1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Got brakes done, now transmission shifts hard. LOL

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 11:59 AM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Got brakes done, now transmission shifts hard. LOL

1994 E-150 club wagon 5.8 E4OD Trans. Had the front brakes, new rotors, new front bearings installed by a reputable mechanic that the company I work for has been using for a long time. When I got my van back, It now has a very hard shift from 1st to 2nd and it definately was not doing that before. I know there is no correlation between the work that was done and the transmission. I dont know if I should even bother calling him or just chalk it up to coincidence? The trans was rebuilt about 13 years ago and I have not had transmission service since then. My question is, Should I bother having the trans. fluid changed/flushed? I have read that that will not help with a hard shift and it could cause damage due to the way the flushing is done with some new equipment. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:35 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NICKSAN
I have read that that will not help with a hard shift and it could cause damage due to the way the flushing is done with some new equipment. Thanks.
complete BS

True

Old 02-05-2017, 01:42 PM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by vettex2
complete BS

True
Elaborate Please... A flush can help with hard shifting? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:28 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
wondering if the brakes could be dragging?
Does it shift hard right from the start the first time you drive the van for the day or after it has been driven a little? Thinking maybe they are dragging but not right at first.
Maybe go around the van and feel of the wheel hubs after you have been driving the van for a little and see if any of them are hot.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 960 Likes on 760 Posts
Anything strange happening with the speedo/ODO? The PCM is programmed to jack trans line pressure which causes firm-late shifts whenever is loses contact with one of the major input sensors of which speed is near the top of the list. The TPS is also on that list so I suggest you pull codes to see what has been flagged.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:55 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Elaborate Please... A flush can help with hard shifting? Thanks.
no , it won't
red = red
black = black
for the answers

Old 02-05-2017, 07:26 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
A flush can help with shifts, that is if the valve body has picked up trash and is sticking BUT if it had high miles and has never been serviced in the past you risk washing out the loose sediment that is circulating, keeping it going.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
no , it won't
red = red
black = black
for the answers
dont discriminate against the colorblind (me,lol)

i found it it very difficult to distinguish the red and black from each other.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:43 PM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
no , it won't
red = red
black = black
for the answers
Yea, I figured that out after I posted, LOL. Ill check for brakes dragging. CEL is not on, and it does work. TPS and ICM have been replaced about a year and a half ago. The trans was rebuilt approx. 13 years ago. I am debating weather to spend the money on flush/fluid change ?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First, check the Over Drive switch on the end of the gear sector.
See if it lights up, turning OD off, and see how it shifts.

Could be the bulb burned out, and some other driver *mechanic* hit the switch, turning OD off with out you knowing it. With OD off, the shifting points are a lot higher with the E4OD.

Does this van, '94 club wagon, have 4WABS?? or just rear ABS??

Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 PM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Wildman25
First, check the Over Drive switch on the end of the gear sector.
See if it lights up, turning OD off, and see how it shifts.

Could be the bulb burned out, and some other driver *mechanic* hit the switch, turning OD off with out you knowing it. With OD off, the shifting points are a lot higher with the E4OD.

Does this van, '94 club wagon, have 4WABS?? or just rear ABS??
The light does work but off and on, the switch may be broken because the end of the shift *** comes out but the wires are still connected. Its been like that for a long time. I can tell when the overdrive is off and on while driving. The abs does not work, I dont know if its rear ABS only but the ABS light has been blinking for years. thanks.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by maples01
A flush can help with shifts, that is if the valve body has picked up trash and is sticking BUT if it had high miles and has never been serviced in the past you risk washing out the loose sediment that is circulating, keeping it going.
That's a bunch of bull. It isn't true.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:57 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by maples01
alternative fact?

it flat out is not true but yet this falsehood persists

Old 02-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The light does work but off and on, the switch may be broken because the end of the shift *** comes out but the wires are still connected. Its been like that for a long time. I can tell when the overdrive is off and on while driving. The abs does not work, I dont know if its rear ABS only but the ABS light has been blinking for years. thanks.
Yea, you should be able to tell if the OD is on or off, just driving.

Club wagon should be 4w ABS, reason I asked is the wheel sensors in the front wheels, and the speed sensor in the rear axle pay a part in the ECU for shifting points for the E4OD.

Does the speedometer bounce around while your driving?? That would show as a bad rear speed sensor, affection sensor input to the ECU.

Another thought, pull the dog house, there a connector from the engine to the transmission right there, check the wiring and the connector for corrosion.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:01 AM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
No, the speedometer works fine.
In the last week the hard shifting has settled down a bit, it still does it but nowhere near as hard as it was after the few days after the brakes were done.
I wonder if when they disconnected the battery, if that reset the computer or something?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Got brakes done, now transmission shifts hard. LOL