2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Applied power or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 AM
cayenne
Freshman User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FONRDAY
From stage 3 and intake
Intuitive, On-The-Fly Controls
While the re-tweaked 6.7L Powerstroke hiding under your hood is definitely nothing to scoff at, there is always room for potential. aFe's Scorcher HD Tuner unleashes that potential by increasing turbo boost and fuel pressure, sending power levels through the roof along with fuel efficiency. Four adjustable power levels accommodate different demands, whether that means an extra boost for heavy towing or better fuel efficiency for long road trips. The sleek and low-profile assembly includes a high quality case and wire harness with factory style connectors ensuring quick and easy plug-and-play installation.
Four Distinct Power Levels
The aFe Scorcher HD Tuner Module doesn't just give you more power and better efficiency, but with four on-the-fly adjustable power levels, you can fine tune performance to suit different applications. Installation of this extremely powerful tuning system should only take around 30 minutes thanks to the plug-and-play design and OE style connectors. This powerful and versatile tuning device has been put through rigorous testing processes to ensure consistently reliable performance, and the best part is - it doesn't leave a footprint on your ECU!
Fitment: 2017 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke

Power Increase: up to +50HP & +85 lbs/ft TQ

I'm curious, are you running one? I'm extremely tempted, but wanted to hear some first hand experience first!

Old 01-23-2017, 02:18 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah

it'3 mpg . More useable power in low to mid ,
scary fast loving it

Old 01-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FONRDAY
it'3 mpg . More useable power in low to mid ,
scary fast loving it
Does it get rid of the limitation power in lower gears? I might be interested in this since it doesn't leave a foot print.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:06 PM
ROADRUNNER1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It always leaves a footprint. Whether it's an over the limit sensor reading in the computer or simply a bigger combustion burn on the piston, Ford will know.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Joneser5000
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
I would swear. my '17 does not have the applied power my '15 KR Dually had from dead stop acceleration to midrange. From on ramp traffic integration to pulling my 5ver. On Interstate, it just does not have the get up???

Any one else?
my old man has a '15 F350 Platinum and it is faster than my '17. Off a rolling start his truck jumps, no, leaps forward from 50mph to 80mph in a heartbeat. My '17 is not as fast off the line nor at a roll.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:04 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER1
It always leaves a footprint. Whether it's an over the limit sensor reading in the computer or simply a bigger combustion burn on the piston, Ford will know.

Yes it does. What they mean when they say it does not leave a footprint is that is leaves no code dribbles scattered around ( I have never seen software that does not!) or at least not much.

But as you said, if you makes a change to any setting (that is NOT user changed at the dashboard level)., that becomes very difficult to hide down the road.

What YOU can do to cover the tracks is to (assuming it has) a OEM restore, this take it back to what was originally there. But that to has a challenge! It will restore back to factory either as it left the factory or with the last update. Now it gets really tricky IF you have not updated in some time and it restores to V .3, but the last update you did was to V.1...quite often in the world of Software you cannot skip a version update if you try all hell can be unleashed...most likely if it has a restore it will be to as it left the factory...

Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 PM
silver_pilate
Tuned
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks

Yes it does. What they mean when they say it does not leave a footprint is that is leaves no code dribbles scattered around ( I have never seen software that does not!) or at least not much.

But as you said, if you makes a change to any setting (that is NOT user changed at the dashboard level)., that becomes very difficult to hide down the road.

What YOU can do to cover the tracks is to (assuming it has) a OEM restore, this take it back to what was originally there. But that to has a challenge! It will restore back to factory either as it left the factory or with the last update. Now it gets really tricky IF you have not updated in some time and it restores to V .3, but the last update you did was to V.1...quite often in the world of Software you cannot skip a version update if you try all hell can be unleashed...most likely if it has a restore it will be to as it left the factory...
My understanding is that this isn't actually a software tune. Rather, it installs in-line and gives altered sensor readings to the computer to trick it into changing some parameters like boost and fuel pressure. Where it will show is in the sensor logs if they are pulled and the tech sees a sudden instant change in sensor readings that disappeared the day you brought it in for service or repair (when you took it off). I also am not sure how safe these kinds of add ons are as they don't allow the computer to have accurate info from its sensors to make adjustments that may be necessary.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:21 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 432 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by silver_pilate
I also am not sure how safe these kinds of add ons are as they don't allow the computer to have accurate info from its sensors to make adjustments that may be necessary.
Bingo!

It's kinda like splicing into your nerves so you can tell your brain that hot skillet only feels like 90 degrees instead of 212 degrees so that you can hold it on there longer.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:22 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by silver_pilate
My understanding is that this isn't actually a software tune. Rather, it installs in-line and gives altered sensor readings to the computer to trick it into changing some parameters like boost and fuel pressure. Where it will show is in the sensor logs if they are pulled and the tech sees a sudden instant change in sensor readings that disappeared the day you brought it in for service or repair (when you took it off). I also am not sure how safe these kinds of add ons are as they don't allow the computer to have accurate info from its sensors to make adjustments that may be necessary.
Possible, but still some code being tossed out there and while it may not have any latency, the things it triggers do. Any good software guy is gonna see it as corrupt or a hack. Hard to mess with embedded code and not show your colors to a pro...

Old 01-23-2017, 08:37 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Bingo!

It's kinda like splicing into your nerves so you can tell your brain that hot skillet only feels like 90 degrees instead of 212 degrees so that you can hold it on there longer.
RIGHT ON BRO

Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
UPDATE: Drove back home today and based upon much sage input from the many on here I turn on my Traction Control. I was pulling myt 5ver at @10.5k and it certainly seemed as it I had mo po to go... Did a few on ramps to far left was not disappointed.

Thanks to all, one more in the win column for Ford and the fine folks on here

Old 01-23-2017, 09:27 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you need

apply the power with your foot harder to the pedal then it will go
LOL no the afe tuner wakes it up a bunch

Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am seeing ~20 pounds boost WOT in 1,2 closer to 30 in 3rd gear from a standing start. With the diff locked on solid pavement, no Ice or snow, my truck is pretty damn fast. I don't expect, but can't verify at higher roll on speeds I would see much more boost, but I can't imagine it going much faster or harder. At highway speeds from 70 mph I am pretty sure I saw the boost maxed out on the normal range, almost 40 psi. It will be interesting to load up and see what it does, can do. I knew my 6.0 inside and out, where the shift points were, where boost would peak, in what gear and load. This engine, I can't say is much different on the lower hears, 20 psi Max, reaching 30 on the top end. As I learn this new one, I can see the power is significantly more. Even with 4 wheel drive and diff lock, it is breaking tires loose if I stomp on it. I have driven and operated some big stuff, I can't help but think that if your experience is lesser, there is something not right.