Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Work!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Work!!

So I kinda have the\is double edged sword kinda thing going on at work--I am on a school committee for my daughters school- I am also on the Parish council for church (school and church are the same) They want a security system installed. My company does that- and really well I might add.

So here's the thing- The church council and the school council both want me to get them the best video system at a great price- Work also wants me to get them a video system through work at the highest price-

But I also have to meet with the competitors to go over what the school/church needs.

I used to work for one of the competitors-- SO I know who they sent and who they are going to send to try and make the sale-

I can see where the competitor is making a huge mistake-- knowing what I know- Do I tell the competitor- the councils- ? Or do I let the competitor continue down the path and make their bid astronomically high- due to a mistake??

The mistake is nothing that will hurt anyone- the just think that they need some equipment that, I know they do not, to install the cameras.

On the flip side if we do get the bid- then I will have to do the work-- and it is going to be hard-- also every little thing that comes up will be my fault-- FOREVER. Camera dies 4 year from now and Poof they will be calling me. But I do want the best protection for my daughter too.

Thoughts?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Seems like a conflict of interests, perhaps an option would be to have yet a third company give a quote. (there are bunches of them out there)
The church/school could always go with the lowest bid.
You could explain the equipment to the church/school, and what they are looking at, and explain due to conflict of interest, you can only offer information, not suggestions, then lead them to make the decision on their own, without your influence.
Remember, that security cameras are not going to keep your little girl safe, they are historical data, and one version vs. another will not matter in the case of an event unless one is far superior to the other in design and number of cameras and clarity.
While you would have pride that you installed the equipment, and that it was the company you worked for that installed it, you are absolutely correct about it coming back to you if at any point in the next 40 years it would have a hiccup and fail.
Also, having cameras is great! However, Its a matter of luck that you would catch an event on a camera at the right time, with the person looking the right way, especially if "said person" happens to realize there are cameras and has an idea how to avoid being identified by cameras.
I feel it is your duty to contact the councils and have them be aware of the mistake, so that they can make the suggestion to the competitor, to make it right. It would be nice to compare apples to apples, an knowing what I know about the competitor, you can always buy better, but you will never pay more.
Small companies vs. large corporations live off of the sale that they make, if you check locally with a small company, they may have the deal of the century, and you help out a local person.
Sorry.. I am just sharing thoughts.
Disclaimer: Information above may or may not line up with your beliefs or morals, so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:30 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I assume you have been up front with the council knows you have a conflict of interest. Those situations are not uncommon with churches and they often hire members to do work.

You should be up front with the council about your thoughts on different providers. The church is not a governmental agency and is not bound to give all providers an equal shot or bound to take the lowest or highest bid. They asked you to review things for your expertise. I would not worry too much about possible dissatisfaction with the system down the road if you are up front about what you believe is the best way to go. You can't predict the future. Also, there will always be someone who will gripe. Especially in the Church as that is the nature of organizations.

Give it your best. Also, remember no good deed goes unpunished.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
HA HA thanks guys-- yes the church is fully aware of the conflict and I told them I would not be voting- just presenting my findings-- Its not big company against small company-- its my 200 employees against a huge company. You guys are pretty much along the lines and confirmed what I was already thinking. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Any time bud! I like giving my two cents, whether anyone takes the advice or not. (Its a curse)

Old 01-23-2017, 11:30 AM
husker
Hotshot
And with my two cents you have 4 cents worth of advice.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Which won't buy you a thing, unless someone else chimes in, and then maybe a piece of gum.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Is gum still only 3cents? I bet not- but I don't know haven't bought a single piece of bubble gum in 30 years I bet.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 AM
husker
Hotshot
You probably need at least a nickel for anything.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Yeah, I am betting it is likely a nickel.

There used to be a grocery store in Glen Elder that had boxes of single bubble gum *****, of about 20 different flavors, when I was small they were 1 cent each, but when I got a little older, they went up to 3 cents each. You never see those kinds of gumballs anymore, but I remember they were quite a treat!.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:23 AM
husker
Hotshot
I'm so old, i remember when a pack of Juicy Fruit was a nickel.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:53 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Mmmm Juicy Fruit! One of my favorites.

I don't remember the kind of gum, but each stick was a different color and flavor, and I absolutely loved it, however all the flavor was gone in the first two minutes or less. Think it was Fruit Stripes Gum. I remember it had a zebra on the package. Possibly the shortest flavored gum I have ever experienced.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:02 PM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
Mmmm Juicy Fruit! One of my favorites.

I don't remember the kind of gum, but each stick was a different color and flavor, and I absolutely loved it, however all the flavor was gone in the first two minutes or less. Think it was Fruit Stripes Gum. I remember it had a zebra on the package. Possibly the shortest flavored gum I have ever experienced.
It was definitely Fruit Strips gum with the zebra. The taste was amazing but very short lived, like typically 5 seconds and then it went straight to bland. Other than that it was great! lol

Old 02-01-2017, 04:50 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Ok I remember fruit stripes :-)-- Looked at the Russell stovers the other day- Nothing at all under $1.13 plus tax

Old 02-01-2017, 11:19 AM
husker
Hotshot
Darn Flip, we are going to have to give you a lot more advice before you save up #1.13 plus tax.

Quick Reply: Work!!