Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

need advice on getting my idi road worthy again

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 04:31 PM
big ole ford
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
need advice on getting my idi road worthy again

So I finally got my 86 f350 crew cab up and driving but have found several small things that it needs to be a daily driver, just mainly due from sitting for a long time. First and foremost the king pins and axle pivot bushings are shot and I have only ever done one axle pivot bushing and never done king pins before so I would like some advice on that. Other than that it is a bunch of small stuff like the tach doesnt work (bad sensor), boost leaks and exhaust leaks that I need some parts info for, I need part numbers or where to get the following

Tach sensor
2 prong temp sensor by thermostat housing(missing)
donut gaskets at exhaust manifold to turbo piping (banks turbo)
gasket/ seal where turbo hat attaches to the intake manifold
grommet where turbo oil drain attaches to valley pan

If someone knows a reliable source to get these parts let me know and as far as the tach and temp sensor if someone had good used ones they were willing to part with I would be ok with used ones since that kind of stuff dont normally go bad. Lastly I want to replace the injectors because they are worn out, I found some new ones on rock auto for like 23 bucks each brand new and the next best deal I found were oem stanadynes for 375.00 on ebay, obviosly I want to go with the stanadynes but considering my current finances the new ones from rock auto are more appealing so any advice on that would be appreciated. Thanks for any advice anyone has, especially on the king pins

Old 01-29-2017, 09:02 PM
7threeaz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an extra tach sensor sitting around that should be good. My tach started jumping around so I thought the sensor was bad and bought a new one. (this was before I realized you could test them) Turns out it was related to the plug on the transmission and not the sensor that was bad. Anyway if you want it pm me your info and i'll send it to you. The wires on it are good, insulation is all there on both ends.

Other than that I bought my new one on Amazon. Came in a genuine ford part bag, cost was like $65

Old 01-30-2017, 01:27 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
Look here for your Injectors, highly recommended here on the Forum.

Featured Products

Charlie

Old 01-31-2017, 05:21 PM
big ole ford
More Turbo
I have emailed banks engineering for part numbers on the turbo related parts, maybe I will get lucky and they will still have them available or at least point me in a direction, I have looked at those injectors you recommended charmalu, they seem to be good bang for the buck i am still a bit leery of rebuilt injectors due to some previous bad experiences but those look pretty good. Thanks

Old 01-31-2017, 08:18 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no donut, should be metal to metal as far as i know. There is a doorman part, idk it, but thats what people use for the valley pan. That coolant sensor is the one for the IP cold advance and high idle, just a 111* switch. As for kingpins, they can be the easiest thing in the world, or the most impossible.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:34 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Justins injectors are just as good or better than stock new, because they are all flow tested and matched before the set goes out. with stock new you have no idea how old they are, and they were not flow tested to be a matching set.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 PM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
I can only get ya partial P/N's for these two

Tach sensor: 17B384

Cold Timing/High Idle temp switch 2 prong sensor: 9E939

Old 02-02-2017, 03:45 PM
big ole ford
More Turbo
So I spoke with someone at banks today and they found me a kit that has all the turbo related gaskets I need for $25 but they also said that it should not have donut gaskets where the up pipes connect to the manifolds so I am just going to remove the donut gaskets that are on there and reinstall the pipes then see if that stops the leak. I think I have the tach sensor handled and I am dreading those king pins. I guess the only thing I lack is the temp sensor for the fast idle and I found it at napa but they want 101.00 for it so I will just wait and find a used one for that. Thanks for your help folks!

Old 02-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
Justins injectors are just as good or better than stock new, because they are all flow tested and matched before the set goes out. with stock new you have no idea how old they are, and they were not flow tested to be a matching set.
I second this - Justin is at idiperformance.com

Originally Posted by big ole ford
I am just going to remove the donut gaskets that are on there and reinstall the pipes then see if that stops the leak.
If it turns out that the problem is that the exhaust flange seating area is pitted to where it won't seal, I know Justin has the tool to make new flange pieces. I'd check with him, but if he can sell you those, then it's just a matter of welding the new flanges on(or having an exhaust shop do it for you - no big deal).