tansmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
tansmission cooler

Well I seem to need to flush my tranny cooler on my 02' f150 fx4 4x4 with tow package, pretty sure it has the 4r70w ,

There seem to be some debate on some of the information weather it is worth flushing the trans cooler and better off replacing it? Just was wondering if replacement is the better route? Or if flushing would be adequate and not too time consuming?

Then there is suggestion to replace it with the superduty trans cooler if towing is done, this is the route I was thinking of going. If I replace with SD trans cooler is there any modifications to fitting it in there? Also...What brands are recommended and what part number would it be for the SD Trans cooler ?

I don't tow often but when I do I press the limit.

I reason I conclude to need to flush the cooler is I have sprung leaks on the trans cooler line, (the long one) after replacing it twice within the last year.

would I need to flush the radiator as well?

Old 01-23-2017, 08:52 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Why would a leaking cooler line require a cooler flush? Are you saying that the leaks are a result of a plugged cooler? Is so, don't flush it, you CANNOT get it clean.

If you do replace the cooler, use one from a 2003-2007 6.0L Superduty. No, I don't have part numbers.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:07 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Why would a leaking cooler line require a cooler flush? Are you saying that the leaks are a result of a plugged cooler? Is so, don't flush it, you CANNOT get it clean.

If you do replace the cooler, use one from a 2003-2007 6.0L Superduty. No, I don't have part numbers.
Well...as mentioned before, The presumption or assumption is, ( yes that can be dangerous), is that with 2 leaking cooler lines in the same location, within a year that there is a flow restriction, there by, creating higher line pressures and making the lines leak. And I got some mixed information as to if the cooler was flushable or not.? thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the information of what to look for that helps. You wouldn't happen to know if that cooler would require any modification of any kind ?? or is it a direct bolt in and same lines still fit? and if there would be any down side to such a upgrade/modification?

Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The lines will need an adapter. They are 1/2", yours are smaller. It is a direct fit in the Superduty, I'll bet it isn't a bolt in for an F-150.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:36 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
The lines will need an adapter. They are 1/2", yours are smaller. It is a direct fit in the Superduty, I'll bet it isn't a bolt in for an F-150.
I looked up the trans cooler for the 6.0 and it is fair amount larger. I still need to get back under mine to see what room is available?

Back to the radiator and the built in cooler there....Is that portion of the trans cooler flushable? or not?

Also, what kind of pressure are those tranny cooler lines subject too?

Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Some of the in tank coolers can be flushed. Some cannot. If you can see the cooler in the radiator (sometimes you can by looking into either the cap or the lower hose opening) you can tell. If the cooler is just some looped tubing, it can be flushed. If it is a small version of the air to oil cooler, then it can't be flushed.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:39 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Some of the in tank coolers can be flushed. Some cannot. If you can see the cooler in the radiator (sometimes you can by looking into either the cap or the lower hose opening) you can tell. If the cooler is just some looped tubing, it can be flushed. If it is a small version of the air to oil cooler, then it can't be flushed.
Thanks again Mark

Old 02-07-2017, 07:36 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Well here is what I am going to do, and most of decisions were based on the 192,000 mile that are on the truck. It may seem over kill but I don't like to do things again.

Replace the radiator with a new aftermarket one that is wider than my original.

Replace the transmission cooler with a new OEM unit that I got a great deal on.

Replace the transmission cooler line, this is still under warranty so this is a free one, & yes it is MC.

Replace the water pump as well. yes this too is MC

Replace the upper and lower coolant hose too. yes these too are MC

Thanks for the responses. A special thanks to Mark Kovalsky for you insight