Engine block heater time - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Engine block heater time

Old 02-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Senior User

Jesse73iditurbo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine block heater time

I have a timer on my block heater so it only comes on for a little while. It's on my 93 7.3. Usually if it gets to be about 25 ish degrees out I do not bother plugging in. Below that I plug in for about 2 hours 2.5 ish and all is well. Once it hits single digits or the weather says it's for example 9 degrees actual but feels like -10 I plug it in for 4 4.5 hours. That seem pretty normal? I mean honestly I feel if i forgot to plug in on a temp like that it would probably start but absolutely hate it and I'd have to do a couple glow cycles. I usually glow about 7 seconds on 30 ish degrees and at 20 to 25 degrees I glow about 10 to 13 seconds and at like 10 or anything lower I would do about 18 seconds. And of it wouldnt start (which id be surprised) id let it sit for 20 seconds and do another 5 seconds. This is not plugged in. Plugged in I'd do about 5 to 7 seconds no matter what the temp because if it was warmer than 20 to 25 degrees it wouldn't be plugged in anyway. Also I have a manual glow system. Just seeing if what I do is normal or bad. Fortunately iv never had fuel gel (yet) I put about 4 ounces of Howes additive for every 5 gallons of fuel. Never an issue so far and it's gotten to about -15 for almost a week back in December. Anyway wat do you guys think?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:41 PM
Elder User

Leroy Unlisted is starting off with a positive reputation.
i'd say 3hrs max is about all you'd ever need ..

it's a pretty powerfull block heater i can't remeber off hand 10-15 amps ..

main thing is to get a timer capable of flowing that current so it doesn't burn up ..
Old 02-10-2017, 12:04 AM
Post Fiend

hairyboxnoogle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hairyboxnoogle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Unlisted View Post
i'd say 3hrs max is about all you'd ever need ..

it's a pretty powerfull block heater i can't remeber off hand 10-15 amps ..

main thing is to get a timer capable of flowing that current so it doesn't burn up ..
1000w so by my electrical degree 8.3 amps (my degree is in crayon tho) enough to make quite the lightshow when the cord rubs through.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:17 AM
Senior User

Jesse73iditurbo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a a nice heavy duty cord and the timer is like 15 am rated. This mornin it says -10. I had it kn for 4.5 hours and glowed for 7 seconds. Started right up nicely
Old 02-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Posting Guru

jayro88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I always set my timer to start 2.5-3hrs before I left. It always started easy and provided quick heat even with temps down in the negative teens.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Freshman User

eagleye is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yup the block heater is about 800 to 1000 watts as measured with my watt meter. All those times sound fine for manual glow plug starting.

Plus we are all forgetting fresh batteries. I've battled getting my batteries back recharged after sitting for a while. With these diesel engines I do notice a difference with battery charge and starting time. A fresh battery turns the starter faster and seems to light the engine up quicker. Even slightly down on charge and there is a longer time to start with slightly slower cranking speed.

My solution, a 2 Amp trickle charger keeps the batteries fresh. As the temp drops so does cranking power. If you have to plug in the block heater, I think a 2 amp permanent charger under the hood attached to the batteries would help. Plug in the block heater and charger at the same time, even leave the battery charging all night. Not much power and it adds a little warmth to the batteries so you get more cranking power and speed on startup.

I also believe trickle chargers help extend battery life when batteries sit idle. prevents deposits from forming on plates.