1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Liftgate Latch 04 Navi

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 04:44 PM
salazar44
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liftgate Latch 04 Navi

So I figured out what was causing my liftgate ajar problem. The latch was not being LOCKED because the 'Open Rod' was pulled in a way that prevented the ratchet part of the latch to lock up. I guess you can say it was acting as if the liftgate open handle was always being pulled on.

See the pics below. But I am still wonder what the silver contraption is that parents that open rod. It has a half moon type gear on it but I dont know how to test this to see if its bad.

From the remote I am able to lock and unlock the liftgate. I see function going on to the right of the latch. But nothing seems to be moving with the big silver contraption. Im not sure what its for. Googled Delphi PN 16640586 rev 002 and found nothing.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have power liftgate?

I also had the liftgate ajar message and interior light stayed on but WD40 sprayed everywhere cured it for now when I manually shut it but not when it is power shut.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
So I may have found the issue with my liftgate ajar. After looking at all part and checking how the system works nothing seems wrong with the motor to lock and unlock. The hatch goes up and down and locks the latch correctly, however I found an electric component that is located on the left side/drivers side of the lift gate that had corroded connections. I cleaned them up and I am no longer getting a liftgate ajar on the dash. Below are pictures of the part. My interior lights are still on even though all doors are close. The fun still continues.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:08 PM
salazar44
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rowekmr
Do you have power liftgate?

I also had the liftgate ajar message and interior light stayed on but WD40 sprayed everywhere cured it for now when I manually shut it but not when it is power shut.
Yes my liftgate is power. I went to the dash and turned it off and back on. I forget the sequence of events, but I am guessing I got lucking and performed the liftgate reset procedure. Not the liftgate works via power. It also closes and latches itself.

With that being said, I still get the stupid liftgate ajar message. Im going to look into the other post with the corroded connectors.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 PM
salazar44
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Starry Night
So I may have found the issue with my liftgate ajar. After looking at all part and checking how the system works nothing seems wrong with the motor to lock and unlock. The hatch goes up and down and locks the latch correctly, however I found an electric component that is located on the left side/drivers side of the lift gate that had corroded connections. I cleaned them up and I am no longer getting a liftgate ajar on the dash. Below are pictures of the part. My interior lights are still on even though all doors are close. The fun still continues.
Hey Starry Night... Thanks for this post. After getting the liftgate to function via power control and get the latch to lock, I still get the liftgate ajar problem. I am going to give your fix a shot. Oh yeah... what year is yours? Thanks again!

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
Salazar44,
I have a 2004 Navigator. Good luck.
I just read a post regarding the interior lights staying on. It soumds like a stuck sensor in one of the door locks. Time to get the WD-40 out and spray the door latches.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM
salazar44
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Starry Night
Salazar44,
I have a 2004 Navigator. Good luck.
I just read a post regarding the interior lights staying on. It soumds like a stuck sensor in one of the door locks. Time to get the WD-40 out and spray the door latches.
Yep... I took the door panel off yesterday to swap out with a new sensor. Unfortunately I bought the wrong one, so I will have to do this job twice. Aside from scraping and scratching up my fat forearm its not too bad. Long sleeves next time!

I sure hope that stops the problem. Even cleaning up the old switch and putting it back in didnt stop the problem. So Im thinking the switch could just be bad now. Because the little button didnt have any issues going in and out.

So with this liftgate, there is no jamb sensor like device? Its controlled by the box you cleaned up?

Old 04-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Starry Night
Junior User
Salazar44,
Well I thought that resovled the liftgate ajar but it did not. I have the same issue and I think it may be the liftgate latch micro switches inside the latch. I have to take it apart and check again. If it is the micro switch on the latch assembly I may need to purchase a new latch. For 2004 Lincoln Navi the part number is Ford Part No.: 6L7Z-7843150-A.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:08 AM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sold mines before I got the problem resolved but I think weak hatch struts maybe contributed to my problem. I would watch it come down under power and it would move faster then seemed like the motor was interrupted because it paused (overspeed protection?) right before it latched.

If I manually shut the latch there was no issue. Problem was sometimes it would allow me to manually shut it others time it was stiff because the power mechanism was still engaged.

My understanding is if the lights are on because door/latch open the air suspension won't adjust.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Starry Night
Junior User
So I finally fix the issue with Tailgate ajar and interior lights on. On the 2004 Navigator there are two micro switches that are housed in the tailgate lock mechanism. One or both micro switches were shot. I was able to find a used tailgate lock on a eBay as Ford has a national back order on them. This is what my part looks like. It's nice to have no more ajar light in the dash come on and it fix my interior light from staying on and killing the battery if you don't use the dimmer non to shut it off. So for those who still have interior lights on and tailgate ajar, this is the fix, new tailgate lock assembly.