1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 to 7.5 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks nowadays will do just about anything unimaginable. That being said even if the 5.4 can be swapped for your 7.5 the Sky is the limit. If money is no object then have at it and yea please do share your experiences because you may not be the only one out there trying to do such a thing.

I don't know much about the 5.4 but for what I do know I do know that your probably putting that motor to some serious stress. The 6.8 should fair out a lot better in terms of what your using it for. And like those on here have mentioned already why not just sell what you got and use that money towards a truck that will handle what you throw at it? It certainly is your truck and it must be near and dear in your heart to want to go that extra mile and keep it around. **** even after 2 blow ups I would have tossed it out and gone with different setup.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I think, you'd need the dash, trans, (transfer case if 4x4) and all the harnesses and electronics for a 7.5 just to start.
Fuel supply adaptors, new driveshaft(s), and maybe even steering pumps, alternator, a/c belt adaptors..
headlight switches/wiring, power windows, power mirrors, etc. All use current electronic modules, no idea how you can integrate these all together.
Everything is possible, with enough time/money.
post pics of your project!!

Old 01-20-2017, 10:41 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,186 Likes on 815 Posts
The smart choice would be a new truck that ill meet your needs. The other option would be swapping a v-10 a donor truck would be a good idea. Or get another 5.4 and change gears something in the neighborhood of 4.88 or if available something in the 5.++. Rpm dont kill these engines, what type of oil you use? Oil filter? Air filter?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, ok. Color me "Nay Sayer".

I worked for a utility co. in AZ, and our entire FLEET of trucks were Ford SD's with the 5.4's in them. Close to 1 thousand trucks state wide. Our F-550's were all V-10's, but all our 250-350 trucks were 5.4's, with service bodies, and all run at max or over weight. I was also personal friends with our state's fleet manager, and we talked "trucks" frequently. All major repairs came across his desk, for his approval before the repair was allowed. I can count on ONE HAND the number of blown engines he'd seen in the 5 years I worked there and knew him, and I think 3 of those were human caused. Close to 1000 trucks, thousands of road miles per each, per year, hundreds of hours of idle time per truck, per year. It doesn't add up buddy.

Hafta call "BS" on your premise that it's the engine that is the source of the problem. We would take the trucks out of service with 200K on them typically (depending on age). The biggest problems we saw on the 5.4's, both 2 valve and 3 valve, were coil packs liked to start dropping out of them at around the 50-60K mark. Change those, and usually good for another 50K down the road. Spark plug changes were a PITA sure, especially the 2 valve engines, but that was a maintenance headache, not an engine killer (unless the guy doing it broke something off, dropped it in the hole, and didn't say anything about it).

These fleet trucks were mostly driven by man-children, that had no respect for them, and drove them like they were playing a video game. And they held up to the miles, excessive loading, heat, and idle time of fleet trucks very well. One of the biggest reasons I bought a Ford SD for myself, was watching how an entire FLEET of them held up to severe duty on a daily basis.

I would stop blaming the engine, and start blaming the face that's staring back at you in the mirror. Whatever it is you're doing to kill those engines, will kill any other engine as well. And your 460? Yeah, call it a door stop soon. Likely the only reason it still runs at all, is because you've been beating your 5.4 to death in it's place.

Sure the swap can be done. But it won't be easy, mostly due to the complicated wiring changes you will need to do. And BOTH trucks will be down for an extended period of time. When you're done, you will have a truck (assuming it runs), that can't be registered in any state with emissions testing in place, so good luck selling it when you decide to unload that Frankenstein.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Tell us how you really feel Slowpoke Slim!!!!

Old 01-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
While i dont think it will be a benificial swap. I would imagine a gear swap and a new or good rebuild would be a far better choice. My advice is to look to the diesel community. They often pull out one diesel in favor of another one. Such as a cummins swap. Now dont get lost on me. Im not saying diesel swap at all. What i am saying is if a guy did a cummins swap on a powerstroke it should have similar issues to resolve as yours with the 7.5 swap. Personally id find a obs or bullnose truck build a bulletproof drivetrain and a zf5 or nv tranny. It would be far simpler and a faster end product. But what ever you decide good luck.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
Tell us how you really feel Slowpoke Slim!!!!

Too much??

Old 01-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
Too much??

