Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pioneer AVH unit Club?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 07:31 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Pioneer AVH unit Club?

I'd like to start a thread about the Pioneer AVH units for those who own them and those who are looking at them. There are a lot of features and some of us owners may have answers for other owners that have questions that they cannot find answers to in the manual.

I'll start out with a question

I haven't yet figured out why on the satellite radio sometimes the song title and artist are highlighted and sometimes not. Sometimes the highlight will not be there but then it will appear after switching to another station and back again while the track is still playing. Here's what I mean:

Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I have always brighten Pioneer head units and love them. I have an AVH-2600BT. It's a couple years old but works great. No gps or satellite radio, but still a great all around radio.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:47 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

OK so I figured it out, the manual was no help except for a picture that I already looked at a dozen times that said "live mode". Then I went out and messed with the radio some more and figured out that when you have "tune start" enabled it will start the song at the beginning when you tune to that station. Since it is not actually "live" the track will not be highlighted. If you disable tune start in the menu it will always be live and highlighted. You can also leave tune start "on" and push fast forward to bring the song back to "live".

Hope that helps someone someday.

The next one I don't have much hope for. When I select "power off" from the drop down menu I hate the popup that says "are you sure?" This means I have to tap once for the drop down, again for power off and again for "yes I am sure". Maybe someone knows a way around this?

I really miss my old volume **** too, you know the one you can fumble around for without having to take your eyes off the road? Maybe I will get used to the push button volume so I don't have to look at it.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:28 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by bigb56
OK so I figured it out, the manual was no help except for a picture that I already looked at a dozen times that said "live mode". Then I went out and messed with the radio some more and figured out that when you have "tune start" enabled it will start the song at the beginning when you tune to that station. Since it is not actually "live" the track will not be highlighted. If you disable tune start in the menu it will always be live and highlighted. You can also leave tune start "on" and push fast forward to bring the song back to "live".

Hope that helps someone someday.

The next one I don't have much hope for. When I select "power off" from the drop down menu I hate the popup that says "are you sure?" This means I have to tap once for the drop down, again for power off and again for "yes I am sure". Maybe someone knows a way around this?

I really miss my old volume **** too, you know the one you can fumble around for without having to take your eyes off the road? Maybe I will get used to the push button volume so I don't have to look at it.

I would agree with you, I always like the volume **** as well. Do you have a remote? I have one and made some nylon straps with Velcro that go around my center console lid. I Velcro the remote to the lid and can control the volume without looking away from the road. Can also flip radio stations and songs on the iPod without looking away too. Just a thought.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
My cheap-o head unit has a volume ****, and it broke the first year I owned the unit. I have since used the remote to adjust volume, and it works well for keeping my eyes on the road.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:11 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
the only complaint i have with the AVH is it will randomly power off.
usually around 2 am after being out plowing for 8-12 hours. it can stay off for 2 minutes, or 30 minutes. then when it comes back on i have ot reset all the memory functions.
been doing it since i put it in 5 years ago.

i know it is a simple power connection, but i am senile and forget to fix it when it is working, and can not take it apart to find the problem when it shuts off.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 AM
arcticatdan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one of these remotes and it works great. will also control the phone. I had to mount it upside down for it to see the radio best.

CD-SR11 - Steering Remote for Pioneer Navigation Systems | Pioneer Electronics USA

Old 01-30-2017, 08:59 AM
arcticatdan
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
usually around 2 am after being out plowing for 8-12 hours. it can stay off for 2 minutes, or 30 minutes. then when it comes back on i have ot reset all the memory functions.

i know it is a simple power connection, but i am senile and forget to fix it when it is working, and can not take it apart to find the problem when it shuts off.
I have a similar problem but it happens when the truck is off sometimes when I start the truck the radio is like the first time you connect it. It has forgot everything.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by tjc transport

Weird. I plow as well and never had that happen. But I know it's all up in the air. Mine has gone to a black screen before, but I just had to touch any button and it came back on.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:09 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
Seth, i think my issue is a loose connection that only acts up when it gets real hot, or there is a bad capacitor int he radios power supply.
but like i said, it only does it once in a while. usually once every 4-5 months when it gets real hot under the dash. so i just live with it. .

Old 01-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
When it loses memory, that usually means the memory wire on the head unit doesn't have the right connection - or none at all.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 PM
arcticatdan
Senior User
It is connected directly to the ford harness. Does it once every two to four months. Just seems a little weird.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:40 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by arcticatdan
I have one of these remotes and it works great. will also control the phone. I had to mount it upside down for it to see the radio best.

CD-SR11 - Steering Remote for Pioneer Navigation Systems | Pioneer Electronics USA
Thanks, I didn't know those were available. Looks like the newest model is a SR110 with Bluetooth, $53 on Amazon & $27 on ebay. I did see on the reviews of the one you have it is hit and miss with IR communication, I didn't see anyone that thought of trying it upside down. Wonder if the BT one is better. The BT is probably only for the phone tho

Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 AM
arcticatdan
Senior User
I mounted mine at the 4 to 5 o'clock position on steering wheel. Works good.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:40 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Just ordered from ebay, coming all the way from Great Britian.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVH unit Club?