Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm back...with a 1990 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Short Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 03:16 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm back...with a 1990 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Short Box

Hey guys, some of you may remember me, some of y'all might be new, but I am back.

On Monday, I'm picking up a beautiful 1990 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Short Box (Impossible to find around here) with a 5.0L and a 4 sp W/OD manual transmission. Guy is selling it for $1200, which I feel is fair, so I told him I'll give him that much. He's done a lot of work on it and has receipts for it, like: New rear main seal
New spark plugs and spark plug wires
New brake master cylinder
New clutch master slave cylinders
New throwout bearing
New U-Joints
New stereo & speakers
New seat cover
New shifter boot

Comes with an extra set of wheels too. Do these trucks take P sized tires?

Here are some pics.

He says the only issue is a bad front U-Joint which shouldn't cost too much to fix.

Let me know what you think!

Old 02-03-2017, 03:36 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,074 Posts
That looks like a M5R2 shifter so it's a 5 speed trans? What is the trans code on the sticker? While your there it will tell you the stock tire size. Mine takes p metric tires in an XL weight load rating.

What happened to the diesel truck?

Old 02-03-2017, 03:41 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
That looks like a M5R2 shifter so it's a 5 speed trans? What is the trans code on the sticker? While your there it will tell you the stock tire size. Mine takes p metric tires in an XL weight load rating.

What happened to the diesel truck?
Ha, it broke down in some guys driveway.

It was definitely a 4SP with overdrive, so...

Old 02-03-2017, 03:55 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
So.....you shift into overdrive after 4th gear? Then it's a 5 speed.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:02 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"p" means passenger, as opposed to "lt" which stands for light truck. you can use them on your truck, but dont expect them to handle the load that a truck tire will.
likewise, this truck is a different animal than what you had. i don't recall whether you are ever hauling heavy, but this truck won't handle nearly the load that your previous one would.
having said all that, a running 4x4 in decent shape, with receipts for work done, is worth every penny of the $1200 that you paid for it.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:46 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by joey2fords
"p" means passenger, as opposed to "lt" which stands for light truck. you can use them on your truck, but dont expect them to handle the load that a truck tire will.
likewise, this truck is a different animal than what you had. i don't recall whether you are ever hauling heavy, but this truck won't handle nearly the load that your previous one would.
having said all that, a running 4x4 in decent shape, with receipts for work done, is worth every penny of the $1200 that you paid for it.
I never tow or nothing with it. Never have, probably won't. I just know 6 ply is way cheaper than 10 ply, but I'm not sure they make aggressive 6 ply tires.

It only has one spot of rust over the rear fender, so I figured I should snap this up while it's available.

So.....you shift into overdrive after 4th gear? Then it's a 5 speed.
Isn't it semantics? Like, don't most people call them 4 SP with overdrive and not 5 speeds? Or is that not a thing? Would a 4speed with over drive be 1-2-3-OD?

Old 02-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
I never tow or nothing with it. Never have, probably won't. I just know 6 ply is way cheaper than 10 ply, but I'm not sure they make aggressive 6 ply tires.
P series tires will probably be load range B (equivalent to the old 4 ply rating). LT series will probably be load range C (equivalent to 6 ply rating). Either will work, LT will be a little tougher and handle 1/2 ton loads better. That's what likely would have come on it originally.

And yes, you'll probably only find all-season tires in P series. If you want all-terrains or even more aggressaive you'll likely need to go with LTs (but they'll be load range C).

You won't find many (if any) load range E (10 ply rating) tires for a 15" rim. That starts with 16" on 3/4 tons.

Isn't it semantics? Like, don't most people call them 4 SP with overdrive and not 5 speeds? Or is that not a thing? Would a 4speed with over drive be 1-2-3-OD?
I've never heard "4 speed with overdrive" since the "5 speeds" came out (the Mazda trans in half tons was called "M5OD-R2" and the ZF was called "M5OD-HD" by Ford, for Manual 5 speed with OverDrive). I remember hearing about 4 speed overdrives back in the '80s. I'm not sure, but I think those had 4 forward gears, with 3rd being 1:1 and 4th being overdrive.

