2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trucks built the week of 6 February

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 17450KR
John,

See post #1198. Several pics there.
thanks, I can't get enough 450 pics, lol...

Old 03-23-2017, 06:01 PM
grampscamper
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today I finally got a chance to install my hitch and hookup our 5th wheel. I'm a little nose high with about 5.5" clearance to the tonneau side rails. The storage lot is a little uneven but it looks like I may be 1-1/2" nose high. I sagged enough that it was just starting to sit on the helpers. Once the weather improves a little I'll do some more testing. Love the high mount camera. Sure makes hooking up much easier.
I decided to take my truck through a touchless car wash. It went well except it broke my hood deflector. The vacuum had so much force it snapped off one of the plastic clips. I don't normally use a car wash but it's just too cold to turn on my outside water yet. I'm thinking I may just leave the hood deflector off and see what happens. I just thought it would prevent some stone chips along the leading edge of the hood. I just got my Tufskinz letters today. I planned to install them on the hood deflector. Glad they weren't already installed. They may go directly on the hood now.
Bob

Old 03-23-2017, 06:39 PM
klassic
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
All you hooked up specs sound exactly like mine Bob.
Are you comparing your camera quality to your old back up cam?

Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 PM
grampscamper
Elder User
Originally Posted by klassic
All you hooked up specs sound exactly like mine Bob.
Are you comparing your camera quality to your old back up cam?
I think a little off level is okay but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with 5.5" clearance. If I raise the hitch 1" I'll be 2.5" nose high. I may have to lift the 5th wheel. With the front air conditioner I'm already over 13' high. I'd prefer not to go this route.
I don't think the camera is as clear as my last truck but it does the job. It's sure nice to have the high mount camera for the 5th wheel.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Bob,

I'm really surprised by what you're reporting, given where my rig ended up. What was your clearance and how were you on level with the last truck? My suggestion would be to hold off until you can check it all out in a level paved parking lot somewhere.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 PM
klassic
Tuned
I have exactly 6" clearance (no cover)

I'm already over 13', I'll go to 13'5 tops.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:13 PM
klassic
Tuned
Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
Bob,

I'm really surprised by what you're reporting, given where my rig ended up. What was your clearance and how were you on level with the last truck? My suggestion would be to hold off until you can check it all out in a level paved parking lot somewhere.
Not surprising. I am identical to his findings.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 PM
grampscamper
Elder User
I think the truck sits about 1-1/2" higher than my last truck. Keep in mind I went from a F250 to a F350. My F250 did have the camper package (350 springs). I think I may be at 13'1" so a couple of inches wouldn't be a problem.
I may run with this setup for now and see how it works.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:32 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Our Spartan 5ver from the factory is 13'3". Since it's a toy hauler, the roof sits level front to back and both AC units are at the same height.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:36 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 17450KR
Hey Guys! I've been off the net for almost two weeks...exploring Oregon and Northern California with wife and son.

First...CONGRATS to all that have taken delivery...more beautiful trucks roaming the roads!

Second...Steve, the trailer/truck combo looks great! Still waiting for my trailer to be delivered, I will certainly post pics when that happens. Hopefully, within the next month.

Third...my truck had a couple of "delivery issues" so I dropped at the dealer before I left on our trip and picked it up when we got back:
1) Driver's door was scratched during transport. Repainted...looks perfect.
2) Passenger front door would not close flush. Adjusted...looks perfect.
3) Rear bumper was slightly out of alignment. Adjusted...looks perfect.
4) Driver's side power step had a loud growl when opening. Dealer replaced motor...works perfect.

Fourth...Finally got my rear mud flaps installed. These are Dura-Flaps and at half the cost of Gators, decided to give them a try. They are no-drill and the holes in the flaps come pre-drilled and only took about 20 minutes per side to install. I liked the ribbed inside of the flap to direct the water down. They are not as sexy looking as the Gators, we'll see how they hold up.

Now, with only 300 miles on the truck I'm trying to find every excuse possible to go for a drive!
Virgil, I meant to respond to this post sooner, but spaced it. I'm noticing that happening a lot more often. Sorry you had those issues, but very happy the dealer resolved all so quickly and to your satisfaction.

We've really gone over my truck with a fine tooth comb and I have to say we've not turned up any issues as yet, knock on wood. I'm just over 900 miles at this point. You probably saw my post about out trip into the mountains last weekend. So far, we are very pleased.

My mud flaps have shipped and are scheduled for delivery Monday, so that will be another project.

