1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What are the merits of staying stock / original?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
If you have a desire to keep your truck "as Henry built it" then there is no greater "merit" to keeping it stock. That said, the number of people who share that mindset is low. I have seen meticulously restored stock trucks bring less money than trucks that have had less in the way of restoration and more in the way of modern improvements. It is what you want that will decide the merit of your decision.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
My decision was pretty simple to keep stock. As with Abe's truck, mine was an unmolested family heirloom. Not that I didn't consider Darkside or Ratrod. Just that thought alone shows how much I love them all. It is definitely an individual decision. This being my first restore, is my learning project. As I take each bolt/nut off and scrape/clean every square inch of the Truck it makes me appreciate all the projects that you guys do. As with Joe, I do not at this time, have the skills or knowledge that you guys have, but I'm a learn'n. I kind of look at it this way, the more Trucks that go Darkside, Modified, or Ratrod makes my Truck all that more special. If I want to get somewhere fast and comfy I will jump in my 2012 F150.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Abe, I hadn't realized your '54 was so modified.
I think Stock and original are two different things as well. My truck has 4.88 gears and some day I might change those out for something a little lower. I currently have no use for 1st gear. I'm in 4th by 25 mph and 45-50 is comfortable cruising speed.

I agree with the cheaper and easier statement from Abe for stock. Some things can be challenging to find, but mostly because I have an F-250. I go to the local parts store for a lot of parts. I have an exploded diagram of about every part of my truck. I would get confused remembering what vehicle each part came from on using different parts.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:17 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Excellent question up for discussion, here. I believe you've received some good response.
My quick answer is not meant to **** anyone off but it may be controversial. I've played with collector vehicles for many years and have judged T birds to the international judging standards, based on the vehicle as it came fome the factory. My value beliefs were influenced at this time. I do not see truck values as that much different. The farther you get from stock appearance, the less desirable the truck becomes. A truck with a chopped top and or sitting on the ground is in my opinion, just wrong. I see some trucks irreversibly modified to the point of being impractical. IMO, this type modification devalues the truck.
When a truck is modified to change the design lines and classic looks, it becomes a work of art, subject to the likes of the builder. This artwork may not appeal to everyone, therefore limiting the buyers of this art. On the other side, a limited number of people will like said artwork and pay big dollars for it but the pool of ready buyers becomes smaller.
Let's face it, these old trucks are not highway friendly in stock form. A constant subject of discussion here is speed and safety related. IMO, a well designed and quality implemented driveability modification is usually acceptable and in many cases add to the value of the truck.
With Blue, my 1949 F4, I wanted a truck that represented a working truck of the era but something that could be driven at road speeds with comfort and reliability. The original mechanical condition of the truck mandated much work be done. The running gear is now more modern but the outside appearance of the truck remains stock. I am pleased.
If I had a stock appearing truck such as the OP, I would think long and hard before changing any appearance thereof.
Edit: I do appreciate the skills and work involved in some of these truck with highly modified looks but that does not mean I like the result. All good.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great responses - keep them coming!

The response to this thread has been great. Thanks, everyone. I hope others will offer additional responses.

In these responses I have come to a clearer understanding of my own position on the stock vs modifications issue. Doing modifications takes time, tools, talents, skills, knowledge and finance that I do not possess. With a 12 volt system with a Y-Block engine, my old truck is reasonably suited for modern driving and my use of it is occasional for pleasure and for light duty. So stock it will remain. Maintenance rather than modification is more within the scope of my talent set. I am also feeling reduced shame for my limited talents.

Most interesting from the discussion so far has been the descriptors of the philosophy with "Dark side" and "enlightenment" both used for "builders." It is also interesting to see desire and appreciation for stock trucks and restro-mod trucks in the same camp and that some enthusiasts actually have both.

The discussion on restomod projects getting bogged down and abandoned is also interesting especially the part about even the very talented and ambitious sometimes throwing in the towel. I have also heard discussions on the auction TV shows about sales decisions being made because so much time, energy, and emotion went into a perfectionist build that owners could not bear to drive them. I can easily see that happening. And the often used sales talking point that much greater expense has gone into a vehicle than the asking price is often quite true.

Finally I am pleased to learn that some other owners link their tendencies for "original" to days-gone-by experience of having driven these trucks in our youthful days. And I am also a retired teacher (Computer Science / History / Apps, Psychology , Sociology, US and World History) and I too like the "functional museum" element of an original truck.

