1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My mustang gas tank install

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM
armyaviation
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mustang gas tank install

I am following johns post on how to install a mustang tank in the back of my 56 frame. Had a couple questions though

1. Does the tank need to be bolted to the 1 inch frame that John made. I was going to mount the front to the shock cross member and the back to the rear cross member that I had to remove. Is that not secure enough or does it need to be bolted to something on the sides too? I am using the 16 gallon tank and sliding it in between the rails which I narrowed.

2. Can the tank to be bolded directly to the frame or is there an issue with the frame flexing. Kind of goes in there with the first question is that why John used a boxing frame mount the tank to. Also can the tank be mounted metal to metal or does there need to be rubber between it and the frame

Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2017, 02:57 PM
armyaviation
Tuned
Also I was wondering about flipping the rear crossmember upside down and bolting it right to the tank for support in the rear. I wonder if it will be too high sticking up above the frame and will contact the bed.also I assume the tank would want to be as level as possible?

Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2017, 05:13 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 967 Likes on 861 Posts
Is there no tank, after all these years, that has been fabricated to just bolt in? I'm not about to drill out the rivets to remove a cross member. I have no idea how I would reinstall it. Did you search for a "plug and play" tank, or just go with the usual?

Old 02-02-2017, 05:46 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Tank support

I used belly straps under my tank (20 gal) '79 Mustang tank, fastened to cross member at front and crossmember at rear. I drilled and welded nuts to the rear cross member so I can drop tank without any hastle. Put rubber "softners" along the frame rail to hold tank firm and prevent rattling.

(Side note: make sureif you go this route that you put all bed wood down prior to tank instal or you won't get the last centre bolts in.)

Old 02-02-2017, 06:04 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
Tom... mine is bolted to the rectangular frame of 1" sq tubing and that is bolted to the truck frame... I mounted a trailer hitch behind the tank which necessitated moving the tank forward... now, in the front, the frame kicks up so to keep it level I had to mount drop down braces... check the article again

Originally I had it mounted as you have... inside the frame rails but then someone mentioned having to remove it...Light bulb moment... I mounted mine under the frame in case I ever had to remove it. I'm running a roll pan and no bumper... it would be impossible to remove it (or very very hard) with it tucked into the frame.

final mount will have rubber pads if for no other reason to stop a squeak if there was one... but it might need to have a separate ground wire with rubber mounts.

I guess you could mount directly to the frame if you tank is short enough to stay in the 'flat' portion of the rail...

afa drilling out the rivets... I ground mine down flush with the frame and used a drift pin to punch them out... easier than drilling... and my rear crossmember is gone... my trailer hitch cross arm (2" thick wall tubing) is taking it's place

Attached Images     
Old 02-02-2017, 06:31 PM
armyaviation
Tuned
Thanks for the reply. John as for leveling the tank, I was thinking of mounting front to the shock cross member and the back to a 1 inch square tube going across. I didn't know if you needed bolts and supports on the side. As for removing it, you mentioned in the article that the sending unit was mounted on the bottom, what else would necessitate removing the tank other than an accident.... hopefully not.
As far as grounding, I didn't know if it was necessary to use rubber insulators under the tank or if metal to metal is ok.