1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

four wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 07:19 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
four wheel drive

whats the eisiest way to pop four wheel drive into a fatfender? i was thinking maybe just replacing the strait axle with a differential and required transfer case and such but began to thing maybe a bronco or 70's f150 frame that has the four wheel drive. any Ideas?

Old 08-27-2003, 09:05 PM
55 F-100 PAUL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
four wheel drive

I think puting the frame from a 70's or early 80's would be the best bet if you want a serous rig because then you have all the goodies like power steering and power brakes. Another reason I would choose this option is there are many products like lift kits, lockers, and so on available for these trucks. Doing this would create a couple of problems for you like the wheel base diference, how to mount the body onto the frame, and how to set up the things like the brakes. Here's a site that shows the wheelbases of various ford trucks https://www.ford-trucks.com/Wheelbases.html.

Old 08-28-2003, 06:21 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
four wheel drive

Swapping it onto a newer 4x4 chassis is goijg to be the easiest route. Easiest being a relative term. Unless you do a hack job, it will still be VERY time consuming. I have seen a number of them swapped. And most of them looked like poorly done. I've even considered it for a future project. Only thing holding me up is I know what I'm in for. Time and money, and lot's of both. It'll be worth a third of my investment when I'm done.

Old 08-29-2003, 04:50 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
four wheel drive

ii went out to our 55 today and measured the frame, then compared it to a 73's frame and they come within 1/2 an inch so i think that if I went to the newer 4x4 frame i could use the body mounts off the fatfender locate where the holes should be on the frame,make up for the 1/2 inch difference, drill holes and use grade 8 fasteners w/loctite and I shouldn't have any trouble with it all coming apart on me. at most I would need to shorten the frame, which means that I will have to be VERY careful to get it aligned right the first time. also I could use hanging pedals with minimal modifications but it should work right with newer power brakes. is there anything else I havent covered? i think that all that I will have to worry about now is where the shifter will come through the floor. also, any estamates on how much a rig like this would weigh?

Last edited by muscletruck7379; 08-29-2003 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:59 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
four wheel drive

Wild guess on weight is 4200 pounds. Issues I can think of are attachment of front sheetmetal so hood works correctly and still be able to steer the front wheels without sheetmetal interference. The newer truck chasssis/wheels are wider I believe. You can raise the body way up of course. That's where it starts looking tacky if you aren't careful with your fabbing. The truck would actually fit better on one of the longer Ranger chassis I suspect. Share the details if you proceed. It sounds like an interesting and challenging project.