2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Applied power or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:45 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Applied power or lack thereof

I would swear. my '17 does not have the applied power my '15 KR Dually had from dead stop acceleration to midrange. From on ramp traffic integration to pulling my 5ver. On Interstate, it just does not have the get up???

Any one else?

Old 01-22-2017, 03:56 PM
gbkeith
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '17 beats my '11 or either of the two '15's I've driven enough to say anything about.

The srw trucks are torque limited more in the lower gears. Going from a drw to a srw may be your issue.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You do realize the power is the same on both trucks, it's just the tq is up by 65lbs and really in these big trucks you will hardly feel the difference. The only thing I can think is is that power limitation in the lower gears.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Seastacker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, I trust my pants dyno and if you say your old dually was stronger out of the hole, I believe you. BUT…My first impression of this truck was "HOLY CRAP! This thing is fast!"

Old 01-22-2017, 04:54 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Seastacker
Hey man, I trust my pants dyno and if you say your old dually was stronger out of the hole, I believe you. BUT…My first impression of this truck was "HOLY CRAP! This thing is fast!"
I said that about my '15!

NOTE I said Applied power from gitgo to beginning mid range, at that time the '17 wakes up from nap time and rolls.

I first noticed coming down the on ramp onto I 10 N. looking for the far left lane like a hooker looking for a dropped $20 bill. I've got a 35 mile drive north to make before I exit and I want to roll, my 17 dips and dodges trying to make the left lane.

I can really tell when loaded vs my '15...

Old 01-22-2017, 06:50 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have experienced the opposite, it goes better for me. But, it has to be dry, and no dirt, or traction control starts interfering. Are you seeing full boost to the top of the gauge? If not, I think perhaps change to sport mode with a double tap of the traction button. Though I have to admit its hard to watch the gauge and the road cause it goes so hard and is so fast.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mhoefer
I have experienced the opposite, it goes better for me. But, it has to be dry, and no dirt, or traction control starts interfering. Are you seeing full boost to the top of the gauge? If not, I think perhaps change to sport mode with a double tap of the traction button. Though I have to admit its hard to watch the gauge and the road cause it goes so hard and is so fast.
SPORT mode...wow, yea maybe that is the issue...I have never broke traction at all!

Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
SPORT mode...wow, yea maybe that is the issue...I have never broke traction at all!
Some engines will end up slightly down on power.

Previous gen was not torque limited. Your new truck is, plus probably a taller axle ratio and physically taller tires which serve to make the axle seem even taller.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If your traction control light on the dash is not going off then that's not the issue. Just saying from my experience, it breaks the tires loose pretty damn easy without a load, weight on the rear. I am seeing full boost at wide open throttle pretty damn quick.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mhoefer
If your traction control light on the dash is not going off then that's not the issue. Just saying from my experience, it breaks the tires loose pretty damn easy without a load, weight on the rear. I am seeing full boost at wide open throttle pretty damn quick.
"Full" boost on the gauge would be 40psi yet the turbo is only capable of about 30 or so. It cannot hit 40, so you aren't seeing "full" boost on he gauge.

I'm also unable to break the rear wheels free without brake torquing.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:21 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by troverman
Some engines will end up slightly down on power.

Previous gen was not torque limited. Your new truck is, plus probably a taller axle ratio and physically taller tires which serve to make the axle seem even taller.
3:55 vs 3:73 plus tire size of my 20's vs dually and not sure my traction control light is lit...will check when I roll tomorrow...

Old 01-22-2017, 07:29 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would swear. my '17 does not have the applied power my '15 KR Dually had from dead stop acceleration to midrange. From on ramp traffic integration to pulling my 5ver. On Interstate, it just does not have the get up??? Any one else?
Funny, I was going to mention this as well, I found myself thinking about it yesterday on the way home with my little Webelo from the Pine Wood Derby (he made a '17 F-350...with 2.5oz of pennies as payload...she was FAST on that track as well LOL) it was raining and we were making the most of the wet pavement. I agree completely. My '15 felt like a jet off the line, mid range was ok, and 50-90 came and went in a flash.

'17 feels geared much lower, I can bust em loose, but I sure don't feel the g-forces I did in the '15. Must be all that torque, made for getting things going. Sure is comfy though!

Old 01-22-2017, 11:46 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Get the Afe torcher

From stage 3 and intake
Intuitive, On-The-Fly Controls
While the re-tweaked 6.7L Powerstroke hiding under your hood is definitely nothing to scoff at, there is always room for potential. aFe's Scorcher HD Tuner unleashes that potential by increasing turbo boost and fuel pressure, sending power levels through the roof along with fuel efficiency. Four adjustable power levels accommodate different demands, whether that means an extra boost for heavy towing or better fuel efficiency for long road trips. The sleek and low-profile assembly includes a high quality case and wire harness with factory style connectors ensuring quick and easy plug-and-play installation.
Four Distinct Power Levels
The aFe Scorcher HD Tuner Module doesn't just give you more power and better efficiency, but with four on-the-fly adjustable power levels, you can fine tune performance to suit different applications. Installation of this extremely powerful tuning system should only take around 30 minutes thanks to the plug-and-play design and OE style connectors. This powerful and versatile tuning device has been put through rigorous testing processes to ensure consistently reliable performance, and the best part is - it doesn't leave a footprint on your ECU!
Fitment: 2017 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke

Power Increase: up to +50HP & +85 lbs/ft TQ

Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That tuner sounds interesting.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 AM
troverman
Hotshot
3:55 vs 3:73 plus tire size of my 20's vs dually and not sure my traction control light is lit...will check when I roll tomorrow...
Exactly. But even though the dually had the shorter axle ratio, made even better by the short tires, it still had to turn two sets of tires. I'd say the biggest limiting factor is the torque management system.

Quick Reply: Applied power or lack thereof