2016 paint problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 03:32 PM
kermit
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 paint problems?

Hello all,

I have had my truck since May of 16. I am finding more and more 'rock chips', even in places that shouldn't have rock chips like the bed side and the middle of the hood, closer to the windshield.

Is this a side effect of the aluminum body and flexibility versus the paint sticking, or is it something else (in your opinions)? It bugs me that I spent almost 50K on a brand new truck and already have paint coming off of it. My wifes 14 Explorer has seen all the same roads and has three times the miles and doesn't have ANY of these problems.

Oh, I also noticed that in the gutters I can see the clear coat...like the robot missed part of it. I am planning on taking it in for that to be fixed, but what does everybody else think on the rest?

Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-12-2017, 05:19 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
It's a common problem with the water based paints used these days. If you drive in an area with expressways divided by a concrete barrier, it makes the problem worse since debris is constantly kicked up in a swirl around passing vehicles, especially 18 wheelers.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haven't found any issues yet with my truck.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a couple of rock chips, all on the very front of the hood. Par for the course around here. Other than that, no issues.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:54 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yah, got one the other day, i actually heard the impact, thought it was the windshield that took it but found out during a wash that a small spot on the middle left side of the hood, just left of the valley profile. Very odd place to get a chip, i asked about the touch up paint and got great advice from the group here, i got the factory/oem touch up.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:58 PM
MedicAR
New User
Suddenly I have Chips

I've had my Black 2016 F150 since September of that year. I had a few chips in that time and chalked it up to normal wear and tear. I was disappointed but that's the way it goes. In washing the truck the other day I probably have about two dozen chips in the paint. I've stopped regularly using the interstate and the truck has never even seen a dirt road. Seriously, not once. I have chips out down the sides as well as all across the hood.

I know this thread has been quiet for awhile, is the problem still a thing? Was it just a couple of us?

Old 09-01-2019, 08:17 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
My buddy works in a body shop and says the new water based paint aren't as durable. My wife's 2018 with 17000 miles has only had chips on the front bumper which is to be expected with a painted bumper.

I just got my 2019 so the jury is still out but I did notice the paint around the bottom of the doors is sloppy and I actually had a little bit of paint missing on one of the corners. There was some bare shiny aluminum showing so I just primed it and touched it up.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:40 PM
idrive
Junior User
Today's paint is not as durable as years gone by.

If you drive your truck you're going to get rock chips. If you want to stop as many as possible put a clear bra on.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:45 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by kermit
Hello all,

I have had my truck since May of 16. I am finding more and more 'rock chips', even in places that shouldn't have rock chips like the bed side and the middle of the hood, closer to the windshield.

Is this a side effect of the aluminum body and flexibility versus the paint sticking, or is it something else (in your opinions)? It bugs me that I spent almost 50K on a brand new truck and already have paint coming off of it. My wifes 14 Explorer has seen all the same roads and has three times the miles and doesn't have ANY of these problems.

Oh, I also noticed that in the gutters I can see the clear coat...like the robot missed part of it. I am planning on taking it in for that to be fixed, but what does everybody else think on the rest?

Thanks.
Normal wear and tear of an almost five year old vehicle and the price has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:32 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The truck was not a year old.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:17 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
My paint is holding up good on my 2017. It only has a few chips which is surprising since my tires stick out a little over an inch. I make sure not to follow other vehicles too close to keep the front end from getting chips.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
It's a common problem with the water based paints used these days. If you drive in an area with expressways divided by a concrete barrier, it makes the problem worse since debris is constantly kicked up in a swirl around passing vehicles, especially 18 wheelers.
This. The EPA set very tight VOC limits on the manufacturers, forcing them to use inferior paint that chips more easily. Yet another case of our own government screwing up our vehicles.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
My paint is holding up good on my 2017. It only has a few chips which is surprising since my tires stick out a little over an inch. I make sure not to follow other vehicles too close to keep the front end from getting chips.

Love that blue!

Old 06-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Cjpeddicord
New User
Chips and Nics

It almost looks like paint chipping on a house

Originally Posted by kermit
Hello all,

Thanks.
same here with the Nics. I just wrote it off as rocks off the road and par for the course. But the other day I was giving this bad boy a bath and noticed paint chipping above the windshield and one of the channels on the roof. Not to mention all of my wheels peeling. Which ford has said they will pay have to replace wheels.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:43 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Ouch. Used to see that on white trucks a decade ago and more, but not lately. Did you buy it new? Has it had any paint or body work?

Quick Reply: 2016 paint problems?