Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels & Tires How-Tos
Print Wikipost

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2003, 08:26 PM
New User

MadRabbits is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Dull thumping noise

I'm stumped as to what the root cause of the dull thumping noise coming from the front end of my 1997 Ford Explorer XL...

For anyone that can help, here is what I know..

The noise is a dull thump, like a heavy gauge piece of steel under pressure being smacked with a hammer. It thumps with every rotation of the front wheels. It does not matter if I am in neutrul or drive nor if the 4 wheel drive is engaged. If I jack it up and spin the wheels by hand there is no unusual sound. The only thing I've really done is a visual on the front end and everything looks good.

I'm guessing it's a bearing problem because it only happens under pressure but I'm not swapping out a hub without someone else's opion first.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HELP ME!!!!!

Last edited by MadRabbits; 08-28-2003 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:42 PM
Junior User

RYR88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dull thumping noise

I'm not very experienced with Explorers, but from my experience with other vehicles, the noise can be caused by a bearing problem, like the front differential going out. However, I had a similar noise on my Grand Cherokee and it ended up just being the front swaybars needing replacement from having a 3" suspension lift. Anyway, does the noise change with an increase in speed at all or when gradually slowing down? How many miles are on your Explorer? Good luck finding a solution to the problem.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:44 PM
Senior User

GR8Diesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dull thumping noise

try moving tires from front to rear, a broken tire can cause this problem.

My handle shows my bias of powerplant technology

99 Expedition 5.4/3.55 LS (plan to replace with SD-PSD) & 95 Mercury Mystique 2.5L/v6
Old 08-29-2003, 06:50 AM
New User

Dull thumping noise

Thank you both. My Explorer has 70,000 miles on it. I did try replacing both front tires with the spare the other day and the noise did not go away or change location.... And to bad for me, my base model Exlplorer doesn't come w/ sway bars....

Last edited by MadRabbits; 08-29-2003 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Senior User

drcoffee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dull thumping noise

a graoning or grinding would be a bearing failure. Look at the CV / U joints(there are a few to inspect). It sounds like a clunk or lugging sound and should increase with speed.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:22 PM
New User

Dull thumping noise

Sounds about right, is there any way to insepct them visualy. Obviously the CV's would need the boots pulled but I did a visual on the U joints and couldn't see anything wrong, no play and what not...
Old 08-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Senior User

Dull thumping noise

Years back I had a thumping sound right before the U joint let loose. Next thing I heard was the drive shaft wacking the floor of the Blazer(1981 I think). I really could not tell you how to inspect it but it needs to be seen by a mechanic.

Good luck
Old 08-29-2003, 10:05 PM
New User

Dull thumping noise

Hey, thanks again. I was afraid you'd say that. But I figured from the start that's where I was heading. I do a lot of work on cars but 4x4's are not my thing. I'll let you know what happens in case anyone else comes into this problem...
Old 08-30-2003, 08:50 PM
New User

Dull thumping noise

Well, we can all be fooled... I swapped out each front tire w/ the spare and the noise never went away. Today after looking at it for a while and finding no trouble I sent both front tires to the rear end and went for a ride. The noise went with it. Turns out both of my tires have bad belts. Now it's back to NTB before the warranty expires... Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help...

Larry...

Hey, got a Volkswagen??? I'll help you out at:

WWW.BENTLEYPUBLISHERS.COM
Old 08-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Senior User

Dull thumping noise

Sometimes we're looking for Zebras, when we should be looking for horses.

Sounds like a cheap fix.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:23 PM
New User

ps101851 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dull thumping noise

for what it's worth...
I've got a '97 XLT with the same problem and after noticing BAD tire cupping on the front tires I installed new Gabriel shocks (this was last July). After a new set of tires (now with 17K miles) the noise/rumble is back. I just ordered a new set of Bilsteins for the front because the Gabriels were shot after 25K miles, and I don't do any off-roading. Car now has 115K and all in all has been pretty reliable.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:49 AM
New User

Dull thumping noise

That's worth a bunch, the folks at NTB sited some cupping on the tires, they could not find any other tire trouble. The ride on my "Exploder" is getting a bit rough and new shocks are in it's future. Gabriel, well you get what pay for. Bilstien, same thing. They are the mother of all shocks and a wise investment.

Thanks for you input..

Larry...
Old 09-02-2003, 12:49 AM