1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Liftgate or Liftglass Ajar Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:47 AM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Liftgate or Liftglass Ajar Warning

Hey got this awhile back with a lot of issues slowly working them out. Latest one is I noticed is sometimes if I shut the drivers door the rear power hatch would open. Trying different things I found out that the power hatch mechanism didn't shut it tight enough and if I manually shut it the hatch would not open when I shut the drivers (or any other) door. So been driving it about a week and a half and this morning noticed the interior lights stayed on and when I started truck got the Lift gate or Lift glass Ajar warning on the information center. The interior lights will stay on until after I start driving but when I park and shut off engine the lights stay on. I looked and see there is a latch/lock at bottom of lift gate and on the sides there are 2 plastic pieces that seem to move when the lift gate closes. Where should I start to look?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:10 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked that the glass is closed?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:35 AM
rowekmr
Elder User
Yes good point I did check that twice by opening the closing it then pulling on it to make sure it is secure.

Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
Have you checked that the glass is closed?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:51 PM
memewheelerandealer
New User
I've had the same issue, the liftglass actually had the hinges crack right in half because you have to really close it pretty hard. I'd suggest maybe some WD-40 in the latch to try to get it to activate the switch in there. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:16 AM
Starry Night
Junior User
Originally Posted by rowekmr
Hey got this awhile back with a lot of issues slowly working them out. Latest one is I noticed is sometimes if I shut the drivers door the rear power hatch would open. Trying different things I found out that the power hatch mechanism didn't shut it tight enough and if I manually shut it the hatch would not open when I shut the drivers (or any other) door. So been driving it about a week and a half and this morning noticed the interior lights stayed on and when I started truck got the Lift gate or Lift glass Ajar warning on the information center. The interior lights will stay on until after I start driving but when I park and shut off engine the lights stay on. I looked and see there is a latch/lock at bottom of lift gate and on the sides there are 2 plastic pieces that seem to move when the lift gate closes. Where should I start to look?
I have the same issue with my 2004 Navigator. It sounds like the door latch locks but then unlocks and the lift gates ajar light is on and of course the interior light remain on.
I sprayed WD40 all inside it worked once but then it does not seem to grab and lock again. One thing I notice is that once it would not lock then you open manually it would not close while pressing the interior lift gate button. It would stop twice during its close cycle. I would then proceed to push the close button two additional times. It would finally close lock then unlock.

I am stumped on this one.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Yeah Starry Night these things are strange.

First I tried dry lubricant on everything moving with no changes. Then I used electrical contact cleaner on the 2 black thingy on the side of the hatch with a spring and black plunger in it. One had gunk in it that I cleared with a toothbrush. Then I sprayed WD40 on all hinges including the lift struts, those 2 black thingy and what they rest against in the hatch jamb. Now when I power close it comes down then right before it closes sorta bounces then closes slow but not secure. At least now when I manually close it no interior lights or warning flashes on dash. So I solved that problem I think (hadn't have the nerve to try it again I need to drive it for now)

I am wondering if my rear struts are bad and that is causing the bouncing when the hatch closes like they are not giving enough resistance to the electric motor that closes it and it is some sort of safety function (from overspeed ?) that causes it to pause then recontinue which looks like a bounce.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Starry Night
Junior User
The weather is going to be warm in the North East today. I may pull the back liftgate cover off that is isside and see what is going on.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Starry Night
Junior User

So I may have found the issue with my liftgate ajar. After looking at all part and checking how the system works nothing seems wrong with the motor to lock and unlock. The hatch goes up and down and locks the latch correctly, however I found an electric component that is located on the left side/drivers side of the lift gate that had corroded connections. I cleaned them up and I am no longer getting a liftgate ajar on the dash. Below are pictures of the part. My interior lights are still on even though all doors are close. The fun still continues.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Starry Night
Junior User
Well that didn't work, still lift gate ajar with interior lights on. I am thinking it is the liftgate latch as there is no door switch similar to the ones in each door as others described. The part is 6L7Z7843150-A. I will need to talk to the dealer about it prior to purchasing as it is $175.00. There are two micro switches that reside inside the latch lock that cannot be removed.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:01 PM
lincolnshibuya
Junior User
looking at your pic above, I think the ajar switch is that yellow connector with 2 red wires. I haven't tried this so do it at your own risk once you verified that it's indeed the ajar switch, just short the wires together (or use short jumper wire) to simulate that it's closed.

Facebook Post

Old 04-12-2017, 05:21 AM
Starry Night
Junior User
Lincolnshibuya,
I will have to give that a try. Thanks...

Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Starry Night
Well that didn't work, still lift gate ajar with interior lights on.
That is the liftgate chime module and liftgate lock actuator assembly. Here are the connector pinouts for both connectors.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C4185 Liftgate Lock Actuator.pdf (159.2 KB, 672 views)
File Type: pdf
C4186 Chime Module.pdf (181.7 KB, 469 views)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:27 AM
TheMechanicDom
New User
Any solution on your Problem? I have the same with my Nav and i´m not getting anywhere. Maybe you have fixed it?

Dom