I have our Spartan sitting in our driveway now with the belly cover coroplast dropped off. I'm installing Barker electric actuators on the four holding tank valves. They were cable operated remotely, but worked very hard and didn't seem to close securely, resulting in unwanted discharges when hooking up. UUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!! While under there, I'm also redoing some of the wiring I found that is not up to my standards.

My wife also wanted the bathroom faucets replaced which resulted in the need to replace sinks as well. Long story. Anyway, we're working away at getting everything done and ready to go as soon as we return from a Caribbean trip in April.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:23 PM
grampscamper
Elder User
I decided to order the Tufskinz letters for the front and rear of my truck. They arrived yesterday & I installed them today. They look amazing. You guys keep costing me money when your post pictures.
I have an appointment for Monday to have paint film protection installed on the hood and front fenders. They're doing the first 18" as well as a few inches of roof above the windshield. I believe they use Xpel film.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:32 PM
grampscamper
Elder User
Virgil, I meant to respond to this post sooner, but spaced it. I'm noticing that happening a lot more often. Sorry you had those issues, but very happy the dealer resolved all so quickly and to your satisfaction.

We've really gone over my truck with a fine tooth comb and I have to say we've not turned up any issues as yet, knock on wood. I'm just over 900 miles at this point. You probably saw my post about out trip into the mountains last weekend. So far, we are very pleased.

My mud flaps have shipped and are scheduled for delivery Monday, so that will be another project.

I have our Spartan sitting in our driveway now with the belly cover coroplast dropped off. I'm installing Barker electric actuators on the four holding tank valves. They were cable operated remotely, but worked very hard and didn't seem to close securely, resulting in unwanted discharges when hooking up. UUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!! While under there, I'm also redoing some of the wiring I found that is not up to my standards.

My wife also wanted the bathroom faucets replaced which resulted in the need to replace sinks as well. Long story. Anyway, we're working away at getting everything done and ready to go as soon as we return from a Caribbean trip in April.
Steve, when we picked up our last trailer we decided to stay at a local campground for three days to test everything. When we were ready to leave I removed the cap to drain the tanks and got an unwanted shower. The dealer left the grey tank valve open and I didn't notice. I'm thankful it wasn't the black tank.
Bob

Old 03-24-2017, 02:32 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by grampscamper
I decided to order the Tufskinz letters for the front and rear of my truck. They arrived yesterday & I installed them today. They look amazing. You guys keep costing me money when your post pictures.
I have an appointment for Monday to have paint film protection installed on the hood and front fenders. They're doing the first 18" as well as a few inches of roof above the windshield. I believe they use Xpel film.
Bob,

Those letters really look amazing on your truck. You really picked the right finish. A very nice finishing touch. As my wife said, this looks like something Ford should have done to begin with. Incidentally, I had the clear bra installed on my hood front as well. They did it before I applied the lettering and I was concerned about how the letters would adhere afterword. It turn out, the clear bra has a "cut out" area just around where the lettering depressions are on the from t of the hood. So it worked out perfectly.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:35 PM
grampscamper
Elder User
Bob,

Those letters really look amazing on your truck. You really picked the right finish. A very nice finishing touch. As my wife said, this looks like something Ford should have done to begin with. Incidentally, I had the clear bra installed on my hood front as well. They did it before I applied the lettering and I was concerned about how the letters would adhere afterword. It turn out, the clear bra has a "cut out" area just around where the lettering depressions are on the from t of the hood. So it worked out perfectly.
I asked them if I should wait to install them or do it before. They said before is OK because the letters would be cut out as you said. They said the Tufskinz letters would protect the area where there won't be film.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:42 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by grampscamper
Steve, when we picked up our last trailer we decided to stay at a local campground for three days to test everything. When we were ready to leave I removed the cap to drain the tanks and got an unwanted shower. The dealer left the grey tank valve open and I didn't notice. I'm thankful it wasn't the black tank.
Bob
What triggered my electric valve project was similar, but worse. The front black water valve (master bath) would not close completely, no matter what I tried. It had about a ten foot cable control on it and no matter how much I flushed and thought I had the tank empty, every time we would get to the next campsite to hook up, I would get a volatile brown disgusting explosion out the drain. I said that is enough. These electric valves are obviously subject to failure as well at some point, but they look to me like a significant improvement for now. Time will tell.

Also, the rear grey and black water tanks had cable controls with handles up in behind the rear tire. I had to kneel down and reach in blindly to get to them and it was very difficult when the slide out was extended. Now, I will have all four valves controlled up front with a switch and status indicator light. I'll post pics when the project is finished.

Quick Reply: Trucks built the week of 6 February