1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sad news about the '53

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad news about the '53

Well guys, after daily driving the '53 f250 that I restored form the ground up for almost a year; I've given up. I'm 19 years old and it is my first vehicle. That's right. I've own it since the beginning. I shoehorned a 300 i6 into it my sophomore year of high school and have been driving it since my junior year.

Recently I have been battling keeping it running reliably since I have a full time job, am taking 15 units at a 4 year university, and have a small cattle ranch to manage as well as rodeos to compete in on the weekends. After a no start situation, and steering issues to boot, I finally gave up on "old blue" a month ago. Took her off the insurance and she will go on non op at the DMV soon. A tough decision to make, but a necessary one all in all. Sorry for letting you guys down, I've been putting off this thread for quite some time because I still feel a little ashamed and put down by the events that have transpired. If you guys have no clue as to which truck I'm talking about, you can find my build thread here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...53-f250-3.html

Old 02-10-2017, 11:28 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Sorry to hear that but you have nothing to be ashamed about. You built a truck as a young guy, drove it and how are taking 15 credits in college, plus taking care of a cattle ranch. That is quite a plateful!

However you didn't say you were selling your truck. Will you store it nice and dry so you can come back to it at some point? Good luck and dont be a stranger here.

BTW, your link didn't work.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:36 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I just sold a project car I'd owned for 8 years, just decided it was time for a change. Nothing wrong with change! Hope you can get it back on the road, but clearly you have a lot on your plate at the moment. Be proud of what you accomplished!

Old 02-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
Sorry to hear that but you have nothing to be ashamed about. You built a truck as a young guy, drove it and how are taking 15 credits in college, plus taking care of a cattle ranch. That is quite a plateful!

However you didn't say you were selling your truck. Will you store it nice and dry so you can come back to it at some point? Good luck and dont be a stranger here.

BTW, your link didn't work.
It will be stored nice and dry. There's no way I'm getting rid of it. I'm so thankful for everyone on this forum and the knowledge and guidance they have given me over these past 7.5 years. Btw I definitely will drop in from time to time.
You guys are great. Btw, I might be a little more active '99-'03 forum now....

Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I just sold a project car I'd owned for 8 years, just decided it was time for a change. Nothing wrong with change! Hope you can get it back on the road, but clearly you have a lot on your plate at the moment. Be proud of what you accomplished!
Thank you. My plate is as full as I dare let it be. I'm glad you were able to make a change. I'm not getting rid of the truck for I fear what may become of it if I do. It's my first vehicle; one in which I poured blood, sweat, actual tears, and countless memories into. I will cherish them for as long as I may live. I vow one day to see my dream build to come true. There's no way it won't happen, the plan has just been prolonged.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No need to apologize. Our only advice is to never get rid of it. Most of us are so envious of what you've already done. If only I would have bought a few of these old trucks when I was in high school!! Back then they weren't much older than your "new" F250.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 PM
rusty48
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Life is full of changes and challenges. The fact you are choosing to keep it begs the next question. If its gona sit for 1,2, 5+ years, How to best pickle it so you can pick up where you left off whenever that time comes. Get it on blocks, drain the fuel, and fluids, Im sure the guys here will have more advice as to what they have done. Just saves a mess whenever you get back too it.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:39 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Change is good - keep working as hard as you are and you will have the time and $$ to get it back on the road. Education is much more important than keeping an old truck running. Get as much as you can - it may be hard at times to keep going to classes but in the long run it is a very short time. When you are as old as some ofus are you will look back and say that was a great time in life that went by way to fast.
The beast came out of a PA barn after it was in there for 42 years. Up on blocks, with hundreds of MOTH ***** under it, on the frame rails, on the floor, on the rear window deck and on the engine. If only they wold have filled the engine with oil. Store it right and you can get it back on the road a lot easier.
Have fun work hard and get that DIPLOMA !!

Old 02-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mitch. But as others have said it's much more important to get that education at your age. I also think that you should store the truck so you can come back to it in the future. Most "old car" people don't try to drive their old car as a daily driver. Most need to have a late model current vehicle for dependability. I have watched your thread and came back with a lot of good info which I will use on my build. You should be very proud of what you accomplished. Just think of the truck as being shelved for a period.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just not the right time for the two of you to continue the relationship. Pick back up after you two are in the right place again.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:13 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
The good news is

The fact that you are going to keep it is a bonus. I am struggling with havng to possibly get rid of a '59 Beetle I have been working on. Money is always a motivating factor.

Keep your eyes on this site, and keep your hand in.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:56 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds to me as a wise decision, your education and paying your bills is paramount in your life right now. You can go back to working on your truck at a later date, it's only going to go up in value. Ive herd guys talk about ways to keep mice an stuff out of it while it sleeps, but I cant remember what they used, moth ***** maybe, I just cant remember. Your part of the family here so don't forget to write home every once in a while. You have plenty to be proud of my young friend, keep it up.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Sounds to me as a wise decision, your education and paying your bills is paramount in your life right now. You can go back to working on your truck at a later date, it's only going to go up in value. Ive herd guys talk about ways to keep mice an stuff out of it while it sleeps, but I cant remember what they used, moth ***** maybe, I just cant remember. Your part of the family here so don't forget to write home every once in a while. You have plenty to be proud of my young friend, keep it up.
Jimmy moth ***** work and so do dryer sheets. Both have to be replaced every once and a while. Dryer sheets more often than moth *****. But the moth ***** take a lot longer to get the smell out after you take it out of storage. Frebreeze works for that.