Again, thanks for the robust response. I hope others will add their two cents to the discussion.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Abe, I hadn't realized your '54 was so modified.
Yes, I have come out of the darkside closet! My '54 has a interior dome light when my truck did not have one originally, I have an ABS firewall pad, and a tranny from a later model truck! Oops, and I almost forgot, I have a spin on oil filter adapter! But I still do not have a passenger side sunvisor! LOL

Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
I'm a teacher as well--History among other things.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:50 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I love the look and styling of old vehicles. I love the power, handling, and comfort of newer vehicles, so I combine them. For me it is the best of both worlds.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:58 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The old F3 had a cracked block, frozen rear brakes, critter infested interior and a rusted out bed. Pretty typical for a rust belt 50 + year old truck. Cost to replace 'original' wasn't in the budget if I wanted to sleep in the house! I also decided I wanted to feel safe if my wife, daughter or mutts were riding with me. So I went with a 5.0 and a 9 inch rear and disk brakes all the way around but all FORD. The front end was a Jag but Ford owned them. The interior had bucket seats with seat belts. The looks of the body were all 'original'. If you saw it driving down the road it look original. If you didn't look inside or lift the hood you couldn't tell it wasn't original.
The beast is original. Came out of a barn after being stored very well for 42 years. Buffed the paint out, cleaned out hundreds of moth *****, rebuilt the engine as seals were all dried out, rebuilt the trans as one gear missing a tooth (reason they parked it) new wiring as old was cracked. I was asked to put it in the new 'Survivor' class at the Lexington concours. As I felt it is no longer a survivor after rebuilding everything I said no. I should have done it as it would have been the most original car in the class. Beautiful original looking rebuilt cars that in no way were survivors or not restored interiors, engines, bodies or paint. So what is original? Looks? Nothing rebuilt? Nothing fixed so it runs. I think that is an individual option. As long as you like it, it doesn't hurt anyone else and is not illegal go for it. Have fun
Oh yeah the other day the interior decided to give up the ghost and the front seat back split across the middle as if the treads just gave up holding on! So now I have to replace the interior.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:21 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
For me, the decision to remain stock or to modify was made before I bought the truck. As I bought it, it has a Merc engine and not the original Ford. Still a flatty and only someone who knows how to tell the the difference would know. But, it's not stock. Nor is the two tone paint, the aluminum tread plate bed floor and running boards. Nor are the 70's era wheels and radial tires.
To go back, would have been as expensive, or more so, then moving forward. So, now it has a 12 volt system with LED's a revamped interior with reupholstered bucket seats, vinyl headliner and door panels and a console. I will, for now, leave the drive train alone. Next on the list is better steering and maybe a wood bed.
But, it still looks relatively original.
Based upon what I have seen, on the market. The stockers are still going up, in value, but at a very slow pace. Those that have minor modifications, like mine, may or may not bring a slightly higher dollar. It depends on the mood and local market. Well done, highly modified truck/hot rods are still commanding a much higher price tag. But they also require a much higher investment.
For me, the "merits" are all personal. What do you really want? What would you be most proud to drive in a parade or to some local/national event? Or even to the grocery store?

Old 02-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Brucekoukalaka
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My '52 F3 is in fairly good condition, except the engine and box (engine stuck, box floor rotted and minimal rust holes in the sides near the front) Somewhere along the way a pair of signal lights were added to the roof as they were to a lot of trucks back in the day. My intention is to build it as close to original as possible aside from the rims, being RH5 design or what are referred to true widow makers, the ones split in the middle of the rim (these are illegal by the way) those with the split rings and possibly the rear gears (I think 6.19s is a bit ridiculous).I do not really want to swap out the entire rear diff housing if possible. The 239 will be rebuilt as well as the transmission (HD3speed) I even have the original seat which will be reupholstered. I would like to keep it 6 volt and drum brakes along with the front end original design.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:37 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I had every intention when I bought my '49F4 to keep it stock with the exception of adding the Brownie transmission. I have a good block and a Mercury crank that I was going to use to build an engine for it. When we stopped driving our '84 Mercedes 300TD, I decided that the engine was worth more than I was going to get out of the car. So I decided to go to the darkside and put the diesel in my F4. Since diesel engines were available in the F4-F8 trucks for export only, I wanted to make the Mercedes diesel look like it could have been installed at the factory. As far as the disc brake conversion goes, here again I intended to go stock. I have like new shoes for all the way around and I had sleeved the wheel cylinders and MC with stainless and rebuilt them. I reassembled the rear brakes and was getting ready to reassemble the fronts when I found I needed drums. So that is when I made the decision to convert to discs. I am glad I did, I think it now has the best brakes of any vehicle I own.
Mark

Old 02-03-2017, 05:53 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
I don't have the skills needed to do serious resto-mod modifications, and the rest of the stuff I can do myself is too expensive. I originally just needed a parts hauler and that's exactly what it is. It has 70's era chrome wheels(rusted), an alternator, some aftermarket gauges, and soon it will have the dual feed master cylinder. Otherwise it is driven as-is.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The interior of one of my 200 MPH toys. Built from plans and sheets of aluminum completed in 2003

I like stock trucks when it is practical. I have some skills as a fabricator and am fortunate to own most of the equipment to build near anything. I don't like to spend money on things I can make even though they are not exact replicas. Unfortunately, that takes me - to as you guys call it - "the dark side". Problem with me is scope creep as I like metal work and off the wall ideas. I really like to build more than anything else.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:05 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Brucekoukalaka
(these are illegal by the way).
Not federally they're not. Might be individual states that have outlawed them, but a recall during 1970s failed. At least the recall got the manufacturers to cease their production. Your charts began with me, I sent them to Vintage Truck magazine, then they released them to the guys at Stovebolt.com. Stu

Quick Reply: What are the merits of staying stock / original?