1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 7.3 Lower EGT's.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:46 PM
BigNoseJoey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 7.3 Lower EGT's.

Looking for ways to lower my EGT. I only use my truck for pulling the toy hauler over the Rockies in Colorado. I just upgraded my camper and it throws the high EGT code way more then my smaller camper.(does anyone know what temp that happens?).

I run the super chip on tow safe mode only. I have the big *** 6637 air filter. The exhaust is stock.

Every time I drive I am towing over the rocky mountains. I am thinking about the 5" MBRP exhaust, They boast a 200 degree drop in EGT's.
I have no gauges so I will get some installed with the exhaust. Also rebuild turbo and replace boots.

Thinking about the water injection not for HP gain just for lower EGT temps.

Any other ideas ? Does the water injection work well ?

Old 02-07-2017, 11:08 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I used to do lots of towing with the 7.3. You NEED the egt gauge no matter what if running any tune/chip.
The full 4" down pipe with no cat was good for 50 egts on my gauge, and I remember that being the norm. The garret GTP 38R is said to save up to 200. Start with the downpipe, some gauges and you may need a different tune. With all of my tuned 7.3's I was fighting egt's. Garrett Turbo:
Garrett GTP38R PowerMax Ball Bearing Turbo Ford 7.3L

Old 02-08-2017, 12:02 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't know what the "high EGT code" is. It's not an OEM function so it depends entirely on your aftermarket setup. Without an actual EGT, it's open to interpretation what "high" means.

That being said, lowering EGT is a very "hot" topic. It's a topic that's near and dear to my own heart.

First and foremost, if you have any boost leaks or pre-turbo exhaust leaks, they will dramatically impact EGTs when towing. The reason is that those leaks add up to decreases in efficiency, and in order to make up for that you need more throttle. More fuel = higher EGTs. So I start by asking, do you have any leaks? Do you still have the stock CAC boots? They like to leak. Do you still have the stock up-pipes? They also like to leak. Do you still have the stock plenums? Guess what they like to do.

The stock injectors are geared more for daily driving and moderate towing. Injectors are like camshafts - they operate best in certain RPM ranges. Stock injectors aren't in their peak efficiency range when the engine is spinning 2500 RPMs going up a mountain pass pulling a 10k trailer. A set of well-chosen aftermarket injectors can lower EGTs by 100 degrees or more.

You can't just slap on a GTP38R turbo and expect it to cure all your problems. Same thing with injectors. A lot of these modifications work together. These are very complicated systems and critical components like injectors and turbos greatly influence how and how well other critical components function together.

There are also a myriad of aftermarket upgrades for stock systems - are you still running the stock transmission cooler? Stock in-tank fuel system? There are a lot of aftermarket upgrades in those areas that can dramatically improve reliability.

If you want a reliable tow rig of this era, it takes some effort. No way around that unless you want to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on a new truck.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:37 AM
BigNoseJoey
New User
Thanks for the replies.
Was looking at the Glowshift EGT gauge. Any suggestions on what gauges are of good quality.
Rain Desert thanks for the info on the chip. It never occurred to me that a tune could raise my EGT's. Once I get EGT gauge installed I will experiment from stock to tuned. I have no problem running a stock program if it keeps my EGT's lower. I have talk to some 7.3 owners that have blown pistons that could be heat related so keeping temps down is my priority. The big Mountains around here are tuff on towing.

AndyM, My "service engine light goes on and off when towing. When I read the thrown codes it is "High EGT's". I refer to that as throwing a code. Yes I still have the stock CAC boots. Do I get these from a dealer ? I don't know what they are but I am sure youtube has a video. How do I check or what is the fix for stock up pipes and plenums ? Everything is still original stock. Should I just order all that stuff from the dealer and replace or is there upgrades from some where? All that stuff is getting old so I would assume it leaks. I have plenty of time to work on the truck. I will also rebuild turbo with Wicked wheel up grade.

The exhaust is still the original and I have read a bigger exhaust helps the 7.3 run cooler so I am almost sold on this upgrade.

Thanks for all the input it is very helpful.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:12 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I tow with what my tuner calls a "Heavy tow tune". It's basically very close to stock to keep EGT down but uses their aftermarket transmission programming. I think the stock tranny shift points and overal performance are pretty terrible. I find it tows much better with the tuner than it does in stock mode.

Your truck doesn't have a factory EGT probe, so I don't know how it would be able to set a code. I can't explain that one. I would get a mechanical EGT gauge on your truck before towing again. They are not cheap, be warned. They are pretty easy to install though.

Don't get the boots from the dealer. Go check out (and bookmark) riffraffdiesel.com. They are a site supporter and they have a great reputation for quality aftermarket stuff, including CAC boots and clamps. I would also go aftermarket if your intake plenums are leaking. Not all are; but it is a known weak point. The up-pipe design was changed a few years ago and the ones they sell now are a one-time permanent fix to leaking up-pipes. You can tell if yours are leaking by looking at where the up-pipe comes into the turbo at the very back of the motor. Standing on the driver's side, you could see the soot build-up on my pipes. International pipes are about $400. A lot of people have used Dorman up-pipes and have been happy with the results. Again, don't go to the dealer for those things.

You can do a boost leak test to see if your intake is leaking at all. Do a search in here for more information on it. If your up-pipes are leaking it will be obvious once you know what to look for.

One of the very first things I did for my truck was get a stainless MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust. I didn't put the gauge in until after so I can't tell you how it affected EGT.

Intake is also very important. If you are still running the stock K&N filter, get it out of there ASAP. It lets a lot of dirt into the engine.

You should generally be using Ford parts, unless there is a better, cheaper, aftermarket alternative. If you don't know, search or ask. There are a ton of folks on here who know these motors in and out. There is definitely a learning curve if your background is gas engines.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:48 PM
BigNoseJoey
New User
I am wrong guys my truck does not throw a high EGT code. I just checked it and reprogrammed to stock. The check engine light would come on towing up a mountain and goes off coming down. I thought I checked the code years ago but I was wrong it is an ICP communication code probably do to the after market tune. Sorry for that confusion, memory going with age.

I just ordered a EGT gauge so I know exactly what my temps are.
Thanks again AndyM. I am going to look up a" Heavy tow tune". I don't like the way the truck performs stock but EGT does come first.

I am going to start checking for leaks while I wait for parts.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:56 PM
andym
Post Fiend
You wouldn't be able to download it. My tuner is a PHP Hydra, and you can load whatever tunes you want on it. I bought mine from Gearhead tunes as per a lot of recommendations here, and am very happy. I think it was $500 for the chip and the tunes as a package from Gearhead.

I don't know very much about the other tuners/chips/programmers available though.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 AM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an '02 F250 4x4 and I put a set of Banks boost and pyro gauges on it before I did anything to it. I installed a BD 60 hp/110 lbs.ft. torque tow chip in and that really woke the horse up. I then bought a 3.5" down pipe (tight in there) and built my own 4" exhaust with an ebay bought 4" in/out straight through muffler.

The muff was very high quality heavy duty aluminized unit and lasted 14 yrs until I sold the truck. If you haven't done so already and I highly recommend installing a larger trans cooler, the stock one is about the size of a power steering cooler. I found out the hard way towing my 5th wheel back from Grand Junction to So. Utah. Everyone said to use a 6.0 cooler but I couldn't find one for a decent price so I used a huge aftermarket unit and installed a REAL trans temp gauge. That really kept the trans cooled down. Good luck on your mods.