Anyone Else Have The Urge to Start Ripping Walls Off A Brand New Trailer?

Old 03-22-2017, 03:49 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Very appropriate thread

I just read the title to the Mrs...she's been not real pleased with my ideas so far for this spot below the cabinet, in the unused space next to the converter.

Surely the electric cord doesn't need THAT much space, LOL.

It amazes me how these are constructed and the thinness of the materials and supports.

Your "Cinema Wall" looks really nice!

Is it just me, or is that TV a little crooked?

j/k It looks great
Did you already remove the screws and slide the converter out to see how much room you actually have?

Steve

Old 03-22-2017, 06:37 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,398 Likes on 995 Posts
If there was room behind the converter then maybe a shallow shelf with fishnet to secure it.

But that converter needs some air to keep cooler.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Another shelf or cabinet would do well there for you. Eventually I will cut out an area velow the tv so we can place the game consoles and blueray under it.

Right now I dont have the time for any other projects and we still have plenty of room; there are still empty cabinets in this thing.

I get my toy hauler back in the next few days from some warranty work and then this one will go in for the huge list of warranty work that has piled up. I also don't want to be in the middle of any projects when it goes into the shop.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:00 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
the Mrs... not real pleased with my ideas so far for this spot below the cabinet, in the unused space next to the converter.

Surely the electric cord doesn't need THAT much space, LOL.
Ah, but it might need the cavity so the converter does not cook itself. Smaller cavity heats faster. So, if you do capture that space, allow for some venting of the remaining enclosure.

Prior to committing on capturing the space, might consider pulling the electric box to see what is going on in back of it

Old 03-22-2017, 08:07 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Here is the area from the outside. The floor of the camper is at the top of the brown trim.

The area has the converter on the inside and the Water fill tube, outside shower cutout and hookups, and the power cord mouse hole on the outside.

I "expect" there to be a lower cavity (maybe half?) of that dead space to be the little box they put in to contain the electrical cord, with a divider between it and the converter.

I also "expect" all of the outcoming wires, both 12v and 110v to be coming from the converter, some of which will likely be crossing the initial blank area I showed- unless it all goes to the roof and then into the slide?

I was thinking an electric fireplace/heater. Some are 6-10 inches deep and all kinds of styles and sizes.

The Mrs wasn't too keen on it. I asked what was wrong, I thought she'd like it.

Her reply: "I don't the idea of you cutting into our brand new (to us) camper walls. I think it's beautiful the way it is"

Then I read the title of this thread

I also thought about an electronics command center of some sort, but it isn't accessible when the slide is closed. That might go on the end of the section, beside the face of the Converter.

What kind of things do you guys monitor? Voltage of batteries, DC amps, AC amps (to managed generator capacity), charging status, what else?

I'm not opposed to building an Arduino or similar display and monitoring system (with remote connection to phone/tablet of course)

Maybe that is the direction to approach this? What would you guys recommend as useful/needed, then see if I can fit it there? LOL.

Twitch- what would you add below your TV? Shelf, drawers, electronics systems? They are pretty slim form these days.

BTW, we're not TV people. Netflix sometimes.

I might just be getting antsy while I wait for the remote controlled power tongue jack, remanufactured cooling unit for the fridge, LED scare light, LED panels (a month from China) for all the lights, and figuring out tires... LOL.

We were looking at trips last night. Looks like we can "Get there" within a week or two, but round trip...probably a month

Anyone else hearing The Call of the Wild?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru

Twitch- what would you add below your TV? Shelf, drawers, electronics systems? They are pretty slim form these days.

We were looking at trips last night. Looks like we can "Get there" within a week or two, but round trip...probably a month

Anyone else hearing The Call of the Wild?
I will most likely put the electronic systems there; XBOX, Bluray, GameCube, laptop that we use for streaming, and some movies/games.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
I installed my EMS in the void behind the cord / below the converted. Then mounted the remote display on the cabinet so it's easy to see. I also tapped in to a 12v line and mounted a voltage meter to see what my batteries are doing.

Amazon Amazon

Unfortunately, with all the wiring, there was no way to use that area for a shelf or anything similar.

P.S. I should add that the first time out after installing the EMS, it dropped us off the grid 6 times due to low voltage at the campground. Money very well spent IMO.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
So I have that itch again...

I am not too sure if I can do this one or if I will to have the dealer do it. The other night I took off the panel to the water heater and there is a ton of room under there. Plenty of room for a larger tank. We currently have a 10g water heater but wonder how much more space is needed for the 16g. Anyone know how hard one is to install? I saw they now have tankless water heaters for RVs but I have not looked into the gas and electrical demands of them yet.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:14 AM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Dometic DI-CS8E RVac Ultra Compact Central Vacuum System
Amazon Amazon

I'm looking for a spot to install one of these vac units in our TT. Camping with friends last weekend I was amazed at the performance and usefulness.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
We don't have a lot of carpet so we have not put much thought in a central unit. We had a Dyson for almost 10 years that just went up on us. Whenever I need to, I just borrow the one from work and take back the next day.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:11 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I bought one of these:
Amazon Amazon

It's the lightest, most powerful vacuum cleaner I've ever used. I cannot say enough good things about it. I will have one in my house, RV, or wherever I live for the rest of my life. Everyone I've let use it wants to buy one.