TECH ==== CDR SERVICE

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:13 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Leroy Unlisted

snip<

just for anyone reading this as an instructional .. there's not supposed to be rtv on the o-ring or grommet ..

the gaskets themselves make the seal .. any extra could possibly fall off into the valley pan and clog up one of the oiling galleys ..
I thought about that and as a rule that's a good caution because most people just do not know how to properly use and apply sealants.* RTV sealants or similar sealants get into oil all the time from split main bearing seals for example, (Black RTV specified in Factory manuals) and from other locations like oil pans, valve covers, etc. I was very careful. *I have a lot of industrial, technical, (including physical lab testing) and construction experience with a number of sealants. (EPDM, Butyl, Neoprene and Urethanes mainly) and a lot of experience applying sealants- miles of sealants using caulking guns (causes carpal-tunnel syndrome) - I do a very clean and neat job too! I was just not concerned about RTV getting in the oil. I could say this: "I've never heard of" oil galleys being plugged with RTV "in my experience," which, I want to point out, that in "my experience" means just about "zero" because it probably does happen on occasions.

Some of the cooling tubes that I could see in my old radiator were plugged with pieces of cured RTV. Who knows how much of the radiator was plugged or HOW to get it out?! Some good sized pieces were also floating in the top tank below the radiator cap. Good-bye to THAT radiator! Probably from a messy thermostat or water pump job, so yeah, some people way over do it with the sealants.

What I WAS concerned about is the old and hardened grommet. That's also why I didn't push back and move the CDR all over the place to get it out. I didn't have a replacement and no lead on where to get one but this job had to be done!

With the proper thickness of the gasket to the intake you shouldn't have to push it back more than enough to break the seal of the gasket loose from the intake and then it should come straight up and out. I also wanted an air-tight seal so the CDR would balance the pressure and vacuum properly. I'll replace it with a new grommet and new CDR next time! Then I won't need a sealant for an air-tight/water tight seal.

Otherwise the 'Do not use sealants' unless specified is the generally accepted rule and I agree.

.. put some M40 all over the lid rope seal on the bottom of the lid rejuvenating - and making that air tight .. and cinched it all down again ..
Do you know where I can buy or order the "rope" type seals? The one in my Banks air cleaner lid is deteriorated way beyond reconditioning. I used a very high quality clear silicone sealant to glaze-coat it so it wouldn't continue to crumble away and for a temporary fix. I let it cure up well and then reinstalled it but I definitely want to fix it right. It's probably different and a different shape than the original ford lid seal. The groove or slot that it fit's into is quite deep and narrow. It looks like it was either an un-cured rubber seal that was pressed in and cured in place or possibly a cured seal that was glued in.

I just need to get a START on where to find something that will work. I'll probably have to take a photo of it after removing a small piece and with some measurements send it out to some distributors or manufacturers. There weren't many of these Banks Power Pack systems made and sold. Originally I think that they were offered as a dealer option and then possibly aftermarket but a short time later, by 1988 they were set aside and forgotten about due to the new Banks Turbochargers.

I'm confident that when I have the time I will find something that will be ideal.

About your air-cleaner and filter work:
i expect she'll pull a bit harder .. run a little cleaner .. and probably see improved fuel economy ..

all in well worth the effort .. okay .. bye for now .

Leroy
I just wanted to comment that you have done a LOT of things to your truck that were well worth the effort, Leroy. It feels good to get things like this done! Even small things. I have so many of those I hardly know where or when to start!

I don't want to wander off topic but I often do. Air cleaner assemblies are somewhat on topic since, like the CDR, they are related to the Intake.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:38 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by genscripter
Leroy, Great thread!

If I may so bold, but I'd like to post some pictures of the CDR locations on the IDI van, for future reference.
Thanks for posting all of those photos and descriptions of the IDI van applications with the two different turbo systems! That was very interesting, educational and *mind expanding* (I lived in California in the mid-late 1960's, LOL).

But no joke, your post did expand my knowledge and perceptions considerably.

I was thinking specifically about your projects while I was writing my first reply here. I have a couple of quick and simple-to-answer questions about what you posted here but I am much too tired to write those so they'll have to wait.