Hahahah...maybe just a bit. I read your post and thought you needed another cup of coffee.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:26 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Ya the engine is not the problem...The swap has to be from a same year or newer rig to be state and epa legal. Just not worth even thinking about IMO. Get a motor with a warranty. My brother got one for his 2003..buy it once. labor included.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Ok Tom,

I took my meds (beer), I feel better now.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:41 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Too much??

I'd say spot on.

The van I drive for work has a 5.4. I carry 8,000 pounds of van and equipment. When I'm not driving it, it is idling. Mainly for the electrical load. The engine does fine for it's tasked to do.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:03 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, ok. Color me "Nay Sayer".

I worked for a utility co. in AZ, and our entire FLEET of trucks were Ford SD's with the 5.4's in them. Close to 1 thousand trucks state wide. Our F-550's were all V-10's, but all our 250-350 trucks were 5.4's, with service bodies, and all run at max or over weight. I was also personal friends with our state's fleet manager, and we talked "trucks" frequently. All major repairs came across his desk, for his approval before the repair was allowed. I can count on ONE HAND the number of blown engines he'd seen in the 5 years I worked there and knew him, and I think 3 of those were human caused. Close to 1000 trucks, thousands of road miles per each, per year, hundreds of hours of idle time per truck, per year. It doesn't add up buddy.

Hafta call "BS" on your premise that it's the engine that is the source of the problem. We would take the trucks out of service with 200K on them typically (depending on age). The biggest problems we saw on the 5.4's, both 2 valve and 3 valve, were coil packs liked to start dropping out of them at around the 50-60K mark. Change those, and usually good for another 50K down the road. Spark plug changes were a PITA sure, especially the 2 valve engines, but that was a maintenance headache, not an engine killer (unless the guy doing it broke something off, dropped it in the hole, and didn't say anything about it).

These fleet trucks were mostly driven by man-children, that had no respect for them, and drove them like they were playing a video game. And they held up to the miles, excessive loading, heat, and idle time of fleet trucks very well. One of the biggest reasons I bought a Ford SD for myself, was watching how an entire FLEET of them held up to severe duty on a daily basis.

I would stop blaming the engine, and start blaming the face that's staring back at you in the mirror. Whatever it is you're doing to kill those engines, will kill any other engine as well. And your 460? Yeah, call it a door stop soon. Likely the only reason it still runs at all, is because you've been beating your 5.4 to death in it's place.

Sure the swap can be done. But it won't be easy, mostly due to the complicated wiring changes you will need to do. And BOTH trucks will be down for an extended period of time. When you're done, you will have a truck (assuming it runs), that can't be registered in any state with emissions testing in place, so good luck selling it when you decide to unload that Frankenstein.
I completely agree!!

Old 01-21-2017, 09:24 PM
rickbrad
Senior User
I used to use my '99 F-250 SuperCab 5.4 to pull rental travel trailers up and down hills all over the route from Columbus, OH from Texas Gulf Coast. Not the kind of duty of the man-children drivers, but I loved it and never did a thing to it over 10 years. I traded up to a 2002 F-350 SRW 2WD 7.3L Crew when we bought a family 5th wheel.

Today I traded that one for a 2015 F-350 SRW 4WD 6.7L KR Crew! Will post picture soon. I am so excited.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:00 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I've owned a '03 5.4 in a f350 for a decade. No issues with it at all. But if I was towing halfways heavy regularly I would never want to do it with a 5.4. I've towed with it a bunch over the years right up into about 10-12k. I've also flogged it like a rented mule it's whole life, probably underserviced it(but always full synthetics) and I'm driving it to work Monday still. A fantastic motor IMO, if it fits your needs.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:11 AM
V12guy
New User
I had a 95 F350 460 with an E4OD. Crewcab, long bed 4x4. I loved that truck. I tried many things to get more power and mileage out of it. None helped. As time went by and the 460's were obsolete, support for the OBD1(?) controller, which were 'clunky' at best became impossible to find. I had codes that nobody could find the descriptions on. Heck, nobody had the engine connector!
I was sad the day I sold it and the kid drove it away.
I CAN tell you my V10 truck has (seemingly) twice the power of the gas powered dog/detuned 460.

Quick Reply: 5.4 to 7.5 swap