1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Hwklein88
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
My thoughts were backwards. This is a drawing that is very clear. But you will need a different / more original air cleaner.

So do i just cap off the hose that is currently running to the passenger intake?

Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No that hose should ether have a breather filter or hooked to the air cleaner with a breather filter

Old 02-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Classicdriver
Senior User
Try and think of it as a circular path that you need to create. There are several different ways to create that path, but the idea is that you need to make air flow through the engine, in one place and out the other. The "other" in this scenerio is into the intake to be burned up in the combustion chambers. You need to suck the crap out of the engine and burn it out the exhaust basically. In order to "vent" the engine of pressure and fumes. So the base of the carburetor is usually where the "sucking" begins going to the PCV valve which regulates that air flow. The other end comes in through the other side valve cover (or in some cases, the intake manifold) that should have a breather on it that is filtered. one way or another that is where the air goes into the engine. You can also run a hose from the air cleaner into the valve cover. Or, you can google examples of a PCV system and that may help too.

Dan

Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Hwklein88
Junior User
Originally Posted by Classicdriver
Try and think of it as a circular path that you need to create. There are several different ways to create that path, but the idea is that you need to make air flow through the engine, in one place and out the other. The "other" in this scenerio is into the intake to be burned up in the combustion chambers. You need to suck the crap out of the engine and burn it out the exhaust basically. In order to "vent" the engine of pressure and fumes. So the base of the carburetor is usually where the "sucking" begins going to the PCV valve which regulates that air flow. The other end comes in through the other side valve cover (or in some cases, the intake manifold) that should have a breather on it that is filtered. one way or another that is where the air goes into the engine. You can also run a hose from the air cleaner into the valve cover. Or, you can google examples of a PCV system and that may help too.

Dan
thanks. I'm still not sure what to do about the port that has a hose running into the passenger intake. What port is this for and why does he have it running into the passenger intake?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Classicdriver
Senior User
That is where we're saying should go to a PCV valve. I think you are calling the valve covers "intakes". the Intake manifold is in the center, under the carb. The valve covers are on the left and the right side of the engine. That is where you vent the engine and fill the oil. The air gets sucked in one valve cover and out the other basically. and furthermore, I don't think it makes a difference which direction you do it in, either. Just my thoughts on it

Dan

Old 02-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Hwklein88
Junior User
That is where we're saying should go to a PCV valve. I think you are calling the valve covers "intakes". the Intake manifold is in the center, under the carb. The valve covers are on the left and the right side of the engine. That is where you vent the engine and fill the oil. The air gets sucked in one valve cover and out the other basically. and furthermore, I don't think it makes a difference which direction you do it in, either. Just my thoughts on it

Dan
ok cool thanks. So I'm running the pcv on the front of the carb to the valve cover. But what about the hose that's on the back of the carb that's currently running to the valve cover?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Classicdriver
Senior User
just plug it off. You already have your power brakes hooked up. Otherwise, it is usually used for that.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Classicdriver
Senior User
When you take that back hose off and plug the carb port. Make sure you put a breather type cap in the passenger side valve cover since you don't have any provisions for a hose on the air cleaner.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Hwklein88
Junior User
When you take that back hose off and plug the carb port. Make sure you put a breather type cap in the passenger side valve cover since you don't have any provisions for a hose on the air cleaner.
Many specfic caps you prefer for pcv and a regular breather cap?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:57 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is a pic of one style of breather. The one on the driver's side valve cover. If you don't need to have a hose coming out of this breather they make plain ones.

You can see the (chrome) breather right next to the driver's side air intake. The hose on the back of my carb goes to the other valve cover, just like yours.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:04 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Here is an old pic of the passenger side valve cover. My truck came with the chrome breathers, so I kept them. The only difference between yours and mine is that your PCV valve plugs straight into the valve cover, while mine is in the top of the breather cap (which screws into the valve cover)

Old 02-08-2017, 02:10 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Here is an old pic showing both breather caps, you can also see that the hose from the passenger side valve cover connecctes to the rear of the carb.Mine is a 2V carb.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Hwklein88
Junior User
Got the PCV hooked up and all that jazz. Seems to run a smidge bit better. Had the stall out again this morning. Changed out the fuel filter two days ago and it ran 10x's better. Could this be a clogged line or a bad pump?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Classicdriver
Senior User
What happened exactly on the stall out?

Old 02-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Hwklein88
Junior User
What happened exactly on the stall out?
It just started idling really bad and was acting like it was going to shut off.. Gave it a little bit of gas and it picked back up.. Just did it again once i shifted in reverse to back up into my drive way.

Quick Reply: Starting Issue