6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

OBDII Splitter w/Bullydog & Torque Pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:22 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OBDII Splitter w/Bullydog & Torque Pro

I am hoping to run torque pro for monitoring on my Samsung tablet while also using my Bullydog GT with custom tunes. Planning on a Diageng OBDII y splitter from Amazon and a BAFX 34t5 Bluetooth ODBII scan tool. Can these both be run at the same time off the splitter?

Old 01-18-2017, 05:25 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard of issues trying to have 2 things trying to communicate at the same time.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:26 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Originally Posted by lightflyer
I have heard of issues trying to have 2 things trying to communicate at the same time.
+1 .

Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
I've read that if one device is communicating 2 ways it can cause some issues. Does the Bullydog communicate 2 ways when a tune isn't being loaded, or is it just getting the monitoring information from the ECM and only "flashes" the ECM when you change tunes?

Old 01-18-2017, 07:17 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
It has nothing to do with communication both ways. You can't send information to 2 different monitoring devices. Not just for our trucks, all OBDII vehicles. It may work for awhile or intermittently.
I plan on doing something similar to this. OBD2 Splitter/selector DIY-Use 2 OBD2 devices
Let me know if you are going to try it.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:28 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I have tried the "Y" splitter and lost connection to my SGII. Because the 2 devices don't synchronize
the data flow with each other you get both asking at the same time and get a log jam so to speak on
the network. The end results in my case was the SGII and the other unit would not update the readings.
One or the other by it's self were find.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:43 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
So if it doesn't work I could essentially turn off the Bullydog and only use it when loading a tune, and use torque for monitoring, correct? Would prefer that because you can only see 4 parameters at once on the BD.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:10 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by akblackfoot
So if it doesn't work I could essentially turn off the Bullydog and only use it when loading a tune, and use torque for monitoring, correct? Would prefer that because you can only see 4 parameters at once on the BD.
Yes that's the way to go.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:43 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Also keep in mind that "OFF" may not be off. It could still be talking to the PCM
even in the Off state.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:18 AM
lightflyer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have my Edge disconnected from the OBDII but the cable still in place. I run Torque for daily monitoring. I can always pop the Edge back in if needed. I have no need to be changing the economy tune on there for the most part.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:21 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
That might work. Keep in mind what Sean said is true: the devices both are querying the PCM/TCM through one set of channels to get data back and then potentially send commands back. I don't see how it could work unless there was a way for the PCM to determine who asked for what -- it only sees the requests and sends answers to "one" place... Switching either off keeps it one device talking at a time.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
If it's unplugged you might want to put it in a safer place.
Things like programmers have a bad habit of walking off
in some little skum-bags pocket.
We have seen it all too often.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:44 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
That might work. Keep in mind what Sean said is true: the devices both are querying the PCM/TCM through one set of channels to get data back and then potentially send commands back. I don't see how it could work unless there was a way for the PCM to determine who asked for what -- it only sees the requests and sends answers to "one" place... Switching either off keeps it one device talking at a time.
I'm thinking I could unplug the Bully Dog from the OBDII and just use it for the pyro reading, which comes through the docking station and separate probe and not from the PCM. Have the stuff on order so I'll update if it works or not.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:49 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
I'm thinking I could unplug the Bully Dog from the OBDII and just use it for the pyro reading, which comes through the docking station and separate probe and not from the PCM. Have the stuff on order so I'll update if it works or not.
You'll still have to supply it with power, right? There was a nice tidy digital pyro gauge I've seen in a couple threads on here -- I think it even allowed you to set alarms...

Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
It's powered by a 12v key on wire to the fuze box. It can be powered through the OBD port also but I'm pretty sure it will work not plugged in to the OBDII. There are two options on how to power it.

Quick Reply: OBDII Splitter w/Bullydog & Torque Pro