when I got it to fire that one time was going to be the problem, and it came from the drivers side so that's where I started, and it sure enough was right. It was super dark where I was, so if say the smoke I was seeing was unburnt fuel that I mistook for coolant.
Not trying to point out the obvious but you did put a new crush washer on 2 and 6 before going back in? If not, they will need to come back out.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you removed any other injectors then you should reseal them before they go back in. That copper crush washer is meant as a "one time use" seal. The others you could get away with reusing if needed, but I wouldn't risk the crush washer especially when you're going through exactly what you're explaining.

EDIT: Mike beat me to it, but I will leave the info here because it is important to help prevent the same issue you have.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 AM
McBusiness11
Senior User
Well I guess they'll be coming back out. Lol. I did not reseal them. I figured with them barely having 500 miles on the last reseal I did, they may be ok. So I put them back in.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately they do not sell only the crush washer and they come as a set. Could you reuse the others? Yes. Should you? That's up to you. I would not since there is no reason to not.

Quick Reply: Quick injector question