2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

I am not an eco-freak, but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:31 PM
DDT11
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not an eco-freak, but...

As my title states, I am not any an eco-freak but I have to question the people who want to run out and delete all of the emissions on these new trucks. Yes, I know that you may get a couple more MPG and some more power (450/925, is enough for me), but at what cost?

This is my first diesel. One of the reasons that I was reluctant to get one in the past was the smell. I know that some people love the smell of burnt diesel, but I'm not one. I was in Paris last year and that city wreaked so bad from all the diesels that I could hardly breathe. This truck has absolutely no exhaust smell at all, which is amazing. I am also old enough to remember how L.A. used to look in the 60's, not that far off Beijing today. I also have to consider the warrantee ramifications as I paid for an 8 year 125,000 plan that would not be worth the paper it is written on if I start monkeying with the emissions.

For me, the performance of this 8000# monster is amazing and i will leave things as they are.

I am only speaking for myself and for others, have at it.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Mcmurphrjk
Freshman User
I agree. That, and the guys who enjoy taunting the "greenies" by "rolling coal" all over them are doing us all a great disservice.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Florit17
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DDT11
. . .I know that you may get a couple more MPG and some more power (450/925, is enough for me). . .
That would be enough HP for me too. How can I get that in my truck? Mine only came with a measly 440HP.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:06 PM
DDT11
Mountain Pass
It does have a big tail pipe and 15 quarts of oil...

Old 01-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It does have a big tail pipe and 15 quarts of oil...
The 6.7's hold only 13qts.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
I get what y'all are saying and I probably won't delete mine either until my 125k mile warranty is up. But deleting the truck is actually good for the truck and most tuners tunes are pretty clean that rolling coals are a thing of the past. At least that's what I've been seeing. I'm sure someone can tune one to blow black smoke but how the EPA has been cracking down on performance shop, most tuners won't.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:20 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People who delete a 2017 SD under full warranty are lacking in the common sense dept. From what I see online, they appear to be on Daddy's tab still or have managed to get a decent paying job and haven't quite grasped financial prowess yet.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
As my title states, I am not any an eco-freak but I have to question the people who want to run out and delete all of the emissions on these new trucks. Yes, I know that you may get a couple more MPG and some more power (450/925, is enough for me), but at what cost?

This is my first diesel. One of the reasons that I was reluctant to get one in the past was the smell. I know that some people love the smell of burnt diesel, but I'm not one. I was in Paris last year and that city wreaked so bad from all the diesels that I could hardly breathe. This truck has absolutely no exhaust smell at all, which is amazing. I am also old enough to remember how L.A. used to look in the 60's, not that far off Beijing today. I also have to consider the warrantee ramifications as I paid for an 8 year 125,000 plan that would not be worth the paper it is written on if I start monkeying with the emissions.

For me, the performance of this 8000# monster is amazing and i will leave things as they are.

I am only speaking for myself and for others, have at it.
I'll bite. I do it for reliability.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:24 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
I wouldn't go that far. By deleting early could really prevent problems that you "could "have had down the road. And Ford also has to prove that the tune or deleting caused the problem.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Rooftop
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wait till that wonderful equipment leaves you on the side of the road in idle mode while pulling a travel trailer on vacation. While I don't care for the smell either I also don't care for having three different problems with exhaust sensors that left me in limp or idle mode. Warranty doesn't stop these things from happening it only pays for it when it does. The inconvenience of your truck being down because of overly sensitive sensors is just not worth the power anymore. I am switching back to gas.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rooftop
Wait till that wonderful equipment leaves you on the side of the road in idle mode while pulling a travel trailer on vacation. While I don't care for the smell either I also don't care for having three different problems with exhaust sensors that left me in limp or idle mode. Warranty doesn't stop these things from happening it only pays for it when it does. The inconvenience of your truck being down because of overly sensitive sensors is just not worth the power anymore. I am switching back to gas.
And the point of your post is what? Has nothing to do with this post.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:29 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by EightySecond
People who delete a 2017 SD under full warranty are lacking in the common sense dept. From what I see online, they appear to be on Daddy's tab still or have managed to get a decent paying job and haven't quite grasped financial prowess yet.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't have a 17 or a Ford anymore or have a deleted truck, but a truck without a DPF and EGR is far more reliable over time.

I'd be much happier without the DPF. The particulate filter makes it nearly impossible for the normal joe to diagnose simple problems early (leaking injectors, burning oil, burning coolant). Now, you have to wait for your DPF to fail before you learn that you need to investigate further upstream.

But you're right, the lack of smell and no soot does have some benefits. As well, there's a small/large group of folks who only do it to "roll coal." You can thank them for the increased EPA scrutiny for diesels.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I don't have a 17 or a Ford anymore or have a deleted truck, but a truck without a DPF and EGR is far more reliable over time.

I'd be much happier without the DPF. The particulate filter makes it nearly impossible for the normal joe to diagnose simple problems early (leaking injectors, burning oil, burning coolant). Now, you have to wait for your DPF to fail before you learn that you need to investigate further upstream.

But you're right, the lack of smell and no soot does have some benefits. As well, there's a small/large group of folks who only do it to "roll coal." You can thank them for the increased EPA scrutiny for diesels.
Honestly I think the morons who roll coals had very little impact on the EPA becoming strict on diesels. I really think the big rigs, big equipment with diesel engines are the real reasons. I mean look how much black smoke come out of a big rig when they shift gears. I know the '99 freightliner I drive blows a lot of black smoke in the lower gears especially when hauling a heavy load. And out on job sites all the older equipment without emission stuff on them blow black smoke all day long. So I highly doubt the EPA cracked down cause teenage kids blowing black smoke through towns.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:59 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Here we go again....

Quick Reply: I am not an eco-freak, but...