6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

ECT spikes while towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM
csevans42
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECT spikes while towing

i new to the forum and iv searched all over for the answer, hoping i can be pointed in the right direction. i have a 2006 f250 bulletproofed for about 5 years now with no problems other than normal wear and tear. i had the factory water pump go out a couple months ago so i decided to go with the bulletproof diesel pump for piece of mind now i do tow anywhere from 8K-15K about once a week with custom Gearhead tunes using SCT. While i was changing water pump i ordered mishimoto low temp therostat figured it would help with towing temps even though they wernt that bad to begin with my deltas aways around 10-12* figured it could only help.. Now im seeing signs of puking out degas bottle i replaced cap seems to help a little the truck doesnt puke unloaded unless i really get down on it. i noticed the other day while towing i was cruising with TC locked in at around 55 mph and i watched my EOT 210* and ECT 205*, the n ECT started climbing up followed by EOT then at ECT 222* fan came on ECT finally hit 234* and started dropping fast while EOT never got over 226*. ECT would level out at 188* go back up to 205* and stay there for awhile and do it all over again... What is going on. iv talked to a could mechanics and they arent confienced its the HG..

Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A few questions for you, and welcome to FTE.
Is your EGR cooler deleted?
Is your fan kicking in normally?
Are the mechanics you talked to experts with a 6.0? If not, then take what they say with a grain of salt, that said I would not assume it's the HG's just yet.

Sounds possible to me like these problems started after you switched to the low temp tstat?
Those are some pretty wild temp swings you are seeing there according to your post.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:51 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,467 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by navistarnut
A few questions for you, and welcome to FTE.
Is your EGR cooler deleted?
Is your fan kicking in normally?
Are the mechanics you talked to experts with a 6.0? If not, then take what they say with a grain of salt, that said I would not assume it's the HG's just yet.

Sounds possible to me like these problems started after you switched to the low temp tstat?
Those are some pretty wild temp swings you are seeing there according to your post.
+1 .

Old 01-20-2017, 09:51 AM
csevans42
Freshman User
well the temp swings are probaby coming from it puking once or twice since that morning i started towing so i know im low on coolant. I didnt start having this problem until after the new thermostat.. the EGR is a complete delete kit. EGT are normal too

Old 01-20-2017, 09:53 AM
csevans42
Freshman User
when changing water pump notcied fan was bad changed to new fan clutch and i really hear it kick in at about ECT 222*

Old 01-20-2017, 10:00 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by csevans42
well the temp swings are probaby coming from it puking once or twice since that morning i started towing so i know im low on coolant. I didnt start having this problem until after the new thermostat.. the EGR is a complete delete kit. EGT are normal too
Sounds to me like the cheapest route right now to figure things out would be to go back to a stock thermostat. Where do you live?
Mishi also makes a 200* tstat.
The 6.0 is happiest running a little warmer, but if you are in a warm climate and tow a lot then I can see why you might not want one.
Living here in northwest Iowa, we get really hot and humid summers, and have never had any issues with the 200* Mishi.
Keep the coolant topped off if you are, as you mention, low. No use flirting with disaster.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:05 AM
csevans42
Freshman User
i live in SC so best of both worlds its either to hot for us or either to cold lol.. All the mechianic iv spoke with have question me on why i installed the low temp thermostat, and that is what im leaning towards too never really had a problem with temps guess if aint broke dont fix it..I mainly came to this site cause iv watched to many youtube videos and iv convinced my self its blown HG.. Thanks for the quick replys and welcomes..i will be changing it out first of week when i get off

Old 01-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Go back to stock thermostat
2) remove the tunes
3) in the tech folder is a procedure for doing a coolant system flush. Part of that procedure references an access port on the oil valve body that can be used to back flush the oil cooler. Use a WHITE pipe cleaner and stick it down inside that access port and move it around - IF the pipe cleaner comes out with orange goo/slime on it then you have a situation called "silicant drop out", research it. One solution is Restore.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:41 AM
csevans42
Freshman User
ok from what im understanding and correct me if im wrong but i need to get a kit rigged up for a oil cooler backflush using the access point right under turbo at the valve body. go ahead and flush the block with both block plugs and radiator open and thermostat out. imma use just well water to flush block a couple of times to really flush it. Then i think it would be best to then backflush the oil cooler a couple times with just water. Then this is were im confused if i use restore do i need to use restore+(havent heard good thing) or use VC-9 instead of restore+? while back flushing the oil cooler do the whole run engine and heat up for 2 hours then do the same thing with the whole coolant system for a good thur flush after the oil cooler. then distilled water flushes for about a good 5 flushes then fill with Cat-1 ELC coolant to thermostat reinstall new OEM thermostat and insure i have about 3.5gal of coolant then top off with distilled water...

Old 01-21-2017, 08:43 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
So........is your well water the same purity as distilled? As in the same stuff referenced in the tech folder?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:58 AM
csevans42
Freshman User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
So........is your well water the same purity as distilled? As in the same stuff referenced in the tech folder?
i know the PH is pretty close but as far as minerals I doubt it so just stick with pure distilled the whole way through?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by csevans42
ok from what im understanding and correct me if im wrong but i need to get a kit rigged up for a oil cooler backflush using the access point right under turbo at the valve body. go ahead and flush the block with both block plugs and radiator open and thermostat out. imma use just well water to flush block a couple of times to really flush it. Then i think it would be best to then backflush the oil cooler a couple times with just water. Then this is were im confused if i use restore do i need to use restore+(havent heard good thing) or use VC-9 instead of restore+? while back flushing the oil cooler do the whole run engine and heat up for 2 hours then do the same thing with the whole coolant system for a good thur flush after the oil cooler. then distilled water flushes for about a good 5 flushes then fill with Cat-1 ELC coolant to thermostat reinstall new OEM thermostat and insure i have about 3.5gal of coolant then top off with distilled water...
Use Restore to clear the orange goo/slime/crud in the bottom of the Oil Cooler with the thermostat installed. To do that you need to drain three gallons of coolant, pour in half gallon of Restore, top off with the coolant you drained out or distilled water, run that up to 190'F for at least 20 minutes and then drain out the orange cloud - After that you can conduct any number of flush that you want.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:00 AM
csevans42
Freshman User
Okay i have everything ordered to do the job just have to run by somewhere tonight when i get off to pick up 20gal of distilled water. Have a DieselCare coolant filter kit order was about $65 free shipping and looks to be the same as the sinister diesel kit comes with a filter too, order restore and restore+ from wolfetruckparts.com seems to be most reasonble price. Emailed mishimoto about thermostat they say it sound like faulty part and will be covered under warranty but still going with OEM Tstat. Ran by local TractorSupply and grabbed Rotella ELC for $13 a gallon. Going to start next friday, crossing my fingers this fixes the problem.. Thanks again for all the great advise..

Old 01-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Did you boil the Mishimoto thermostat?

Old 01-23-2017, 09:51 AM
csevans42
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
Did you boil the Mishimoto thermostat?
no the thermostat is still on the truck.

Quick Reply: ECT spikes while towing