And for what it's worth, the ZF6 in the '08 F-250 I had was marked "L-1-2-3-4-OD", but it was still a 6 speed.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:46 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
P series tires will probably be load range B (equivalent to the old 4 ply rating). LT series will probably be load range C (equivalent to 6 ply rating). Either will work, LT will be a little tougher and handle 1/2 ton loads better. That's what likely would have come on it originally.

And yes, you'll probably only find all-season tires in P series. If you want all-terrains or even more aggressaive you'll likely need to go with LTs (but they'll be load range C).

You won't find many (if any) load range E (10 ply rating) tires for a 15" rim. That starts with 16" on 3/4 tons.I've never heard "4 speed with overdrive" since the "5 speeds" came out (the Mazda trans in half tons was called "M5OD-R2" and the ZF was called "M5OD-HD" by Ford, for Manual 5 speed with OverDrive). I remember hearing about 4 speed overdrives back in the '80s. I'm not sure, but I think those had 4 forward gears, with 3rd being 1:1 and 4th being overdrive.
I'll have to find some retreads for it. (that's what I run on my 3/4 Ton.)

Old 02-03-2017, 10:38 PM
seagiant
Senior User
Hi,
I've got a 89 F-150 2WD 4.9L I-6 with a Mazda M5OD 5 speed (probably what you have)

You stole that truck!

The only down side is the 4x4 (to me) but maybe you can use it?

It will get good gas mileage if kept up, and they are easy to work on, and parts are "cheap"!!!

Old 02-03-2017, 10:46 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by seagiant
Hi,
I've got a 89 F-150 2WD 4.9L I-6 with a Mazda M5OD 5 speed (probably what you have)

You stole that truck!

The only down side is the 4x4 (to me) but maybe you can use it?

It will get good gas mileage if kept up, and they are easy to work on, and parts are "cheap"!!!
What do you mean I stole it? Haha.

I wish mine had the I6!

The 4X4 can be used. PO says it jumps so he only uses the 4X4 when needed.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:35 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
I wonder what he meant by "it jumps"? The system is not intended to be used on dry roads and damage to the system will happen if used that way. It was probably binding up causing it to "jump".

Old 02-04-2017, 09:45 AM
seagiant
Senior User
What do you mean I stole it? Haha.

I wish mine had the I6!

The 4X4 can be used. PO says it jumps so he only uses the 4X4 when needed.
Hi,
Well....You won't buy my 89 XLT Larait, single cab, short bed, for $1200!!!!

Old 02-04-2017, 03:14 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
I wonder what he meant by "it jumps"? The system is not intended to be used on dry roads and damage to the system will happen if used that way. It was probably binding up causing it to "jump".
He said he thinks it's the front U-Joint.

Originally Posted by seagiant
Hi,
Well....You won't buy my 89 XLT Larait, single cab, short bed, for $1200!!!!
Well how much do you want, damn it!

Do the oil pans on these things ever leak? He said his does. I'm assuming if that's what it is, it's as simple as buying a new oil pan and gasket?

Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
the plot thickens ...
now it needs some sort of repair on the 4x4 and has a leaking oil pan ?
(a leaking intake manifold gasket can be mis-diagnosed as a leaking oil pan gasket; don't ask me how i know).
if i remember correctly, you are a) a student and b) doing little, if any of your own repair work ... please correct me if i am wrong, but it sounds like you may be moving from 1 money pit to another. not casting judgement here, just trying to be helpful. if i am correct on a & b, i can't help but wonder if you might not be better off with a 4cyl. ranger/s10/honda .

Old 02-04-2017, 04:39 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Repairing the oil pan leak might be as 'simple' as replacing the gasket. No need to replace the oil pan unless that is what is leaking due to pinholes from rust. Getting the pan out is the hard part. It could also be the valve cover gaskets. You really need to clean off the engine and see where is is leaking from or just start at the top and replace what is leaking first.

Don't skip on tires. They are pretty important to you and the people around you. I haul a load of firewood in my truck with P235/75R15 XL tires and the sidewalks hardly buldge from the weight.

Quick Reply: I'm back...with a 1990 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Short Box