Route Yellowstone to Glacier

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Route Yellowstone to Glacier

Having no experience in the West, recommendations for route from Yellowstone to Glacier? We are in Yellowstone in late June and Glacier two weeks later.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 02-04-2017, 09:22 AM
rockertom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Having no experience in the West, recommendations for route from Yellowstone to Glacier? We are in Yellowstone in late June and Glacier two weeks later.

Thanks,

Steve
Don't know the answer to that. But I am jelous of you're trip. Post pic's and enjoy it.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
We're planning on doing Glacier this summer. Not sure when. When we did Yellowstone we still resided in AZ, so can't help you on route from there. Are you on the east, or west side of Yellowstone?

Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Man, you better make reservations like now! We are coming into Yellowstone from the south staying in Grant's campground. Not sure yet if we will tow our fiver or use a truck camper.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:13 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Steve,
There are a number of ways you could go through Yellowstone National Park up through to Montana and then in Glacier and all of them are scenic. I live here in Wyoming and the scenery is beautiful on the western part of the state, as it is in Western Montana. I cannot say there is one best way to go as my personal preference would be to stay off the interstates once you get into Montana and opt for the secondary highways.
Also, I would not want to pull a fifth wheel through Yellowstone although many people do it. To me, it limits where you can just pull off and take short hikes to see the sites.
That being said, you may want to check where you will be camping as I do know some of the places in YNP do not allow pop up trailers because of the grizzly bear population. A pop up truck camper may be different but I would check that out with the park before you go if you will be taking your truck and pop up camper.
Personally, I would take my truck camper because of the flexibility it will give you to take roads less traveled and be much less stressful while you are in park fighting all the tourists. I know you have your trip already planned but the best time to see the park and that country is before schools lets out (sometime in May) and after school starts (mid to late September).

Old 02-04-2017, 05:21 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Thanks,

At this point I think we are set on the truck camper. We are staying off the Interstates as much as possible.

What's it like coming out of Yellowstone on the east side through the Beartooths to Cody, if we are in the truck camper? Read a lot of horror stories about that route.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:27 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Steve, that is one highway I have not been on but have a lot of friends who have. In your truck camper it will be no problem. I know the highest elevation is just under 11,000 feet. My friends who have been on it said it is some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see. I would definitely think if you are up in that country it would be a route to definitely take.
If you are a history buff, gun guy etc. you should go into Cody and spend some time at the Buffalo Bill Museum. You could spend two days just at the museum if you are really into western history, American Indian history, western art and firearms. It is really something to not miss when you are out this way.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:16 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
I took that route when I rented a Class C a few years ago and it wasn't a problem at all and as WyoBull said some great scenery. But then a trip through Yellowstone and Glacier will be a fantastic trip. Then there will be the secondary show in Yellowstone of the visitors getting to close to the wild life for a pic and you'll be waiting for the animal to turn on them and have their way.

When you get to Glacier NP if you don't know it already make sure you get to the "Many Glacier" entrance from Babb on the east side of the park. We saw a dozen Grizzle bears and a few Black bears on the slopes there. Didn't see any in the main part of the park "going to the sun rd." Time of the year might make a difference though.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:48 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
We are looking forward to the trip, but have to admit your "mountains" are a little more foreboding than our mountains. And finding space in the National Park Campgrounds is crazy. I watch the videos on Grant's Village and the Canyon where we have reservations and those are sure not what we call campgrounds around here. We know we are dry camping and am not worried about that, but those sure are a lot of tiny spaces!

We are coming into Glacier on the east side. Our plan is to do Alaska next year so I will be looking forward to hearing what folks have to say about that trip.

Some of the things I bounce around in my head is my 7.3 is low miles, but still an old truck, should I invest in a new 6.2 before the trip? What if we break down in the middle of nowhere? Where are all the people? There aren't many cities. What if after we cross the Mississippi, we fall off the earth? That sort of stuff.

Steve

Old 02-05-2017, 03:05 PM
49f68canadian
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is still more driving to do after crossing the Mississippi. We are planning a trip to Alaska the end of May and I upgraded my 2003 F350 for your same concerns. I went a little extreme but now can drive along distance between fuel stops and road concerns.

Not a Ford but a nice ride!

Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM
49f68canadian
Senior User
Going to the Sun road has many restrictions on size and length as is very narrow and winding. Great views though, Marias pass from East Glacier through to West glacier is useable by campers and longer units

Old 02-05-2017, 03:22 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 49f68canadian
There is still more driving to do after crossing the Mississippi. We are planning a trip to Alaska the end of May and I upgraded my 2003 F350 for your same concerns. I went a little extreme but now can drive along distance between fuel stops and road concerns.

Not a Ford but a nice ride!
I would like to know what you would call "very extreme"!

Steve

Old 02-05-2017, 03:33 PM
49f68canadian
Senior User
That would be a 42' + toy hauler unit on the back instead of a 34'.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:22 AM
Optimistic Paranoid
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
We're planning on doing Glacier this summer. Not sure when.
If you're going to be up in that neck of the woods this summer, do you know about the solar eclipse August 21st?

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Path Through the United States

Old 02-06-2017, 11:02 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Originally Posted by Optimistic Paranoid
If you're going to be up in that neck of the woods this summer, do you know about the solar eclipse August 21st?

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Path Through the United States
Thanks for the heads up on the eclipse, now we'll have to work this in to the travel for one of the totality areas. I vaguely remember seeing the one 26 years ago in NY at the Erie county fair.

Quick Reply: Route Yellowstone to Glacier